On to the Draft

CaliTitan3518

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The 3 weeks before the draft mock draft   Pick #22 - Northwestern CB Greg Newsome II Pick #53 - North Carolina WR Dyami Brown Pick #85 - Notre Dame TE Tommy Tremble Pick #100

Thinking back over the pre-draft process there is so much less information available than we usually have, below are the most notable Titans stuff that has been reported over the last couple of months

With the injury to Caleb Farley and the freakshow workout he had today you can forget about Jaycee Horn becoming a Titan.   The Cowboys will likely take Surtain at pick #10 and Horn will go

Posted Images

Trade Lewan for early/mid picks. Use one of our early picks to replace him at LT. Before anyone homer-vomits, NE extended title run windows indefinitely by trading players before they hit the age where crossed the cost/value threshold. 

Use freed up cash to re-sign Davis.

Load up on defense and OL. 

46 minutes ago, cenj said:

Over/Under Ryan Kerrigan is in a Titans uniform next year?

41 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Need a veteran mid tier EDGE guy to come in and help the younger guys, Carl Lawson might be another guy worth having a look at.

Kerrigan and Lawson would be my top two EDGE free agent targets. Kerrigan is a little older, but has just been a model of consistency in Washington since he was drafted. Rumors were we did try and trade for him at the trade deadline. He also would be a good fit for the defense.

Lawson is someone who had an amazing rookie year, and for whatever reason he just hasn’t quite met the hype since. He is someone that I think will have a Shaquille Barrett type impact ones gets on to his second team.

1 hour ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Yes just a question of by how much.

If people want a taste of what the impact might be, the years 2009 to 2013 (inclusive) saw the NFL salary cap go from 123M down to as low as 120M and back up to 123M (with an uncapped year, 2010, in there too). So, effectively 5 seasons of salary cap stagnation.

A mechanism that ended up relieving some stress back then was cap carry-over, introduced in 2011/12. I can't recall if it was intended to be a relief specifically for this, but it undoubtedly helped some teams. I'm not sure such a mechanism exists to save the day this time, but it seems there is a lot of effort going into making sure it isn't too impactful:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/7/23/21335270/nfl-salary-cap-revenue-loss-coronavirus

This is a bit dated, but covers a few scenarios and realities of the situation. It could be a good year to load up on some vets who can't get as much as they want (although Logan Ryan's deal is a bit concerning in this regard), and it will probably be a bad year to use the franchise tag (since it is based on average salaries from a pre-cap reduction market). I think at the end of the day, teams will cope, some players will probably "suffer" a bit as a result of a forced effort by teams making low ball offers in effectively a price-fixing/collusion sort of way outside of a few special free agents, and it will be nearly business as usual. The teams who usually spend big in FA will probably just focus more on back loaded deals.

Edited by OzTitan

2 minutes ago, Nash said:

The first questions are  "Should we take a step back, get younger for a season?"  and "What will Henry be when we get there?" and "What if we get more dual threat running backs?"

Drafting up an off-season primer and so far after going through it, this is a legit question. We may have no other choice. 

9 hours ago, rns90 said:

I raise you.  Who can beat the riveting tale of a star player signing with the Titans from the unimpeachable source of the neighbor who used to be the sorrority sister of the wife of that star qb?  I think I have that tidbit of TR lore correct.

Lawson might be better because he's younger and is in his prime.

@AvgJoe is never living the Manning thing down!

13 minutes ago, oldschool said:

@AvgJoe is never living the Manning thing down!

I still stand by the info I was given and I ate humble pie and crow following being wrong. Manning’s heavily involved in the Chattanooga area and we know some of the same people. Things changed and my info was wrong, it taught me not to post anything I didn’t hear from the horses mouth. 

Edited by AvgJoe

Still very early in the draft process and FA will greatly change draft needs but I do find it interesting to look over the early mock drafts of the more reputable media guys like Brugler/Jeremiah.

An early indication about how deep this EDGE class is and it doesn't mean he won't get drafted earlier but Dane Brugler couldn't even find a spot for Pittsburgh EDGE Patrick Jones II in his first two rounds, it just highlights the fact that the Titans don't simply have to be locked in with taking an EDGE guy in round 1.

Ossai is a guy I don't see as a fit personally. 

I like Barmore, Bolton, and Batemon at 22 at this early stage (will definitely change), personally. 

Of course what happens in FA will change everything as always, so projections in January are near impossible. 

3 minutes ago, titansfan said:

Titans need to lock in to taking a edge rusher with the 1st pick. Its a dire need.

It's a deep edge class. We'll need to add an edge in free agency as well as the draft - can't risk having bare bones there again in 2021. 

8 minutes ago, titansfan said:

Titans need to lock in to taking a edge rusher with the 1st pick. Its a dire need.

While EDGE is absolutely a need what they absolutely can't do is reach for an EDGE if there are significantly better players available at other positions, reaching to fill needs gets you Isaiah Wilson and Rashaan Evans.