Biden: Nobody working 40 hours a week should be living below the poverty line.

AJClown

20 minutes ago, Downtown said:

Everyone should read about the velocity of money. 

Trickle up economics benefits everyone. 

Yep.  I really don't know why this concept isn't better understood.  It's going to end up at the top anyways. Might as well pass through 20 hands before it gets there.  

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like with most other things, there’s no perfect right or wrong answer. It’s all just a matter of the trade offs. There isn’t going to be some perfect one size fits all, cookie cutter solution.  

The headline seems hard to disagree with.   My biggest concern would be defining the poverty line.  Even at $15/hour that's only $31k per year.  That's still poverty in a lot of different pa

I'm all for raising the min wage but $15 seems high to me. Also, what about the small business owners who are on record saying they can't afford to pay employees a min $15? I've heard this from both s

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

this is incredibly stupid. Explain the logic behind your reasoning...

Sure, glad you asked...

One of CBO’s most important findings is that only 12 percent of low-wage workers (defined as those earning less than $19 per hour) belong to families living in poverty.

2 minutes ago, Rogue said:

Yep.  I really don't know why this concept isn't better understood.  It's going to end up at the top anyways. Might as well pass through 20 hands before it gets there.  

And this messaging should be shouted from the rooftops. Baffles me how bad Dems are with catch phrases and marketing a very easy concept. 

2 minutes ago, Downtown said:

And this messaging should be shouted from the rooftops. Baffles me how bad Dems are with catch phrases and marketing a very easy concept. 

It is baffling.  It's not even a hard concept.  It's certainly easier to understand than the rich are going to pass all their windfalls down to others. 

Yet..... 

2 minutes ago, abenjami said:

But does it benefit the upper class more than everyone else?  Because if the answer is no, there you have it.

Most of it is going to end up there anyways.  Even if people invest it, it's still going to benefit the richest corporations anyways.  Maybe not dollar for dollar.  Paying off debt?  Most of it won't be used to pay off pay day loans.  

About the only way it doesn't work it's way to the top is if it's spent illegally....and even then it likely ends up at the top.  People will still but shit, and the top is who ultimately benefits from people buying shit. 

17 minutes ago, titanthakur said:

Sure, glad you asked...

One of CBO’s most important findings is that only 12 percent of low-wage workers (defined as those earning less than $19 per hour) belong to families living in poverty.

That useless (and uncited) statistic has absolutely nothing to do with defending your lame statement

20 minutes ago, Downtown said:

That’s part of it, but it’s the lesser issue. The bigger issue is that the right has a propaganda network that would never let the Democratic messaging to get through to their audience.

4 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

That useless (and uncited) statistic has absolutely nothing to do with defending your lame statement

ok in layman’s terms if they increase the minimum wage to 15 then companies will not hire as many positions and there will be less jobs. More people will be unemployed with less jobs, and that will cause the disparity between upper and lower class to increase. 

26 minutes ago, titanthakur said:

ok in layman’s terms if they increase the minimum wage to 15 then companies will not hire as many positions and there will be less jobs. More people will be unemployed with less jobs, and that will cause the disparity between upper and lower class to increase. 

So your brilliant argument is that there are going to be half as many waiters and cashiers because they all get paid twice as much???

33 minutes ago, titanthakur said:

Classic Republican trickle-down horseshit.

6 minutes ago, Opus74 said:

Classic Republican trickle-down horseshit.

As if companies are currently employing excess employees...

They hire as many workers as they need to meet demand. Demand goes up when workers have more money to spend, leading to more jobs, leading to more demand, and so on...

8 hours ago, 52O said:

Terrible to federally mandated a $15 minimum 

Full time/Part Time = $15.00 per hour = still not enough. $28,800 a year may constitute poverty in America...... still got a few steps forward to make before workers are above poverty.

Back in the 1950's $28,800 may have seemed doing well. 70 years later cost of living has increased.

Why is it some people believe that workers should not be able to sustain themselves? and bitch about the cost of social services simultaneously?