Jonboy

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why can't we have nice things? Lol

There will definitely be no shortage of candidates considering the personnel we have on offense.

lol at all the replies at that Schefter tweet asking if Henry is going to come with Arthur Smith.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, tgo said:

My hope is that Houston's new HC will bring in his own OC, despite Watson's plea, and we can hire Tim Kelly as TE coach and promote Downing to OC. That would be ideal. 

What? Why would you want Tim Kelly as TE coach? He was a graduate assistant when O'Brien was at Penn State and only has one year of experience as a TE coach. Even getting promoted to OC this year, he didn't call plays until O'Brien was fired.

Without O'Brien, I doubt Kelly is even on an NFL staff.

11 minutes ago, titaninpgh said:

Who does Arthur Smith pursue as DC? Not like he’s been exposed to a high volume of quality candidates in TN.

Does Smith try to bring along Dews, Carter, Downing, or Moore to be his OC? Does Vrabel allow it?

I have a feeling he'll go after Downing if Vrabel doesn't promote him. Maybe Carter. 

But I also think he could go after Dowell Loggains for QB coach, they go back a ways. He could also poach one of our lower tier guys like Hendley or Luke Steckel to be position coaches. 

As far as DC - you really wonder which direction he would go. He worked as a defensive assistant for Jerry Gray and Gregg Williams in Washington and then followed Jerry Gray to Tennessee - it was Jerry Gray that brought him here. 

I could see him tapping into that tree or the DLB tree or the Belichick tree. 

If I had to pick a single most likely candidate, I would have to say Jerry Gray, but there's always the chance he could go for a Lou Spanos or Ray Horton if he likes that system. 

Or he could just hire a veteran guy like Wade Phillips, Dan Quinn, Matt Patricia, etc. to run the defense, someone he's not necessarily familiar with. 

Edited by tgo

2 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Kevin O'Connell could be another OC option if he wanted to leave the Rams so he could get offensive play calling opportunities.

Yep, and would run a variant of the Shanahan offense. 

Larry Foote is a very interesting up and comer for me. He has a background both with the LeBeau and Bowles schemes, very good base 3-4 schemes. 

1 minute ago, tgo said:

Yep, and would run a variant of the Shanahan offense. 

Larry Foote is a very interesting up and comer for me. He has a background both with the LeBeau and Bowles schemes, very good base 3-4 schemes. 

Jerod Mayo is another guy that should be under consideration for DC.

This is one reason to stay the fuck away from ATL if you're Art Smith.

According to a report on NFL.com, all three of those men would be first-time candidates and noted that with Falcons team president Rich McKay and fellow former general managers Ruston Webster and Phil Emery on staff, "there would be a support system to help a younger executive to grow into the job."

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/three-new-names-linked-to-falcons-gm-search-in-latest-report

Translation: GM will be a figure head while the retread and failed GM's in the Atlanta FO will be the real decision makers.

7 minutes ago, tgo said:

I just don't think Belichick will let him leave. 

Under the new NFL guidelines he would have to name him DC and give him play calling duties to stop him taking up that opportunity at another team.

Edited by AussieTitanFan08

1 minute ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Under the new NFL guidelines he would have to name him DC and give him play calling duties to stop him taking up that opportunity and another team.

Correct

3 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

Is that what Arthur wants? He may love his current job and team enough to stay. He's the type of guy who will stay for the lessons rather than jump on an opportunity. Hell, he's been with the Titans longer than anybody. 

Smith has publicly said he wants to be a HC.