Biden: Nobody working 40 hours a week should be living below the poverty line.

AJClown

2 minutes ago, titanthakur said:

Making college free helps more than increasing minimum wage. Increasing minimum wage will cause more people to not want higher education and better jobs and have a negative impact long term.

Who will want to go to school for 8 years to get a PhD and be a professor and make 60-75K a year when you can make 40-50K out of high school at McDonald’s.

I don't really agree with that.  But I do agree the cost of college is way too expensive and something needs to be done.  But at the same time, I'm not willing to foot the bill for everyone to go to college because that just means tax payers are lining the pockets of the colleges.

One potential solution, IMO is reforming the college curriculum.  Get rid of the general ed requirements for a Bachelor's degree.  Someone going into finance or software engineering shouldn't be required to take 2 years of general ed classes that have no relation to their career choice.  If getting a degree took 2 years instead of 5, that would cut the cost substantially.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like with most other things, there’s no perfect right or wrong answer. It’s all just a matter of the trade offs. There isn’t going to be some perfect one size fits all, cookie cutter solution.  

The headline seems hard to disagree with.   My biggest concern would be defining the poverty line.  Even at $15/hour that's only $31k per year.  That's still poverty in a lot of different pa

The problem isn't the minimum wage, though I'm fine if they raise it.  The problem is that policy and practice have steadily chipped away at the value of labor even as productivity has steadily increa

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, abenjami said:

I don't really agree with that.  But I do agree the cost of college is way too expensive and something needs to be done.  But at the same time, I'm not willing to foot the bill for everyone to go to college because that just means tax payers are lining the pockets of the colleges.

One potential solution, IMO is reforming the college curriculum.  Get rid of the general ed requirements for a Bachelor's degree.  Someone going into finance or software engineering shouldn't be required to take 2 years of general ed classes that have no relation to their career choice.  If getting a degree took 2 years instead of 5, that would cut the cost substantially.

That kinda kills the purpose of a university. 

The biggest cost driver is research activity. The federal government should find some way to keep universities from spending big bucks on frivolous research projects that are only designed to get add to the bottom line and boost CVs, versus actually improving society. 

Minimum wage is an area where I lean more conservative.    The way I see it, minimum wage is minimum wage;  it's lowest rung on the economic ladder regardless what number is attached to it.   Always has been, always will be.   

The unfortunate truth is that MW is the domain of inexperienced and/or unskilled labor....workers who offer little more than an ability to show up and do as they're told.     Those looking to earn more should take it upon themselves to DO more.   Get some experience. Acquire skills.  Learn a trade.   Give an employer a reason to pay more.   Make yourself valuable .

Rather than doubling the MW, I'd prefer that people be given more opportunity to better themselves.   Free education for anyone who wants it....free childcare for parents in school.

I won't pretend to have the answer.....but I'm pretty sure paying unskilled workers at skilled labor rates ain't it.

44 minutes ago, titanthakur said:

Making college free helps more than increasing minimum wage. Increasing minimum wage will cause more people to not want higher education and better jobs and have a negative impact long term.

Do you have anything other than your gut to back that up? I disgree.

44 minutes ago, titanthakur said:

Who will want to go to school for 8 years to get a PhD and be a professor and make 60-75K a year when you can make 40-50K out of high school at McDonald’s.

I know tons of people who got their PhDs or became professors b/c they actually enjoy what they do, not for the money. 

And if you can make 40-50k at McDonalds then the current 40-50k jobs that require more would have to increase their wages to get people to take those jobs. That's kinda the point.

The problem isn't the minimum wage, though I'm fine if they raise it.  The problem is that policy and practice have steadily chipped away at the value of labor even as productivity has steadily increased.  Instead of requiring employers to pay a person more money than they are worth to them, we should institute policies that make that person more valuable to the employer.  

Managers don't want to raise wages even when they are seeing record profits year after year.  They don't see their employees as an investment and would rather return money to stockholders to boost the value of the company.  They don't have to raise wages because there simply isn't enough demand to force them to.  If they were losing good employees regularly, they would be forced to raise wages to compete but they aren't so they don't.  It's that simple.  

30 minutes ago, luvyablue256 said:

That kinda kills the purpose of a university. 

No it doesn't.  It eliminates a bunch of unnecessary classes for people who don't need to take them because they aren't related to their eventually career choice.

I'm not saying don't offer the classes.  If someone wants to spend 5 years taking a bunch of classes in a variety of areas to explore stuff, no problem.  Just don't make it a requirement to get a degree because a lot of people don't need to take a course in Sociology 101 to succeed in real life.

Minimum wage should be increased, period.

College is expensive for the same reason luxury housing is expensive.  Both are places where the ultra rich park their gains.  State schools are the answer here.  Tennessee actually does a great job with the lottery scholarships.

But back to minimum wage - it's ridiculous.  It needs to be higher.

41 minutes ago, nine said:

Minimum wage is an area where I lean more conservative.    The way I see it, minimum wage is minimum wage;  it's lowest rung on the economic ladder regardless what number is attached to it.   Always has been, always will be.   

The unfortunate truth is that MW is the domain of inexperienced and/or unskilled labor....workers who offer little more than an ability to show up and do as they're told.     Those looking to earn more should take it upon themselves to DO more.   Get some experience. Acquire skills.  Learn a trade.   Give an employer a reason to pay more.   Make yourself valuable .

Rather than doubling the MW, I'd prefer that people be given more opportunity to better themselves.   Free education for anyone who wants it....free childcare for parents in school.

I won't pretend to have the answer.....but I'm pretty sure paying unskilled workers at skilled labor rates ain't it.

So you believe the majority of employees who work in a grocery store, restaurant, movie theatre, etc all deserve to be living in poverty?

6 minutes ago, titanthakur said:

Increasing minimum wage only makes the gap between the upper class and lower class wider. 

middle class loses big time if we make min wage $15. 

this is incredibly stupid. Explain the logic behind your reasoning...

9 minutes ago, titanthakur said:

Increasing minimum wage only makes the gap between the upper class and lower class wider. 

middle class loses big time if we make min wage $15. 

Lol no, not remotely accurate.