The Interception to Raymond

BudsOilers

29 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

I think he's making the point that the coaches shouldn't be making raymond the first read at a crucial time of the game.

Tannehill didn't go thru any reads on that play

Because the 1st read was clearly open, do you guys not understand how progressions work? This isn't madden. Raymond was either the presnap read, the primary option, or both on that play. Trying to act like Tannehill is a one read QB because he threw to an open WR who was the primary option is insane. Now if you want to argue that Raymond should never be the primary read with less than 2 mins trailing by 4 in a playoff game, I can entertain that. Griese said as much on the broadcast.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The criticism on Tannehill is ridiculous. No one bitched last year when Tannehill went deep to Raymond in clutch situations. Next man up. Raymond ran into the defender and fell over; it was 100% Raymo

You dont make raymond the 1at read for the game deciding play of the season.   Thats the issue i have with this offense. We use almost everyone as interchangeable pieces and RT is a 1 read Q

So dumb.  I'm sure Tannehill, while going through his reads with defenders bearing down on him, thinks 'well, I know my first read is open, but he's a backup so I should move off him to the second rea

32 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

I think he's making the point that the coaches shouldn't be making raymond the first read at a crucial time of the game.

Tannehill didn't go thru any reads on that play

The OL was getting killed and he wasn’t exactly getting a lot of time in the pocket. Raymond was beyond NFL definition of open and RT pulled the trigger. When you’re under duress most of the day and someone is by all definitions REALLY open, you let it loose.

The failure of the OL and Raymond are the problem there, not RT. 

3 minutes ago, scine09 said:

It's really hard to rip the refs for that when they didn't call Brown on a blatant OPI and then called that ridiculous OPI on the Ravens.

So walk me through how that was OPI on Brown. The defender never got his head around and if you want to argue he used his arm for leverage, they both were fighting for it. There was never a push and the defender fell over. 

Thing is the Ravens CB never got his head around. As I understand it, if the defender doesn’t get their head around it’s rare they call any type of interference on the offense because the defender never made an attempt to play the ball. 

On the Ravens example though, it fit the definition of the pick which draws the OPI in that scenario. Ticky tack? You could argue that, but it fit the definition more than anything Brown did in my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, Aramis said:

So walk me through how that was OPI on Brown. The defender never got his head around and if you want to argue he used his arm for leverage, they both were fighting for it. There was never a push and the defender fell over. 

Thing is the Ravens CB never got his head around. As I understand it, if the defender doesn’t get their head around it’s rare they call any type of interference on the offense because the defender never made an attempt to play the ball. 

On the Ravens example though, it fit the definition of the pick which draws the OPI in that scenario. Ticky tack? You could argue that, but it fit the definition more than anything Brown did in my opinion. 

If they didn't call an OPI and say Hollywood Brown did that it would be a major topic here.  And if the Titans were on offense and they called an OPI like they did on the Ravens and it had cost them?  The thread would get to 100 pages faster than any other thread.

Edited by scine09

2 minutes ago, scine09 said:

If they didn't call an OPI and saw Hollywood Brown did that it would be a major topic here.  And if the Titans were on offense and they called an OPI like they did on the Ravens and it had cost them?  The thread would get to 100 pages faster than any other thread.

Well of course that’s what fans do. If roles were reversed, I wouldn’t have an issue with it because of how the rule is defined. If the defender is playing the man and not the ball there without getting his head around, oh well. 

You could argue the make up call came on the final interception. GB and KC get that defensive PI call there that Vrabel wanted on Peters even if Raymond fell by running into him.

15 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Because the 1st read was clearly open, do you guys not understand how progressions work? This isn't madden. Raymond was either the presnap read, the primary option, or both on that play. Trying to act like Tannehill is a one read QB because he threw to an open WR who was the primary option is insane. Now if you want to argue that Raymond should never be the primary read with less than 2 mins trailing by 4 in a playoff game, I can entertain that. Griese said as much on the broadcast.

Well like I said I think he was arguing that raymond should not have been the primary read in that situation.

11 minutes ago, Aramis said:

Well of course that’s what fans do. If roles were reversed, I wouldn’t have an issue with it because of how the rule is defined. If the defender is playing the man and not the ball there without getting his head around, oh well. 

You could argue the make up call came on the final interception. GB and KC get that defensive PI call there that Vrabel wanted on Peters even if Raymond fell by running into him.

Eh maybe.  I think they were swallowing the whistle all game.  It's amazing that they called the OPI to be honest.  The penalties in the games I watched in the playoffs last weekend were almost non existent.

Edited by scine09

3 minutes ago, scine09 said:

Eh maybe.  I think they were swallowing the whistle all game.  It's amazing that they called the OPI to be honest.  The penalties in the games I watched in the playoffs were almost non existent.

I think they let them play Sunday. I was upset with the BS that went down prior to the half ending and not getting the ball back. I didn’t see anything on Bates to indicate holding prior to the kick. There was definitely a hold on the Ravens prior to the kick, though.

2 minutes ago, Aramis said:

I think they let them play Sunday. I was upset with the BS that went down prior to the half ending and not getting the ball back. I didn’t see anything on Bates to indicate holding prior to the kick. There was definitely a hold on the Ravens prior to the kick, though.

Yeah that was an odd call.  I can't remember the last time I even saw that happen in a game.

33 minutes ago, Aramis said:

The OL was getting killed and he wasn’t exactly getting a lot of time in the pocket. Raymond was beyond NFL definition of open and RT pulled the trigger. When you’re under duress most of the day and someone is by all definitions REALLY open, you let it loose.

The failure of the OL and Raymond are the problem there, not RT. 

Tannehill actually had a clean pocket on that play and raymond was not clearly open ..it was a tight window throw.  I think the fact that the defender was right there indicates he wasn't open.

If raymond was his target he should have at least looked the safety off....a simple glance to AJ would have done that.  Middle of the field would have opened up and tannehill could have led raymond away from peters.   The safety reading tannehills eyes forced the throw and raymond back into peters.

25 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

Tannehill actually had a clean pocket on that play and raymond was not clearly open ..it was a tight window throw.  I think the fact that the defender was right there indicates he wasn't open.

If raymond was his target he should have at least looked the safety off....a simple glance to AJ would have done that.  Middle of the field would have opened up and tannehill could have led raymond away from peters.   The safety reading tannehills eyes forced the throw and raymond back into peters.

I need to go back and look. I just remember the downfield camera angle showing Raymond open. Believe me, this play should’ve been dialed up to AJ all the way. Have to find ways to get the ball in the hands of your play makers in big games.

No PI on this play?!?! Raymond was looking back for the ball and whacked on the ground. I know the Ref was letting them play.  This was not a wide receiver being redirected, he was tackled! Listen to the broadcasters tap dancing. They saw this play as PI. Go to 0:28 second, the replay made the broadcaster hesitate.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30687874/baltimore-ravens-celebration-tennessee-titans-logo-team-unity-not-disrespect

32 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

wide open by nfl standards. He made the right read and threw a perfect ball, harping on this play is pointless.