Vrabel’s End of Season Presser

Jonboy

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Titans went 11-5 and won the division after going to the AFC title game. Robinson and Vrabel will go into the offseason, evaluate the roster and self scout. I'm confident they'll make proper adjus

If Vrabel isn't going to hire a real DC this year, then Robinson should give him the same ultimatum he gave Mularkey when it came to Robiskie.

Put me firmly in the it would be idiotic to gamble on Clowney staying healthy camp, there simply isn't salary cap room this offseason to gamble on guys who you can't be confident will be healthy and a

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Clowney and Joseph were Vrabel guys I don't know who was the driving force behind Beasley.

Oh god.  Forgot about Joseph.  Beasley is a mystery since he doesn't at all fit the Robinson guy that he's gone on record talking about.  Someone who loves the game and works.  You have to think that any LB that is brought in has Vrabel written all over it.  I could be wrong.  Robinson obviously had to go along with it.

5 minutes ago, EagleEye said:

Major injury, no offseason, no ota's, no preseason.  Should I continue?

I'll give you the first one.  But for the other 3 no.  Herbert had no offseason etc as well and outperformed Tua by a shit ton.  It's not like the Chargers offensive personnel was significantly better than MIA.

Yesterday's game=Vrabel and his conservative nature, especially the runs and the fourth down call.  Defense bears some blame but not as much as the offense.

24 minutes ago, rns90 said:

I'll give you the first one.  But for the other 3 no.  Herbert had no offseason etc as well and outperformed Tua by a shit ton.  It's not like the Chargers offensive personnel was significantly better than MIA.

Yesterday's game=Vrabel and his conservative nature, especially the runs and the fourth down call.  Defense bears some blame but not as much as the offense.

Herbert>>>>>Tua. 

5 hours ago, tgo said:

@Face - he's more like Suh - a true mercenary. But a hard working mercenary, he's just one of those weird cats that prefers to train on his own. 

There may be a place for him here still at the right price, imo

Yeah that’s a better way to put it. He seems like a good dude but he’s always been a bit different, even in college.  He’s a pretty quiet guy, almost a bit of a loner, and I certainly don’t think he’s a negative influence at all. But you’d like to see a bit more buy into by a player. Also, I still think if we keep the same scheme Clowney is as ideal a fit as there is.

2 hours ago, japan said:

While Robinson is ultimately responsible for the makeup of the team, Vrabel had his fingerprints on some of these FA misses.  Especially on the defensive side.  Clowney was obvious. I think he also thought he could 'coach up' Beasley and get him back to this early successes.  Beasley just doesn't seem at all like a normal Robinson guy.

We’ll never know for sure but I also got the feeling that Vrabel pushed for Beasley. He was the LB coach in Houston in 2015 when VB was drafted, and that included the edge LB’s. Beasley  had amazing workouts & Vrabel obviously scouted him. I mean, in a way I get it. He has amazing physical gifts & as a coach you should be confident you can get the most out of a guy like that, especially one whose produced. But it’s hard to ignore how terrible an attitude he had. He was just miserable from the second we signed him & the huge fines were the only thing that even dragged him to camp. Did they not talk to him at all, there was no sense that this guy wanted nothing to do with playing football this year? 

I don’t want to rehash this stuff but it’s pretty frustrating when your big FA signing & 1st rd pick literally seemed like they did not want to play football.

3 hours ago, ctm said:

That's not worth a damn if doesn't complete the season and isn't available at the most critical time....the playoffs.  

He’s averaged a little more than 14 games played since his rookie season. Guys get hurt in football. It was a meniscus tear which doesn’t tend to be an issue the next year. If anything it might help making it cheaper to sign him.

Im more concerned about the cap hit then his knee. With where we are now, even $8-$10 mil on an edge is significant. The way I see it, we have very little money & our 2 big investments will have to be at WR & pass rusher. If Davis leaves we have nothing after Brown & we might be looking at another 1st rd WR. If we resign Davis we won’t have the cash for a big splurge on an edge & there appears to be strength at the position in the late 1st rd.

I don’t know. We have work to do. 

1 minute ago, Face said:

He’s averaged a little more than 14 games played since his rookie season. Guys get hurt in football. It was a meniscus tear which doesn’t tend to be an issue the next year. If anything it might help making it cheaper to sign him.

Im more concerned about the cap hit then his knee. With where we are now, even $8-$10 mil on an edge is significant. The way I see it, we have very little money & our 2 big investments will have to be at WR & pass rusher. If Davis leaves we have nothing after Brown & we might be looking at another 1st rd WR. If we resign Davis we won’t have the cash for a big splurge on an edge & there appears to be strength at the position in the late 1st rd.

I don’t know. We have work to do. 

I'm not chasing any of the big name pass rushers in FA this year stick to the middle tier guys that can come in and help and look for the long term answer in the draft, there are a lot of interesting EDGE guys in this draft class.

11 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

I'm not chasing any of the big name pass rushers in FA this year stick to the middle tier guys that can come in and help and look for the long term answer in the draft, there are a lot of interesting EDGE guys in this draft class.

Im fine with that to but some of the mid tier guys can cost you even more because of the xtra years. Another one year deal with Clowney isn’t that painful cap wise.

And yes, there are a bunch of pass rushers I like in the 1st round. Different types to.

8 hours ago, Carpy said:

Clowney would have been a massive difference maker for us in a game like yesterday's.  I think it is likely they bring him back and I am very supportive of that move.

With what money? We have around 7mil before cuts. Even if we drop hump, butler and vaccaro we only have around 30mil. When you toss in draft picks and cheap players that leaves us with enough for just a couple costly players.

Edit: saffold can save another 9 mil. Vaccaro has a replacement so does hump. We hope we have one for butler in Fulton but we are not sure, same with saffold. This is a dangerous game dropping a bunch of starters like we did last year. Even if we free up near 40 mil how far does that go?

Edited by Callidus

LOL at you people trying to claim that Robinson is deferring to Vrabel on personnel decisions because they didn't work out........This just in:  Robinson is in charge of the whole football operations - personnel, contracts, coaches. 

Clearly it was well known that Clowney and Joseph had played in the system, which one can presume was an advantage given the non-normal Covid restrictions on OTA's.  Still, Vrabel isn't making the personnel decisions and if he is, then WTF is Robinson doing? 

I certainly took Vrabel's comment about adding guys that love football as a matter of fact acknowledgement that Beasley and Wilson didn't.  Personally, I don't think it was a shot at Robinson.  All indications are that JRob and Vrabel are aligned.  The only documented rift was regarding how long a leash dumb dumb should have had.

• Jonboy unpinned this topic