Titans 2021 Off-Season Primer

titanskick8851

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2021 Titans Off-Season Primer   Overview: Despite a roster that clearly had flaws and an early playoff exit along with the best offense we have seen since the Titans came to Nashville, 2020

The INT to Raymond is so far down the list of reasons the Titans lost to the Ravens it isn't even funny 

Posted Images

you are speaking my language. So true

We have the offense under contract. We have a QB, a RB, the receiver's but what we do not have is QB pressure. We have good CB'S so sad folks do not get what would make us great. Call me crazy for trading away every draft pick for getting a legit pass rush, but I simply want to win one Super Bowl. 

let's be clear I want what you want,

I want the Titans to win

Edited by Lantern

Honestly we have the shit luck of being in the AFC with the Chiefs and Mahomes. That’s who you have to beat to get to the super bowl now so the question is do you opt to a) try to beat them in a shootout OR b) get them off the field and/or make them kick field goals (if that’s even possible)?

42 minutes ago, titanskick8851 said:

Oh no doubt, but we weren’t just bad on 3rd downs because of the lack of sacks. 

Coaching, scheme, player knowledge, tackling, awareness, leadership, and injuries all had played huge parts in making the 2020-21 Titans defense awful. Everything at all three levels of the defense was off. When building a scheme there has to be a reason for doing something. If you are dropping a guy in zone and bringing a blitz, someone has to occupy the space the blitzed vacated. There were just multiple breakdowns that led to the shit we watched. If the secondary plays ten yards, the pass rush is going to struggle to generate any sacks or pressure because the ball is going to be gone quickly. All three units - DL, LB, and Secondary have to to work in unison otherwise you have guys out of position. It’s a deeper issue then just having a great pass rusher. We need to have a complete team to win. 

Right now the Chiefs are in a league of their own due to their offensive efficiency. If you want to compete with them, it’s silly to think you are going to put together a game plan that is going to hold them back for 4 quarters. 

But honestly we have a passable secondary, what we don't have is pass rush, not sure why this is hard to understand?  Look I do not mean to be bull headed at all, but i have been preaching this for years, (on other sites). We have zero chance if we let NFL QB's sit back and pick our defense apart. It has been happening for the last decade,

Edited by Lantern

10 minutes ago, Lantern said:

But honestly we have a passable secondary, what we don't have is pass rush, not sure why this is hard to understand?  Look I do not mean to be bull headed at all, but i have been preaching this for years, (on other sites). We have zero chance if we let NFL QB's sit back and pick our defense apart. It has been happening for the last decade,

You would hope that, but at least one of the starting CB’s isn’t likely to be back (Butler or Adoree) due to cap considerations. Fulton will practically be rookie again after missing so much time. Hopefully if we hire a real DC that has a real scheme and knows how to communicate, a lot of the guys who regressed (Byard, Evans, Adoree, Long, etc) are able to be put in the right position and regain at least some of the playmaking ability. Tons of potential holes at ILB, SS, and CB depending on what happens with cuts and free agency.

4 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Mentioned it in another thread assuming Humphries either retires or is cut this offseason it leaves AJ Brown/Westbrook-Ikhine/Batson as your top receiving options under contract that is simply not even in the ball park of enough offensive firepower to trouble the Chiefs.

I'm not naive to the possibility Davis won't be returning but if he doesn't WR becomes a massive need this offseason especially with the news AJ Brown just underwent surgeries to both knees.

The facts are JRob is going to be working with limited resources this offseason and with the current trend in the NFL of offense dominating that side of the ball needs to be shored up before attention is turned to fixing the defense.

I think there is a case to be made that mid tier free agents could make a big difference to this defense.  Guys like KVB and Babbins from several years ago.  

Who those guys are or if they will be available and affordable I have no idea but I'm hoping for a couple of Dennis Kelly like moves on defense just to shore things up in addition to some new blood at DC.

I also agree that retaining talent on offense, fixing the Oline, and backfilling key contributors takes priority over elite pass rushers.  I think you probably draft a potential guy early and you sign a mid-tier FA to hopefully help the pass rush but I honestly don't see what more they will be able to do given the current cap situation and draft resources.   

So Meaty has had a couple of weeks to evaluate the team's performance from 2020. 

He lost his OC, the one shiny spot, and may be waiting for someone to finish the season or promote within.  Who knows - it is cool to be like BB and give coach speak. 

We had no DC in name but Bowen actually had the role.  Biggest fall from 2019 to 2020 for me on D was the lack of adjustment from 1st half to 2nd.  If the O did not get big leads or make comebacks, the game was lost.  So blame it on a poor FO offseason if you want but other than Simmons, Long and Butler everyone else regressed on D.  And for goodness sake, Landry can not be effective playing 100% of the D snaps.  Huge positive was TO ratio but was that because of the D or O?

And then there is ST.  What a nightmare.  Lost the long snapper due to erosion in talent, I guess.  Injury to holder who just happens to be the Pro Bowl punter for several games so blocking along with the poor snapping some of us questioned week 1 at Denver was certainly not a positive.  New K took half a season to get better than shaky.  Nothing stands out as KR or PR over the course of the season.  KO coverage was hoping for touchbacks or the return consistently was beyond the 25 and P coverage was lost without the Pro Bowler pinning them inside the 20 with directional kicks.

Anyway, the Titans won 11 games, won the division in the last week of the season and got bounced in the wildcard round.  Seems like something more than an assistant DL coach hire is in order.

Edited by FRT

• Jonboy unpinned this topic