Coaching Carousel

Jonboy

Just now, tgo said:

He was in essence the Asst OLB coach at Houston also. 

And to answer your question, Roberson imo - but he's nothing more than a rotational player. There's only so much you can do with bottom of the barrel talent here or guys that had no interest in playing football (Beasley). 

Roberson was a healthy scratch yesterday, as a comparison look at the TE position where they have got contributions from a bunch of unheralded UDFA and FA.

There just isn't a good track record over the last 3yrs to suggest Bowen deserves to keep his job.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shit, hope Bowen won’t be too distracted

And most of our defensive coaching staff would have trouble getting a job at a Division 3 CFB program.

I hope Arthur doesnt leave.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Roberson was a healthy scratch yesterday, as a comparison look at the TE position where they have got contributions from a bunch of unheralded UDFA and FA.

There just isn't a good track record over the last 3yrs to suggest Bowen deserves to keep his job.

Tell it to Vrabel, I'm sure you know more about coaching OLBs than he does. 

If he fires him as OLB coach then I'm sure he deserves it. If he keeps him coaching that position, I'm sure it's for a reason. I don't know anything about coaching OLBs, but that's one thing if anything that Vrabel does know about. 

Edited by tgo

5 minutes ago, tgo said:

There's no one in house capable of being DC. 

Not sure why you're reading that from what Vrabel said. He was talking about the idea that no one was coordinating the defense that a lot of dullard fans and media have. 

I mean we all can agree that no one in house is capable of being DC but that doesn't mean Vrabel feels the same way. Bowen was just calling Vrabel scheme. If we bring in a DC this most likely means Vrabel is going to take a step back and only have input on another DC scheme. I think this is what we are all hoping for but it doesn't mean it is going to happen. 

I got the feeling Vrabel thinks it is open for discussion but he didn't come out and say he was going to look for outside candidates to fill the DC role. 

3 minutes ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

If we bring in a DC this most likely means Vrabel is going to take a step back and only have input on another DC scheme.

No, it doesn't mean that at all. 

There are several available veteran DCs that run highly similar schemes within the same defense and philosophy. 

I also wouldn't totally rule out him keeping Bowen in the spot though, until we hear otherwise for sure. 

Edited by tgo

17 minutes ago, tgo said:

Tell it to Vrabel, I'm sure you know more about coaching OLBs than he does. 

If he fires him as OLB coach then I'm sure he deserves it. If he keeps him coaching that position, I'm sure it's for a reason. I don't know anything about coaching OLBs, but that's one thing if anything that Vrabel does know about. 

At what point is Vrabel going to hold his position coaches accountable for lack of development of players at their positions of responsibility.

4 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

At what point is Vrabel going to hold his position coaches accountable for lack of development of players at their positions of responsibility.

Hopefully around the same time Robinson stops whiffing on OLB draft picks and signings......

8 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

I'm just saying it's not the end of the world of Bowen retains his position coaching responsibility and we bring in a veteran DC to run the defense. 

2 minutes ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

If another DC is just calling Vrabels defense I don't see how that changes anything. 

IMO and I think most people opinion is that the scheme is the issue and not necessarily the play calling. 

It needs to be tweaked or changed. 

If Bowen is promoted to DC I think it will be a massive failure and will be proof that Vrabel might be too stubborn to be a great HC

There are nuanced differences, but fundamentally "Vrabel's defense" = Belichick's defense = Crennel's defense = Pees's defense = Patricia's defense. They are all variants of the same scheme and philosophy with highly similar verbiage, etc. 

Again, if people are holding out hope that the defensive scheme is going to change, they're likely going to be very disappointed. Our best bet is to have someone that really knows how to run it to just run it. 

Edited by tgo

2 minutes ago, tgo said:

There are nuanced differences, but fundamentally "Vrabel's defense" = Belichick's defense = Crennel's defense = Pees's defense = Patricia's defense. They are all variants of the same scheme and philosophy with highly similar verbiage, etc. 

Again, if people are holding out hope that the defensive scheme is going to change, they're likely going to be very disappointed. Our best bet is to have someone that really knows how to run it to just run it. 

Sure but Vrabels defense is still Vrabels defense. 

The overall scheme doesn't need to change. As you mentioned they are all pretty similar. Im more so referring to the game planning I guess which I think Vrabel is having too much of a say in right now. Once the gameplan is in place who gives a shit who is calling the plays. Pees was great at game planning and I think Vrabel sucks at it. IMO Bowen=Vrabel. If he gets the "label" I don't expect much to change for our defense. 

15 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

How often do staff members get what would effectively be a demotion and be happy to stay.

When one of their mentors and a legendary coach is the one who would be the DC (like Crennel) I would imagine. 

What else is he going to do? Go be a college OLB coach? 

7 minutes ago, titanskick8851 said:

This would be absolutely wild and breathtakingly stupid of the Eagles ???

Oh man. IDK how Gase could possibly con another franchise into thinking he is a HC. I'm sure Manning will pick up the phone and vouch for his buddy like he did the last 2.