Vrabel's the most conservative coach in Titans history and the league currently

OILERMAN

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The big talking point is the 1st down runs and the extreme run heavy game plans but it's more than that.    Warren Sharpe and others have pointed out over the last 6 games or so defenses hav

This just makes the decision from Vrabel even worse.    

I was actually telling someone the Titans would be better off if Henry wasn't on the roster. Not because he's not good but because they are too reliant on him. Down the stretch teams figured out the T

2 minutes ago, tgo said:

I’m keeping my powder dry for now in terms of Vrabel’s overall outlook. 

But at minimum he needs an OC with gravitas that he trusts and that he doesn’t have inordinate control over, like O’Brien. 

We run too much on first downs when it’s consistently not working and the other team is selling out to stop it. And then at times he makes reckless decisions and at times makes ridiculously conservative ones. 

And I’m starting to have serious questions about the long term viability of the defensive system when it’s being run by anyone not named Belichick, Crennel, or Pees.

I’m in total agreement with you. He’s proved to be a disaster when in control of his defensive staff both here and in Houston.

And though I really like Art Smith, I think we got extremely lucky that LeFleur didn’t take more staffers with him. If Art smith goes and gets a HC gig and takes Carter and whoever else with him, I don’t trust Vrabel to promote from within and then fill out the back end of the offensive staff. we saw that this year with Coombs, McKenzie, and Pees losing. It seemed like for every 3 guys we lost we only hired 2 new guys to fill in. 

I hope we get new coordinators on both sides with strong pedigrees (Crennel, O’Brien, etc.) just because I know those guys will bring a solid crew with them. 

Just now, Thrill said:

I’m in total agreement with you. He’s proved to be a disaster when in control of his defensive staff both here and in Houston.

And though I really like Art Smith, I think we got extremely lucky that LeFleur didn’t take more staffers with him. If Art smith goes and gets a HC gig and takes Carter and whoever else with him, I don’t trust Vrabel to promote from within and then fill out the back end of the offensive staff. we saw that this year with Coombs, McKenzie, and Pees losing. It seemed like for every 3 guys we lost we only hired 2 new guys to fill in. 

I hope we get new coordinators on both sides with strong pedigrees (Crennel, O’Brien, etc.) just because I know those guys will bring a solid crew with them. 

I think Carter will stay but Devlin would be a worthy replacement for him. Carter has been great overall. 

4 minutes ago, tgo said:

And I’m starting to have serious questions about the long term viability of the defensive system when it’s being run by anyone not named Belichick, Crennel, or Pees.

Good to see that you are at least willing to concede that Vrabel's defensive scheme is part of the problem.

Most of the top defenses in the 2020 season are ones that are aggressive and not the bend but don't break passive type.

Well if Smith does leave and they bring in someone like Downing who has a history of throwing more we'll know if it's really Smith or Vrabel.  I think it's Vrabel.

I'm just really hopeful he adapts with his offensive philosophy.  It's hard to argue the offensive output this year.  At the same time though they're leaving points on the board with constantly running into loaded fronts.

Edited by scine09

Just now, cenj said:

@tgo what makes you so sure Downing would be more aggressive and more likely to pass early? Is this just his time in Oakland with Carr?

That and because he openly says “I’m a passing game guy” and he is a disciple of Linehan. Delanie Walker said Downing told him when he was hired that he was a pass game guy at heart too, and his record proves it out. 

He’s really a QB coach who has been coaching TEs the last 3 years. 

45 minutes ago, japan said:

Compared to last post-season, he looked like Mike Martz today.  Didn't Tannehill throw the ball like 10 times total in 2 games?

He was passing from 2nd and 3rd and long today..... the issue is passing on conflicted downs 

When the running game isn’t working and you run on first down every time, it puts you in a hole, especially when the passing game isn’t clicking either. Call a pass play with high probability on first down. Run on second down once in a while. Henry was really pissed off about the play calling. I know all this hindsight is 20/20 but the offense had zero continuity today because we couldn’t convert on third down. We were in 3rd and long most of the day. Just too damn predictable .

Vrabel clearly tries to model himself after Belichick in a lot of ways. Let's hope he models what is arguably Belichick's greatest trait this offseason: adaptability.

Belichick has been lauded for his ability to win in a variety of different styles and with diverse gameplans depending on the opponent.

Let's hope Vrabel's offseason reflection will lead him to adjust his philosophy that results in a more aggressive offense and taking a step back from the defense with a true DC in place.

One thing I try to remember is just how inexperienced Vrabel was when they hired him (it was one of the reasons I was against the hire). We're talking about a guy who was only a few years removed from basically having his interview cut short by Urban Meyer when he was totally unprepared for an interview with Ohio State.

He's still young and has outperformed my expectations of him so far. There's still a chance he can show he's adaptable like his mentor and make the adjustments that are needed. If he doesn't, then I feel we're destined for more early round playoff exits.

@OILERMAN

I would've been really curious to see how the offense played out this season if the OL, Humphries, and Evans had stayed healthy. It really felt like Evans was going to be a major part of the offense and he would've certainly added a dimension we didn't have.

He got hurt early, then you had Lewan going down, plus a banged up Saffold and Kelly.

I know you talked about how they ran just as much under LaFleur, but that was Vrabel's first year and I don't know how much he really trusted LaFleur to take the reigns. That really felt like a Robinson hire given that he had interviewed him previously for the HC job.

They went into last year planning everything around Mariota and we all know that held things back.

With the continuity of Arthur Smith returning for a 2nd year as OC, a healthy o-line, plus the drafting of Evans, it really felt like they were hoping to tweak the offense this year in a way that I think a lot of us would've been happy about.

1 hour ago, cenj said:

And Belicheck would change philosophies by the game, while we're one of the most single-minded and most predictable teams in the NFL. Belicheck also is way more ballsy and would go for the kill, while Vrabel is terrified.

He has some really good traits, and he's been great at situational in-game awareness, but he's clearly a NE player and not a NE coach.

This is definitely correct.  It's bad/awful when message board posters in game threads can predict your fucking playcalling.  I forgot which game it was but we just got the ball back and there was like a post that said "will we pass the ball on 1st down?"  Several of us said, no--it will be a run up the middle.  And voila, the 1st down was a run up the middle.

And there's a reason why they barely blew teams out this year.  For the games they got up in,  he basically dialed back both the defense and offense.  They still won these games because they were better but they never went for the kill which would have enabled some of these guys to get rest.