Official DC search thread

MamlngEnvy

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If they keep Bowen, my faith in Vrabel will be incredibly diminished.

All this talk about retaining Bowen and bringing in Crennel as a senior advisor is bullshit. If your DC is not good enough to do his job without a senior advisor then he's not qualified for the job to

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

There is a big difference between sitting down and discussing what is the best move to help the defense going forward and JRob dictating Vrabel must hire a DC.

Mularkey wasn't a JRob hire and he was probably happy Mularkey gave him a reason to boot him out the door.

My point is that its easy for jrob to tell Vrabel he has to address the staff without telling him how. Its fairly common from an executive standpoint.

3 hours ago, tgo said:

Who called Teryl Austin the other day?

Someone mentioned him and I was skeptical due to the outside nature of the hire. Good call. 

I mentioned him in the ISO thread as my long shot for the job just because of his pedigree. Good to know they’re not just stuck in the Belichick tree. 

22 minutes ago, oldschool said:

My point is that its easy for jrob to tell Vrabel he has to address the staff without telling him how. Its fairly common from an executive standpoint.

To echo this, keep in mind that Vrabel and JRob has constant conversation. Vrabel is the one who decided what to do when Pees left -- meaning not hiring a DC, and then being weird about shielding Bowen. 

It failed miserably.

If you work with someone and they say, "here's what we're gonna do, trust me," and they fuck up so horribly that it makes both of you look bad, then that person will not have much of a say next time around. I'm sure JRob laid out the evidence to Vrabel and told him, in certain words, "your way didn't work. We're not doing your way again or else I won't be able to protect you."

Does anyone think maybe it wasn’t vrabel plan not to have a dc last year..maybe there wasn’t anyone he like or the situation was different with his last offseason was conducted. I don’t remember but did pees announce his retirement immediately?

2 minutes ago, 52O said:

Does anyone think maybe it wasn’t vrabel plan not to have a dc last year..maybe there wasn’t anyone he like or the situation was different with his last offseason was conducted. I don’t remember but did pees announce his retirement immediately?

What do you mean ‘not have a DC’ last year? We had Bowen. He just protected him by not naming him. He wanted a continuation of the Pees defense and saw Bowen as the guy to do it. It failed miserably. 

1 minute ago, japan said:

What do you mean ‘not have a DC’ last year? We had Bowen. He just protected him by not naming him. He wanted a continuation of the Pees defense and saw Bowen as the guy to do it. It failed miserably. 

I guess I meant a real dc he wasn’t ashamed to call his dc 

I'm very optimistic about the defense next season... if we are healthy and have a good coordinator. Assuming we resign our guys (which is a big assumption) here's what I see:

CB: Adoree, Butler, King, Fulton is as deep of a CB group as anyone in the league.

S: I really think Byard will bounce back with scheme, his 4 great years shouldn't be discounted after 1 bad season. Vaccaro should be gone and Hooker is a small upgrade. Cruikshank back helps a little too. We probably need to draft or sign a solid player here too.

LB: Long *should* replace Evans as a starter. Jayon back with a better scheme should give him a bump in performance if we can afford him.

DL: I'm in the minority of people who don't hate the d-line. I think scheme was the bigger issue than personnel. Simmons is elite. Jones and Landry are slightly above average. If Clowney is back he's an elite run defender and above average pass rusher. Tart could be a high energy difference maker on 3rd downs. We definitely need to sign a few guys here though.

My point is, it's not a dumpster fire.

The more I think about this - the more it seems like a real possibility as long as Meyer doesn't poach him first. 

Vrabel will have heard about him from a few guys he trusts the most in the league: Pees, Haslett, Urban Meyer, John Mitchell, etc. 

1 hour ago, Thrill said:

Jerod Mayo reportedly interviewing for the Eagles HC gig. He’s someone else I expect us to interview. 

Demeco Ryans in SF is another guy I would look at, though he will very likely get promoted when Saleh leaves. Vrabel tried to hire him when he first got the job, but SF blocked. All things considered, Mayo is my favorite potential candidate. 

Lol, and minutes after I say that, Saleh lands the Jets gig. 

Edited by WurthDraft

• Jonboy changed the title to Official DC search thread
  • Jonboy unpinned this topic