Jump to content

Next COVID-Economic Stimulus Bill


Recommended Posts

 

15 hours ago, titanruss said:

 

Makes zero sense. If you don't make enough tips to cover minimum wage the restaurant has to make up the rest.... so you always at least get minimum wage. If its $15, you will always get at least $15.

How cute. You think businesses actually follow the law. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Republicans desperately want to be seen giving out free money...

Rubio is playing for 2024

As if the alternative to Manchin in WV is some liberal. If it isn’t Manchin we get another crazy Republican asshole from there...

13 hours ago, oldschool said:

 

Totally. I'm just laughing at progressives that are complaining about Republican opposition. It's a massive bill that will require compromise or the use of reconciliation to hammer through. If you use reconciliation kiss bipartisan legislation like an infrastructure bill good bye. We have to deal with covid and start the economic recovery. Now is not the time for the fight over the progressive wish list. That can come later this year or in 2022 before the midterms.

Ah the same old status quo response. It is never the time. Always some reason to not address what a portion of the party wants. They always have to just suck it up and fall in line. 

12 hours ago, Titans279 said:

 

I think the reality is there will never be a good time for that fight. There will always be a reason to brush aside their concerns. There's no way that you'll endorse progressives complaining before the midterms. In 2022 the line will be "hold back until after the election."

Right. Always time for that later yet that time never comes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Titans279 said:

 

I appreciate the effort you put into this post, but I must not be communicating clearly because I've not been making the arguments you're responding too.

I was just pointing out that "later this year or in 2022 before the midterms" won't be seen as good times to fight about a "progressive wish list" either. Your post kind of proves it. Your point is that pushing for those ideas is unpopular and alienating.

 

I think the "progressive crying" isn't that big of a deal. If they actually block something from passing I'll eat crow, but the way I've seen them operate is to push for their ideas and then vote for things that are at least better than doing nothing. That seems acceptable to me. Asking them to not push for their preferred policies is asking them to not be progressives.


It appears to me you’re saying you’re not happy about not pushing a hard progressive agenda sooner.  No?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, oldschool said:

 

Totally. I'm just laughing at progressives that are complaining about Republican opposition. It's a massive bill that will require compromise or the use of reconciliation to hammer through. If you use reconciliation kiss bipartisan legislation like an infrastructure bill good bye. We have to deal with covid and start the economic recovery. Now is not the time for the fight over the progressive wish list. That can come later this year or in 2022 before the midterms.

Not sure which other progressives you're hearing from but anyone with a brain knows this proposal will never pass in it's current form. I'm fairly progressive and even I think it's a bit ambitious (not sure $15 national minimum wage makes sense everywhere) though it's awesome to see Joe make it clear he's here to help the working class and setting a high starting point for negotiations. I just wish they would've focused on passing stand-alone 2k checks first and then shifted to the more comprehensive package later as I'm sure it will take much longer to work out/pass. It's a small complaint in the big picture.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Titans279 said:

 

I appreciate the effort you put into this post, but I must not be communicating clearly because I've not been making the arguments you're responding too.

I was just pointing out that "later this year or in 2022 before the midterms" won't be seen as good times to fight about a "progressive wish list" either. Your post kind of proves it. Your point is that pushing for those ideas is unpopular and alienating.

 

I think the "progressive crying" isn't that big of a deal. If they actually block something from passing I'll eat crow, but the way I've seen them operate is to push for their ideas and then vote for things that are at least better than doing nothing. That seems acceptable to me. Asking them to not push for their preferred policies is asking them to not be progressives.

I really don't see what the uproar about your post is. #1 it's true and #2 you're not exactly bitching about it just stating it in a matter of fact way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rogue said:


It appears to me you’re saying you’re not happy about not pushing a hard progressive agenda sooner.  No?  

All he's saying is that given the moderate track record there is never a time in the electoral/governmental cycle where centrists Dems are "ok" with progressives pushing back on them. There is usually some air of resentment towards progressives for saying something as no matter when it's said the moderate position is that it will "harm" something. 

 

It's essentially like when you want to have a conversation with someone and they continue to tell it's not a good time but really you know they have no intention of ever having that talk with you. That's all he's saying. 

 

That being said, I actually agree with the centrists that we just need to focus on passing as many policies that directly help the American people rather than getting everything on our wishlist. It's the best way to not get wiped out in the mid-terms and we can be more aggressive in the second half of Biden's administration when we hopefully have even more Dem senators. I feel dirty saying it and reserve the right to change my mind but I really think the time for pure pragmatism is here. We need to bring the temperature down around politics and endless intraparty fights won't help anyone given how little margin for error we have.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

That being said, I actually agree with the centrists that we just need to focus on passing as many policies that directly help the American people rather than getting everything on our wishlist. It's the best way to not get wiped out in the mid-terms and we can be more aggressive in the second half of Biden's administration when we hopefully have even more Dem senators. I feel dirty saying it and reserve the right to change my mind but I really think the time for pure pragmatism is here. We need to bring the temperature down around politics and endless intraparty fights won't help anyone given how little margin for error we have.

 

Personally I will always be for the best policy that can pass. I'm not sure why people think that I'm for the most left policy at all times with no compromises.

 

However, if I were a progressive politician starting off with "even this is not enough" might be a better negotiation tactic than saying "this bill is perfect."

 

If they kill this bill because they refuse to sign on to anything that doesn't include passing every progressive policy on the wishlist (something I don't think they have ever done!) then I will agree that's bad.

 

As a side note though, Pelosi did refuse to compromise on a covid bill for 8 months before the election completely for political reasons and never took any heat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WG53 said:

 

How cute. You think businesses actually follow the law. 

They have to... it's usually automatic. Have you ever worked in a restaurant? 
 

if they don't pay proper wages the business can be shut down, sued into oblivion and I think this is one of the times where the owner can actually be jailed if egregious enough. 
 

not reporting wage theft is the employees fault and their own stupidity 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...