Democrats should target party-switchers from GOP

luvyablue256

In the 1994 midterms, the Republicans swept the House and Senate (also called the "Republican Revolution") after push back against Clinton's progressive agenda. Bob Dole as Senate Majority Leader targeted conservative Democrats to switch to the GOP to increase margins. Richard Shelby ended up taking him up on that offer. Considering that Trump essentially helped Democrats win a trifecta this November, they should target moderate GOP Senators, Congressmen and Governors to switch to the Democrats. This is really the only way for the Republican party to fully cleanse itself of Trumpism. 

Watch this entire video and let's discuss. Who are some options? 

The parties are actually different now so switching just doesn't make sense. Back in the days Joe Biden likes to bring up there just wasn't as big of a difference in the parties. There were liberal and conservative members of both parties. It's not really that way now.

Maybe Murkowski would become independent. I don't see her joining the Democrats.

13 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

The parties are actually different now so switching just doesn't make sense. Back in the days Joe Biden likes to bring up there just wasn't as big of a difference in the parties. There were liberal and conservative members of both parties. It's not really that way now.

Maybe Murkowski would become independent. I don't see her joining the Democrats.

While an older graphic from the Washington Post, it’s one of several you can find that illustrate the point above:

image.jpeg.a86f222373b4d7e9a5168fd60566450f.jpeg

As you can see, both parties are retreating from the middle, with the Republican Party moving at a much more rapid pace. 

15 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

I actually heard a pretty good breakdown of how ranked-choice voting in AK gives Murkowski tons of leeway to leave the Republican party, run as an independent, and caucus with the dems. 

55 minutes ago, TitansFan777 said:

Yup. This rarely works out for a congressman. Look at Arlen Specter for example. PA voters lost their shit when he switched. 

For what it’s worth, Republicans lost their shit when he voted for Obama's stimulus bill. He switched parties because he knew he would lose his next GOP primary for sure. 

1 hour ago, Titans279 said:

I don't think previous logic or conventional wisdom can be applied going forward. Clearly Trump is an infection on the GOP, and Democrats need numbers going forward. 

29 minutes ago, luvyablue256 said:

I don't think previous logic or conventional wisdom can be applied going forward. Clearly Trump is an infection on the GOP, and Democrats need numbers going forward. 

I don't really see much sign that things have really changed. I guess we'll see!

Who are these real world moderate Republicans ready and willing to join the Democratic Party? I guess there could be a lot of them over there all huddled together in the next room, I just can’t see then past Representative Bigfoot and Senator Yeti...

1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

Who are these real world moderate Republicans ready and willing to join the Democratic Party? I guess there could be a lot of them over there all huddled together in the next room, I just can’t see then past Representative Bigfoot and Senator Yeti...

Here's a start 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Republicans_who_opposed_the_Donald_Trump_2020_presidential_campaign

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/533232-three-republican-governors-call-for-trumps-removal-or-resignation-after

Archived