Schefter: All 6 Teams with HC Openings Want to Interview Arthur Smith

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There will definitely be no shortage of candidates considering the personnel we have on offense.

Why can't we have nice things? Lol

/facepalm

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, titanskick8851 said:

For those that wonder what would be the best for Art if he were to leave. The Jags, Jets, or Chargers jobs would definitely be the best.

Jags and Jets have awful ownership though which negates the draft pick advantages to a certain extent.  Falcons and Texans have good qb's but are in cap (or draft pick hell).  Although ATL is in a division where there may be zero good qb's in a few years.  It's the Chargers really.  I'm going to be interested into who gets some of the bad HC spots.

I'm much more worried about losing offensive players than I am about losing offensive coaches. I'd just as soon have Smith stay (If it ain't broke, don't fix it), but if he leaves I'm confident they can find someone to be successful with this roster.

Just now, rns90 said:

Jags and Jets have awful ownership though which negates the draft pick advantages to a certain extent.  Falcons and Texans have good qb's but are in cap (or draft pick hell).  Although ATL is in a division where there may be zero good qb's in a few years.  It's the Chargers really.  I'm going to be interested into who gets some of the bad HC spots.

IMO it will be either Daboll or Smith that ends up getting the Chargers job.

18 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

I'm a big fan of 49ers run game coordinator Mike McDaniel would love to see him become OC here but I believe he will follow Robert Saleh if he gets a HC job.

I agree - I've ruled him out lately because of the likelihood that he follows Saleh, but Mike McDaniel is an absolute savant. 

5 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

Maybe he will pull a Bieniemy and not want to leave. A guy can hope right?!? 😂 

Bieniemy didn't get an offer, it wasn't that he didn't want to leave. 

The only NFL assistant coach I can think of who turned down a HC job once offered is Josh McDaniels after he backed out of the deal. 

7 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

Maybe he will pull a Bieniemy and not want to leave. A guy can hope right?!? 😂 

Unlikely though, you gotta strike when the iron is hot.  The Jets job isn't that bad.  Brady isn't in NE anymore and MIA is still searching for a qb.  Loads of picks and zero expectations there.  And you more or less get to build your own team.

6 minutes ago, tgo said:

Bieniemy didn't get an offer, it wasn't that he didn't want to leave. 

The only NFL assistant coach I can think of who turned down a HC job once offered is Josh McDaniels after he backed out of the deal. 

Didn’t Bieniemy turn down interviewing with the cardinals? I know that’s not the same as every team wanting to talk to you. I just feel like I remember that. 

16 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

Didn’t Bieniemy turn down interviewing with the cardinals? I know that’s not the same as every team wanting to talk to you. I just feel like I remember that. 

Not sure on that, not that I read, but it's certainly possible. 

1 hour ago, rns90 said:

This is a good "problem" to have. Last two OC's have gotten coaching jobs.  It speaks well to Vrabel's/organization's ability to identify and mold assistants into HC material.

Not going to worry about this till after the season ends though.

And the other guy he wanted, Ryan Day is having great success 

1 minute ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Would be nice if Vrabel could put together a defensive staff that thrived as much as his offensive staff has.

Well to be fair, Coombs and McKenzie were great hires. 

I think the jury is still out on Midget and Haslett. I think we can do better than Booker though personally. 

But the bigger problem is definitely coordination and play calling - there's just no way around it. Hopefully this will be remedied with a veteran DC.