The Interception to Raymond

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The criticism on Tannehill is ridiculous. No one bitched last year when Tannehill went deep to Raymond in clutch situations. Next man up. Raymond ran into the defender and fell over; it was 100% Raymo

You dont make raymond the 1at read for the game deciding play of the season.   Thats the issue i have with this offense. We use almost everyone as interchangeable pieces and RT is a 1 read Q

So dumb.  I'm sure Tannehill, while going through his reads with defenders bearing down on him, thinks 'well, I know my first read is open, but he's a backup so I should move off him to the second rea

3 hours ago, BudsOilers said:

Clearly the primary read was the route that Raymond ran......Also the Ravens were playing man - Peters was on Raymond the whole time.

When I was rewatching the play my first thought was AJB wasnt suppose to be running that route. I have no clue what the play was suppose to be but it just didn't look like a normal Arthur Smith route combos.

We usually see a lot of hi lo route combos when working the middle of the field. This is the case for majority of NFL offenses. Jonnu and Raymond were on a wheel route combo. Typically you see a dig or a crosser from the left side to occupy the LBs or to be the 2nd look/outlet if the DBs cover the wheel routes and the LBs drop deep. Its also possible he was suppose to be running a post to occupy the deep safety.

Edited by CaliTitan3518
1 minute ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

When I was rewatching the play my first thought was AJB wasnt suppose to be running that route. I have no clue what the play was suppose to be but it just didn't look like a normal Arthur Smith route combos.

We usually see a lot of hi lo route combos when working the middle of the field. This is the case for majority of NFL offenses. Jonnu and Raymond were on a wheel route combo. Typically you see a dig or a crosser from the left side to occupy the LBs or to be the 2nd look/outlet if the DBs cover the wheel routes and the LBs drop deep. 

Pre snap single high safety, Peters bails during cadence so good indicator its a cover 3. Probably takes away the Jonnu wheel route so primary read is Raymond. Since its a zone Raymond is looking to find the soft spot between the LBs and Safety. Peters just read it all the way through and sat on the route. Sure its easy to say Tannehill should have seen that but Peters isn't the read when the ball is going to Raymond.

Peters still covered Raymond in man but it was a huge cushion.  I agree that he read the play perfectly and also was savvy in using his left arm to "help" Raymond fall.  I do think you could say he cut off Raymond but with him facing the ball, I can see why the ref swallowed the whistle there....

I'd also say if Brown was the primary on the play, Tannehill undoubtedly would have looked there first and thrown it to him.

1 hour ago, BudsOilers said:

Peters still covered Raymond in man but it was a huge cushion.  I agree that he read the play perfectly and also was savvy in using his left arm to "help" Raymond fall.  I do think you could say he cut off Raymond but with him facing the ball, I can see why the ref swallowed the whistle there....

I'd also say if Brown was the primary on the play, Tannehill undoubtedly would have looked there first and thrown it to him.

ya you are right it is man. Endzone view you can really tell. Sideline view it was hard to tell if LBs were dropping into zones. 

Peters really just sat on the route. Hes always been known for doing this. 

On 1/12/2021 at 9:19 AM, abenjami said:

I've never seen that stat before.  Post the link.

This is the one from the season before he was a titan 18-19. But some stat guys were talking about this same stat from the year he took over (19-20) going into the 20-21 year. I can't find it now but I'll keep looking.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-the-best-quarterbacks-on-first-and-second-read-throws-patrick-mahomes-drew-brees-aaron-rodgers

45 minutes ago, titanruss said:

This is the one from the season before he was a titan 18-19. But some stat guys were talking about this same stat from the year he took over (19-20) going into the 20-21 year. I can't find it now but I'll keep looking.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-the-best-quarterbacks-on-first-and-second-read-throws-patrick-mahomes-drew-brees-aaron-rodgers

I've only seen the one you linked.  Hard to see what's relevant about what Tannehill did in Miami in 2018 under Adam Gase and that OL in the data used to make this.  Likewise, given that 80% or more of the pass plays are thrown to the first read across the league, this is one of those analytical stats that's pretty hollow in the grand scheme of things. 

As @oldschool pointed out pages ago, there's a pattern here that's pretty obvious.