Free speech debate in America

Starkiller

7 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Amazon and Facebook are private entities. They don’t have checks and balances. They have terms and conditions.

There is an entire episode of South Park that could educate those that do not understand the perils of "terms and conditions".

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Liberals to Conservatives..."you can't discriminate against people."   Conservatives to Liberals..."you are discriminating against me by not allowing me to discriminate others"   T

It's not about free speech, literally no private company cares about free speech. It's always been about taking the temperature of the room and seeing what standards your company and services abide by

2 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

Therein lies one of the issues SK brings up; who can morally determine what is a conspiracy theory/propaganda is?

This is a big part of the problem. Both sides of the political spectrum can’t agree on what is a fact so how do we moderate speech? 

Look at the flat earth theories. It isn’t even political. Obviously it is scientifically laughable (or detestable) but no one is directly committing a crime. But there are thousands of idiotic YouTube videos out there trying to con morons into believing the world is flat.

7 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

This is a big part of the problem. Both sides of the political spectrum can’t agree on what is a fact so how do we moderate speech? 

Look at the flat earth theories. It isn’t even political. Obviously it is scientifically laughable (or detestable) but no one is directly committing a crime. But there are thousands of idiotic YouTube videos out there trying to con morons into believing the world is flat.

Yet we let those idiots speak their insanity as they will only end up killing themselves and not others.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51602655

Edited by Oilertattoo

6 minutes ago, Oilertattoo said:

Yet we let those idiots speak their insanity as they will only end up killing themselves and not others.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51602655

Yeah, I’m ok if they only kill themselves in the process. That’s up to them. As long as they don’t harm anyone else then it’s not so much of a big deal.

Though as I understand it, the rocket guy just wanted them to pay for his homemade rocket. I’m not sure he was actually a believer. Not very bright either way.

12 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Facebook said it was a mistake.  

https://reason.com/2021/01/11/ron-paul-says-hes-been-locked-out-of-facebook/?fbclid=IwAR0akPbwUqO6yvyvYEQzjtBwwGddyJ348szNjsFU0eWaFYnbTpqRg3osHR4

In an email on Monday night, a Facebook spokesperson told Reason that it had mistakenly locked former Rep. Ron Paul's page. "While there were never any restrictions on Ron Paul's page, we restricted one admin's ability to post by mistake. We have corrected the error."

RP is posting again.  

My guess would be he posted something and FB's algorithms found key words and flagged it.