Titans 2021 Off-Season Primer

titanskick8851

The lack of pass rush isn't just because we don't have good EDGE players (though this is still an issue). The scheme is a problem -- we discussed all last year about how this defense doesn't prioritize edge rushers that much. Instead, it creates pressure in varying ways and values being multiple over a pure 4-man rush.

I didn't like the scheme last year either and many of us yelled all year about increasing the priority of pure rushers, but the defense got away with it some because of redzone efficiency, and Dean Pees maximizing the talent with his playcalls. It still wasn't great, just serviceable.

Last year was the ceiling; we need to change the base scheme and philosophy to match modern offenses.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2021 Titans Off-Season Primer   Overview: Despite a roster that clearly had flaws and an early playoff exit along with the best offense we have seen since the Titans came to Nashville, 2020

The INT to Raymond is so far down the list of reasons the Titans lost to the Ravens it isn't even funny 

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Justafan said:

I think there is a case to be made that mid tier free agents could make a big difference to this defense.  Guys like KVB and Babbins from several years ago.  

Who those guys are or if they will be available and affordable I have no idea but I'm hoping for a couple of Dennis Kelly like moves on defense just to shore things up in addition to some new blood at DC.

I also agree that retaining talent on offense, fixing the Oline, and backfilling key contributors takes priority over elite pass rushers.  I think you probably draft a potential guy early and you sign a mid-tier FA to hopefully help the pass rush but I honestly don't see what more they will be able to do given the current cap situation and draft resources.   

Wilson was drafted to start over Kelly and we wouldn’t have Kelly on the books this year. Fulton was drafted to replace Butler, but he barely played and Butler played amazing, but I we had vision of Fulton being Butler esque or better and to clear his cap space this off-season. 

If we hit on those picks like we should have (some players just don’t turn out for multitude of reasons) we would be in a decent position cap wise this year. 8 think Fulton will be fine and we will be happy soon about him, but we likely missed badly in the first round. I can see a RT drafted in the third. 

I think we will be fine. Picking middle first and second and third rounds plus the camp 3rd will really help. We can grab a pass rusher, corner, RT and WR in those three picks

5 hours ago, kyle021 said:

Wilson was drafted to start over Kelly and we wouldn’t have Kelly on the books this year. Fulton was drafted to replace Butler, but he barely played and Butler played amazing, but I we had vision of Fulton being Butler esque or better and to clear his cap space this off-season. 

If we hit on those picks like we should have (some players just don’t turn out for multitude of reasons) we would be in a decent position cap wise this year. 8 think Fulton will be fine and we will be happy soon about him, but we likely missed badly in the first round. I can see a RT drafted in the third. 

I think we will be fine. Picking middle first and second and third rounds plus the camp 3rd will really help. We can grab a pass rusher, corner, RT and WR in those three picks

Back from the dead! In case anything happens to you we need ten years worth of mocks in short order so stop slacking off and get to it. 

On 1/24/2021 at 10:16 PM, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Won't still be elite if you let Davis and Jonnu walk like many here want to.

Love me some Davis and Jonnu and ill admit, if Lewan was playing Jonnu would be more used but did you see the Ravens game. Let me know what Davis or Jonnu did? 

42 minutes ago, Doogie said:

Love me some Davis and Jonnu and ill admit, if Lewan was playing Jonnu would be more used but did you see the Ravens game. Let me know what Davis or Jonnu did? 

Bit hard to show up with so few opportunities when the offense was basically based around running Henry up the middle on early downs and killing drives.

If the decision is made to move on from Malcolm Butler due to salary cap reasons one of the guys who is getting a lot of buzz at the Senior Bowl UCF CB Aaron Robinson might be a good long term replacement, he has the identical height/weight combination as Butler and plays with a similar feisty aggression.

2 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

If the decision is made to move on from Malcolm Butler due to salary cap reasons one of the guys who is getting a lot of buzz at the Senior Bowl UCF CB Aaron Robinson might be a good long term replacement, he has the identical height/weight combination as Butler and plays with a similar feisty aggression.

Anyone with fin level tenacity? Would love another pit bull at cb. 

4 hours ago, titanskick8851 said:

Or that is vital for our offense to ensure he is here?

A Z receiver is not vital to this offense. 

Some people around here (not you) are acting like the left tackle is meaningless to the offense but the Z receiver is an absolutely critical position. Ass backwards. 

Edited by tgo

31 minutes ago, tgo said:

A Z receiver is not vital to this offense. 

Some people around here (not you) are acting like the left tackle is meaningless to the offense but the Z receiver is an absolutely critical position. Ass backwards. 

I am just providing the argument for it. If he was that good across the board in every metric then you would think he mattered a lot.

10 minutes ago, titanskick8851 said:

I am just providing the argument for it. If he was that good across the board in every metric then you would think he mattered a lot.

Yeah I get your point. 

He most certainly provided a ton of value at the position, particularly given his blocking prowess and versatility in addition to receiving production. But as I've stated before and you guys are probably tired of hearing from me - from a team building perspective, that position is not a critical position - esp for an offense like ours. 

We are going to have a fuck ton of holes and positions to fill, and assuming Davis can make bank on the market, I think he's unlikely to be retained here. Moreover, I think he'll want an opportunity to showcase his receiving talent in a more wide open offense which would also afford him potentially more future value on a third contract later on. It would not be savvy from a business perspective for him to stay here on a hometown deal. 

We are going to be making AJ Brown a top 5 paid WR in the NFL here pretty soon, and it's going to be hard to justify paying big money to two WRs in an offense like ours with a defense that is bereft of talent and paying top QB money *and* top RB money. Most teams that pay big money to wideouts aren't also having to pay a top RB. 

Edited by tgo

• Jonboy unpinned this topic