Biden: Nobody working 40 hours a week should be living below the poverty line.

AJClown

Biden wants to raise the minimum wage to 15 dollars per hour. He said "There should be a national minimum wage of $15 an hour..Nobody working 40 hours a week should be living below the poverty line.”

Do you agree with him? The 15 dollar per hour minimum wage has already passed the House. Mitch McConnell and the GOP blocked a floor vote in the Senate. Biden considers anybody making below 15 dollars per hour as "living in poverty".

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like with most other things, there’s no perfect right or wrong answer. It’s all just a matter of the trade offs. There isn’t going to be some perfect one size fits all, cookie cutter solution.  

The headline seems hard to disagree with.   My biggest concern would be defining the poverty line.  Even at $15/hour that's only $31k per year.  That's still poverty in a lot of different pa

The problem isn't the minimum wage, though I'm fine if they raise it.  The problem is that policy and practice have steadily chipped away at the value of labor even as productivity has steadily increa

Posted Images

They don’t have to raise the minimum wage. Instead the government could just continue subsidizing poverty wage employers by giving their impoverished employees food stamps, Medicaid, rental assistance, and free child lunches all at taxpayer expense...

8 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

They don’t have to raise the minimum wage. Instead the government could just continue subsidizing poverty wage employers by giving their impoverished employees food stamps, Medicaid, rental assistance, and free child lunches all at taxpayer expense...

Wait, that's giving employers free range to keep people i... Oh, I see.  

Edited by Number9

The ten countries with the highest minimum wages (in USD) are:

Luxembourg ($13.78)

Australia ($12.14)

France ($11.66)

New Zealand ($11.20)

Germany ($10.87)

Netherlands ($10.44)

Belgium ($10.38)

United Kingdom ($10.34)

Ireland ($9.62)

Canada ($9.52)

7 minutes ago, titanthakur said:

The ten countries with the highest minimum wages (in USD) are:

Luxembourg ($13.78)

Australia ($12.14)

France ($11.66)

New Zealand ($11.20)

Germany ($10.87)

Netherlands ($10.44)

Belgium ($10.38)

United Kingdom ($10.34)

Ireland ($9.62)

Canada ($9.52)

They also all provide free quality healthcare and education to all their citizens, so comparing minimum wages is worthless...

2 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

You’re usually on the right side of things, but sometimes you say really stupid shit. 

I might be more willing to get behind these with an amendment that people under 18 that aren’t providing for themselves could make $8 or something. 

4 minutes ago, abenjami said:

The headline seems hard to disagree with.

My biggest concern would be defining the poverty line.  Even at $15/hour that's only $31k per year.  That's still poverty in a lot of different parts of America.

Making college free helps more than increasing minimum wage. Increasing minimum wage will cause more people to not want higher education and better jobs and have a negative impact long term.

Who will want to go to school for 8 years to get a PhD and be a professor and make 60-75K a year when you can make 40-50K out of high school at McDonald’s.