Vrabel's the most conservative coach in Titans history and the league currently

OILERMAN

1 hour ago, cenj said:

He's shown so far that he's not like Belicheck. He isn't a great defensive mind. We aren't as disciplined and we're far more penalty prone. And Belicheck would change philosophies by the game, while we're one of the most single-minded and most predictable teams in the NFL. Belicheck also is way more ballsy and would go for the kill, while Vrabel is terrified.

He has some really good traits, and he's been great at situational in-game awareness, but he's clearly a NE player and not a NE coach.

Oh I don’t think he’s anywhere close to BB. But I do think that’s who he models himself after. And there are some similar traits like the ones you pointed out (situational awareness, knowledge of the rules, etc.).

He wants to be a great defensive mind, but he isn’t. At least not right now.

I’d have to look into the penalties. I know we were outstanding there Vrabel’s first year. Can’t remember last year. I just looked up this year we had the 10th fewest total flags (Patriots had the fewest, hah). 

It may not be a bad thing that he’s not a “NE coach” considering none of them has fared too well. 

My main point is that he’s still so young and if he really models himself after BB, then hopefully he’ll adapt like BB did. He’s already outperformed BB’s first head coaching stop. 

I’m with you on all the criticisms. I guess I’m just holding out some hope he’ll improve because of his background and how young he is.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The big talking point is the 1st down runs and the extreme run heavy game plans but it's more than that.    Warren Sharpe and others have pointed out over the last 6 games or so defenses hav

This just makes the decision from Vrabel even worse.    

I was actually telling someone the Titans would be better off if Henry wasn't on the roster. Not because he's not good but because they are too reliant on him. Down the stretch teams figured out the T

They did everything possible to NOT give Tannehill a chance to win this game.

Running Henry into 8-9 man fronts all game long.

Never trying to toss outside, screen, etc.

Hardly any play action rollouts.

I don't remember a single read option, despite that being very successful lately.

It's like someone had kidnapped Vrabel's wife and kids.

10 hours ago, Jonboy said:

@OILERMAN

I would've been really curious to see how the offense played out this season if the OL, Humphries, and Evans had stayed healthy. It really felt like Evans was going to be a major part of the offense and he would've certainly added a dimension we didn't have.

He got hurt early, then you had Lewan going down, plus a banged up Saffold and Kelly.

I know you talked about how they ran just as much under LaFleur, but that was Vrabel's first year and I don't know how much he really trusted LaFleur to take the reigns. That really felt like a Robinson hire given that he had interviewed him previously for the HC job.

They went into last year planning everything around Mariota and we all know that held things back.

With the continuity of Arthur Smith returning for a 2nd year as OC, a healthy o-line, plus the drafting of Evans, it really felt like they were hoping to tweak the offense this year in a way that I think a lot of us would've been happy about.

The problem with citing OL injuries is it's much easier on the OL to throw on conflicted downs when the defense is playing run to stop Henry. Yesterday was actually harder on the back-up OL trying to pass block on 3rd and long. 

Evans was healthy against Detroit looked good and never really got used on offense after that.

But you're only speaking offensively anyway. I'm talking about every aspect. The punting and the soft defensive strategy. I have no doubt the lack of pass rush and the 3rd down defense is partially due to Vrabel fearing giving up explosive plays. With worse personnel the pass rush has actually improved greatly the last month once they decided to start rushing. 

Aussie posted the tweet about how bad the punt was

And hey, Vrabel is def a very smart guy and is very good in other aspects. He may very well go into the offseason, self scout and adjust. If he does I'll praise him. Robinson might also have something to say about what's going to change.