Be Jon Robinson - Titans Opt-Outs

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Titans have a number of veteran starters who have buy-out clauses this offseason. We don't know what the salary cap will be in 2021. But there is always some desire to create cap space to add an

I don't trust Jackson. He's not anywhere near what a #1 CB should be.

It will be difficult to cut Butler. He is the only CB who didn’t have a terrible year.    Vaccaro is the easiest cut on the team, he sucks. Agree that Kelly and Humphries can go 

Posted Images

It is very tough to see them being able to re-construct the roster with only cuts to Humphries, Vaccaro, and Butler. They are going to need to renegotiate and restructure several players deals (Tannehill/Henry/Lewan). They only have 11 players on the roster set to earn more than $4M, so there aren't many players to ask to restructure. 

I personally think they have to make a decision between Adoree and Malcolm. One is younger/injury prone, while the other is only, but one of the main playmakers. They can cut Adoree (assuming he passes a physical) and free up $10M as well. Adoree had a brief streak of playing well in the playoffs last year, but has been banged up for much of two years now. No way would I want them to re-sign him to a long-term deal at this point. His lack of ball skills is glaring as well. If the defense is going to be bad, I would rather us have younger guys out there developing then putting big money into the position and those players not contributing due to injuries or other issues.

I think on the OL they are really going to have to think about Saffold long and hard. I don't think they want to cut him, but if they are struggling to find the space they could very well move on a year too early, rather than a year too late.

Hump and Vaccaro are no brainers to cut at this point. You basically have to keep Kelly due to the injury to Lewan, lack of depth, and the waste of a pick that was Isaiah Wilson.

As a note as far as positional spending goes, we have a lot of money in:

Secondary - 9 players under contract - $51,368,322 devoted to the cap - 28.79% of the cap - #1 in spending at this position group in the league

Offensive Line - 12 players under contract - $48,345,153 devoted to the cap - 27.10% of the cap - #7 in spending at this position group in the league

Those are the two groups that are in need of the most changes in terms of dollars. Those two position groups cover more than half of the teams salary.

Edited by titanskick8851
9 minutes ago, titanskick8851 said:

It is very tough to see them being able to re-construct the roster with only cuts to Humphries, Vaccaro, and Butler. They are going to need to renegotiate and restructure several players deals (Tannehill/Henry/Lewan). They only have 11 players on the roster set to earn more than $4M, so there aren't many players to ask to restructure. 

I personally think they have to make a decision between Adoree and Malcolm. One is younger/injury prone, while the other is only, but one of the main playmakers. They can cut Adoree (assuming he passes a physical) and free up $10M as well. Adoree had a brief streak of playing well in the playoffs last year, but has been banged up for much of two years now. No way would I want them to re-sign him to a long-term deal at this point. His lack of ball skills is glaring as well. If the defense is going to be bad, I would rather us have younger guys out there developing then putting big money into the position and those players not contributing due to injuries or other issues.

I think on the OL they are really going to have to think about Saffold long and hard. I don't think they want to cut him, but if they are struggling to find the space they could very well move on a year too early, rather than a year too late.

Hump and Vaccaro are no brainers to cut at this point. You basically have to keep Kelly due to the injury to Lewan, lack of depth, and the waste of a pick that was Isaiah Wilson.

Don't disagree with anything other than the restructures.  While it sounds attractive, what does a restructured contract for these guys look like down the road?   The 2022 cap numbers are: Tannehill 34M, Henry 15M, and Lewan 15M.  Are you sure that you want to increase those numbers?

8 minutes ago, ctm said:

Don't disagree with anything other than the restructures.  While it sounds attractive, what does a restructured contract for these guys look like down the road?   The 2022 cap numbers are: Tannehill 34M, Henry 15M, and Lewan 15M.  Are you sure that you want to increase those numbers?

Oh no I definitely know that there are drawbacks, but as I said you only really have 11 players who can really, possibly restructure.

Take away Tannehill/Henry/Lewan.

Can't ask Byard as he already restructured earlier in the year.

Adoree - Maybe you can ask for him to restructure the deal, but with his injury history he doesn't have to. Only options is keeping him or cutting him (if healthy).

Ben Jones and Dennis Kelly - Maybe they would if you add an extra year?

Then you are just left with the guys that are at most risk of being cap casualties; Butler, Vaccaro, Humphries, and Saffold. We know Vaccaro and Hump are basically gone. So biggest question is the debate between Butler/Adoree and then what can you do between Jones/Kelly/Saffold in terms of freeing up money.

Edited by titanskick8851
18 minutes ago, titanskick8851 said:

As a note as far as positional spending goes, we have a lot of money in:

Secondary - 9 players under contract - $51,368,322 devoted to the cap - 28.79% of the cap - #1 in spending at this position group in the league

Offensive Line - 12 players under contract - $48,345,153 devoted to the cap - 27.10% of the cap - #7 in spending at this position group in the league

Those are the two groups that are in need of the most changes in terms of dollars. Those two position groups cover more than half of the teams salary.

With how bad our secondary was, I see Vacarro gone and probably Butler as well. It’s a shame because I love Butler but we have to roll the dice on Adoree and Fulton if we want to resign any of our guys most likely.

Unless we can work out a deal with him where this upcoming year is guaranteed at a lower cap number (say 9 million) and then in 2022 he has a guaranteed 5 million. That way he still gets his money for next year but we pay a third of it in 2022 and can still cut the rest of his base 14 million in 2022. It’d be the same money overall for him either way so I can’t see it being too big of an issue.

Edited by Thrill

You can't bring back Vaccaro (performance) or Kelly.  Tannehill would be pretty safe,imo, to restructure as QB play usually doesn't dip as much as the other positions.  Not restructuring Henry.  I guess they could restructure Lewan.

I'd like to restructure Butler but I can understand why they'd cut him loose.  That being said, they'd better have a more solid backup CB group or plan if Jackson flames out in 2021.

4 minutes ago, titanskick8851 said:

Oh no I definitely know that there are drawbacks, but as I said you only really have 11 players who can really, possibly restructure.

Take away Tannehill/Henry/Lewan.

Can't ask Byard as he already restructured earlier in the year.

Adoree - Maybe you can ask for him to restructure the deal, but with his injury history he doesn't have to. Only options is keeping him or cutting him (if healthy).

Ben Jones and Dennis Kelly - Maybe they would if you add an extra year?

Then you are just left with the guys that are at most risk of being cap casualties; Butler, Vaccaro, Humphries, and Saffold. We know Vaccaro and Hump are basically gone. So biggest question is the debate between Butler/Adoree and then what can you do between Jones/Kelly/Saffold in terms of freeing up money.

Maybe the team just isn't very active in free agency and they wait a year till the salary cap recovers.  They should have enough space to sign Davis and/or Smith, draft primarily defense and then sign a few bargain depth players in free agency to fill out the bottom of the depth chart.

I really want to know if Adoree was healthy these last few weeks. Between the horrific play there and the total lack of awareness in the NE playoff game last year, it is a mistake for him to be our top CB. All things considered and if Adoree was healthy this past two weeks, I’d rather trade him and keep an older Butler. 

We need more players with Butler’s edge AND production, not less

6 minutes ago, ctm said:

Maybe the team just isn't very active in free agency and they wait a year till the salary cap recovers.  They should have enough space to sign Davis and/or Smith, draft primarily defense and then sign a few bargain depth players in free agency to fill out the bottom of the depth chart.

Definitely possible. I am in the camp that I want us to totally re-start on defense. You Jeff Simmons on the DL and Byard at Safety. Other than that they need to make the changes necessary. Hopefully Hooker steps up into a more permanent role, Long continues to improve, and Landry is able to actually rush more and given some breathers. 

1 minute ago, AvgJoe said:

I really want to know if Adoree was healthy these last few weeks. Between the horrific play there and the total lack of awareness in the NE playoff game last year, it is a mistake for him to be our top CB. All things considered and if Adoree was healthy this past two weeks, I’d rather trade him and keep an older Butler. 

We need more players with Butler’s edge AND production, not less

Yep, I think its fair to say that Adoree as CB1 vs top WRs isnt going to happen. He doesn't have the skillset or ball awareness to make that kind of game changing impact. Going into next year thinking that he is up for that challenge when he hasn't done well in that spot would be silly and insane. Some people can blame injury, but I have also always been a big "your best ability, is your availability" and if you are going to count for more than $10M against the cap you have to be an impact player. Honestly, even though he got burnt a bit, Borders play was just as good as Adoree's was. Speed is great and all, except when you can't locate the ball or make any plays with the ball in the air.

Cut Humphries, Vaccaro, Kelly, Butler. 

Keep Saffold. 

Kelly is the toughest call though with the Isaiah Wilson situation, but I think we could replicate Kelly's "success" with Sambrailo or Quessenberry or maybe even Newhouse until a rookie is ready (we definitely need to draft a RT in the mid rounds at least). 

Edited by tgo
1 minute ago, titanskick8851 said:

Definitely possible. I am in the camp that I want us to totally re-start on defense. You Jeff Simmons on the DL and Byard at Safety. Other than that they need to make the changes necessary. Hopefully Hooker steps up into a more permanent role, Long continues to improve, and Landry is able to actually rush more and given some breathers. 

I can see the 1st 4 draft picks on defense:  DL, OLB, ILB, slot CB, in no particular order.  Then they still need some depth behind them.

Bottom line to me....everything depends on the actual cap number and what they decide to do about Wilson and the RT spot.  Both are unknowns as of today.