2020 Season: Abject failure

Titans279

5 minutes ago, rns90 said:

The only difference for me in this particularly game is that the game was winnable.  They were probably getting stomped in round 2.  Let me put it this way: I would feel a lot different if they got blown out and embarrased today than what actually happened today.  Which is they got outcoached in a close, winnable game and did a lot of self-inflicted stuff, especially from a play calling standpoint.

I really thought when Tucker missed that 52 yarder that they would drive down for the leading td.  Nope.  We got Vrabel pussying out on 4th and 2 instead.

I'll also add that this performance just confirms larger fears regarding the coaching staff. I'm not surprised we lost or devastated, but everything that worried me about Vrabel was on display. He was a major factor in the loss and the shine is definitely coming off. 

JRob blew the roster moves last offseason, and he's gonna have a tough job this offseason. I don't see Vrabel succeeding without Pees and with a lesser roster. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’s absolutely ridiculous.  They went 11-5 and won the division.  Only one team can win the Super Bowl.  It was a good season.  Not a great season.

The season isn't a failure when you win the division but if we are being honest the team is further away from a SB today than it was 12 months ago.   With little salary cap wiggle room and o

I was totally deflated when the Ravens tied it at 10-10 because the Titans didn't try to put the game away    Just terrible game management 

This was Superbowl or bust. Record and division title aside, last years team was better and closer to winning the big game.

Last years team was hungrier, and more dangerous. This falls on the moves and decisions made by the coach and management.

When it's all said and done, nobody gives a shit about who won a division, what a team's record was, or individual player stats. It is all about bringing home the Lombardi.

4 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Far too many people are happy with a meaningless consolation prize.

We all want the Super Bowl.  Only 1 team gets it.

Only 25% of teams win the division.  And going 11-5 is a big accomplishment for a franchise that hadn't won more than 9 games in 12 years.

Obviously next year it's time to take the next step.

1 hour ago, rns90 said:

The only difference for me in this particularly game is that the game was winnable.  They were probably getting stomped in round 2.  Let me put it this way: I would feel a lot different if they got blown out and embarrased today than what actually happened today.  Which is they got outcoached in a close, winnable game and did a lot of self-inflicted stuff, especially from a play calling standpoint.

I really thought when Tucker missed that 52 yarder that they would drive down for the leading td.  Nope.  We got Vrabel pussying out on 4th and 2 instead.

This exactly. I’d have some apprehension about criticizing this coaching job if there had been an unlucky deflection for an interception or a freak play. But there wasn’t. If anything we had more luck in that regard. 

We just went into a shell of everything that worked well for us all year. It’s a major bummer and I don’t necessarily see Vrabel fixing all of these issues from the coaching side much less Robinson fixing all of our personnel holes. 

7 minutes ago, scine09 said:

We all want the Super Bowl.  Only 1 team gets it.

Only 25% of teams win the division.  And going 11-5 is a big accomplishment for a franchise that hadn't won more than 9 games in 12 years.

Obviously next year it's time to take the next step.

I think this view is a little too simplistic. The team took steps back this year. It's a worse team than it was last year.

They had to take their shot after making the AFC Championship last year but they totally screwed the pooch this season.

What do you view the next step as? Winning a playoff game?

5 minutes ago, Thrill said:

This exactly. I’d have some apprehension about criticizing this coaching job if there had been an unlucky deflection for an interception or a freak play. But there wasn’t. If anything we had more luck in that regard. 

We just went into a shell of everything that worked well for us all year. It’s a major bummer and I don’t necessarily see Vrabel fixing all of these issues from the coaching side much less Robinson fixing all of our personnel holes.

Vrabel has to be one or the other....A head coach or Defensive Coordinator .. CAN'T BE BOTH!!!

Just now, Titans279 said:

I think this view is a little too simplistic. The team took steps back this year. It's a worse team than it was last year.

They had to take their shot after making the AFC Championship last year but they totally screwed the pooch this season.

What do you view the next step as? Winning a playoff game?

Every year is different.  I think they were better defensively last year and the same offensively.  Obviously when you go to the championship game the expectation is Super Bowl.  But, again, every year is different and they took teams by surprise.  Let's not forget that this was an unusually strong AFC and Baltimore is one of the best teams in football who had a midseason rut.  It's not like they went out today and lost to some stiff who didn't deserve to be in the playoffs.  They lost to a team who talent wise is likely better.  

What do I expect next year?  The same as I always do.  For them to be competitive.  The playoffs are a crap shoot since it's one game and if you lose you're done.  But I do expect the defense to improve and if it doesn't then obviously they need to look hard at why.  In fact they need to be doing that now.

3 hours ago, ctm said:

You can't get zero production from the 1st round pick , a 10M free agent and limited production from a 13M free agent and expect to win a super bowl.  Winning a SB requires almost everything to fall perfectly and those were huge misses by the front office.  There were other factors of course but those limited the team severely all year. 

I was going to post something similar. We got practically ZERO contribution from our entire 2020 draft/FA additions, which is just brutal after the 2019 amazing haul. That is mostly why we weren't more succesful.

Edited by ChemEngr79

Overacheived a bit last year, underacheived a bit this year. Probably quite a bit more this year.

Getting Lewan back next year, getting a competent DC, getting the right guys in here to rush the passer (they don't have to be Reggie White clones... just consistently solid impactful players), and keeping the offense fairly intact should get us back into position to make a deeper run.

3 hours ago, scine09 said:

I actually tend to agree.  I know for me I don’t look at this season negatively because of the division title.  Going to the Super Bowl is hard.  My hope for this team is to win double digit games and the division.  I didn’t see the talent defensively so I knew beating KC would’ve been nearly impossible.

At least we didn't have to watch KC best us 63-20