Official OC Search Thread

Jonboy

21 minutes ago, tgo said:

I'm not sure whether O'Hara is OC material or not. It's possible, but I'm not convinced. 

I think Carter is a better option than O'Hara (outside of the obvious one - Downing), as he's steeped in the Shanahan scheme and is a run guy, which would mesh more with Vrabel's philosophy. 

Well you also could have a situation where you’ve got an OC/play caller, a run game coordinator in a pass game coordinator......

Given how important quarterback play is to making the offense work, you certainly have to consider O’Hara as a viable candidate

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are a coach looking at OC jobs, how in the world could you not want to come to TN? Tannehill, AJB, and Henry. Top talent and the ability to coordinate a successful offense as NFL Owners continu

Vrabel leaking just enough to make it appear he actually tried to find someone other than Downing/Carter ?  

Lynn is an awful game manager but I think he's a really good OC.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, tgo said:

I'm not sure whether O'Hara is OC material or not. It's possible, but I'm not convinced. 

I think Carter is a better option than O'Hara (outside of the obvious one - Downing), as he's steeped in the Shanahan scheme and is a run guy, which would mesh more with Vrabel's philosophy. 

If we promoted from within Downing would be my clear choice because hes had a year as an OC & was considered to be very smart. Unfortunately when he took over Carr came off injury & a few other things happened & they had a bad year & was canned. Also, I think OL is the most important assistant coach, at least on offense. I want to keep Keith Carter where he is.

Downing has also said Scott Linehan is by far his biggest influence. He followed him around his whole career. I actually think that’s good, Linehan is a great OC though he got ripped in Dallas for the same reason every OC gets ripped. Because fans always hate their OC. Take every bad offense in the league & their fans will all blame “playcalling” instead of the players.

5 hours ago, tgo said:

I think at this point everyone is hoping he adjusts the philosophy. Picking Carter means more of the same, and after watching the Ravens debacle and how poorly the Bills played no one is excited about more of the same when it comes to that particular strategy.

It’s pretty obvious we should have dominated the Ravens only to have them play piss poor against the Bills and get demolished by an inaccurate QB in Allen, who missed two wide open TDs and several other throws. 

Easily could have been the Titans rematch versus KC, and the only thing holding them back is the run first philosophy in specific situations. 

This could be a terrible take in a week if Vrabel fills these openings, but I just think we’re watching Vrabel fall into the same failings we’ve seen from McDaniels, O’Brien, Patricia, etc. He thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room. 

He’s overbearing and micromanages. Now he’s not filling any of our open coordinators positions much less replacing the clearly disastrous special teams coordinator. It’s really the same playbook. If AAS didn’t love JRob I’d be concerned about him going for GM power as well. We might make the playoffs a few more times but I don’t think Vrabel will be our coach in 3-5 years. 

What I don't get is why we haven't really moved at all on this. Arthur Smith interviewed with the Jags hours after our playoff game. That was 2 weeks ago.

Belichick may be a secretive motherfucker, but after 6 championships in 9 trips to the Super Bowl and consecutive years after years of deep playoff runs he's earned the privilege of being a secretive motherfucker. What has Vrabel done so far to mimic that annoying trait of BB's?

50 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

What I don't get is why we haven't really moved at all on this. Arthur Smith interviewed with the Jags hours after our playoff game. That was 2 weeks ago.

Belichick may be a secretive motherfucker, but after 6 championships in 9 trips to the Super Bowl and consecutive years after years of deep playoff runs he's earned the privilege of being a secretive motherfucker. What has Vrabel done so far to mimic that annoying trait of BB's?

This is pretty much what pisses me off. Now, we’re a very paranoid organization. When we promoted Smith we also apparently interviewed other outside candidates but kept it secret. No other team does this. Ever. Even Belichick. But whatever, maybe that means we are interviewing guys or, even better, really like a guy or two in the final 4 teams.

But Vrabel absolutely has a bizarre staff filling process. It really comes off like he doesn’t give a shit. Even when he was first hired it took over a week to hear anything on the coordinator front. And now right off the bat he interviews Austin & tries to interview Elliot from Clemson, 2 Rooney guys. And then crickets. Last year Pees retires & then notbing for a few weeks & then some casual thing about Bowen calling most of the plays but not the official DC & he doesn’t understand why people care so much about titles. Well Mike, titles are pretty friggin important because in almost every walk of life, including your own THEY DETERMINE YOUR FUCKING SALARY. Perhaps he would’ve been fine taking the Titans HC job but keeping his DC salary in Houston & given a vague title like “Coach”.

I also think this is part of his personality, everything from never telling the media a single thing to hiring coaches. It’s like he has a disdain for having to explain anything. In some ways that’s good. I’ve said before he has a lot of Parcells in him. But Oarcells also won huge & I think he was a little bit more charming with the media. He had a few media guys he favored & gave a lot to while he beat up on others. Vrabel can be funny & tongue in cheek but often he is very condescending & short, often for no reason. The Corey Davis explanation should’ve been a big deal. You have a top WR out of the most crucial part of the game, who didn’t look hurt BTW, and the best you can do is say “obviously he couldn’t go”. The fans deserve more then that after an awful loss Mike.

59 minutes ago, Face said:

This is pretty much what pisses me off. Now, we’re a very paranoid organization. When we promoted Smith we also apparently interviewed other outside candidates but kept it secret. No other team does this. Ever. Even Belichick. But whatever, maybe that means we are interviewing guys or, even better, really like a guy or two in the final 4 teams.

But Vrabel absolutely has a bizarre staff filling process. It really comes off like he doesn’t give a shit. Even when he was first hired it took over a week to hear anything on the coordinator front. And now right off the bat he interviews Austin & tries to interview Elliot from Clemson, 2 Rooney guys. And then crickets. Last year Pees retires & then notbing for a few weeks & then some casual thing about Bowen calling most of the plays but not the official DC & he doesn’t understand why people care so much about titles. Well Mike, titles are pretty friggin important because in almost every walk of life, including your own THEY DETERMINE YOUR FUCKING SALARY. Perhaps he would’ve been fine taking the Titans HC job but keeping his DC salary in Houston & given a vague title like “Coach”.

I also think this is part of his personality, everything from never telling the media a single thing to hiring coaches. It’s like he has a disdain for having to explain anything. In some ways that’s good. I’ve said before he has a lot of Parcells in him. But Oarcells also won huge & I think he was a little bit more charming with the media. He had a few media guys he favored & gave a lot to while he beat up on others. Vrabel can be funny & tongue in cheek but often he is very condescending & short, often for no reason. The Corey Davis explanation should’ve been a big deal. You have a top WR out of the most crucial part of the game, who didn’t look hurt BTW, and the best you can do is say “obviously he couldn’t go”. The fans deserve more then that after an awful loss Mike.

Are you ready to jump on the anti Vrabel train yet?

• Jonboy changed the title to Official OC Search Thread (Update: Interviewing Pep Hamilton)
4 minutes ago, titanskick8851 said:

NEWS!!!

Vrabel will be busy the next 48hrs working out who leaked this to Rapoport.

Seriously though its good to know they are interviewing outside candidates, Hamilton did an outstanding job with Justin Herbert last season.

Still think that they would like to talk to Nathaniel Hackett whenever the Packers season ends.

Edited by AussieTitanFan08

17 minutes ago, Titan_Aussie said:

How high do people rate Pep Hamilton?

He runs a much different scheme than ours; would be a very odd fit. Probably Rooney Rule replacement for Elliott since he declined to interview. 

13 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Vrabel will be busy the next 48hrs working out who leaked this to Rapoport.

Seriously though its good to know they are interviewing outside candidates, Hamilton did an outstanding job with Justin Herbert last season.

Still think that they would like to talk to Nathaniel Hackett whenever the Packers season ends.

Robinson leaks to Rapoport. Either that or the agent. 

• Jonboy changed the title to Official OC Search Thread