Sports Illustrated Article on Derrick Henry and His Lethal Signature Stiff-arm

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/03/the-meaning-of-derrick-henrys-stiff-arms   Just a few excerpts from a very long article:       Anyway, just cool to see our guy ge

Literally the first sentence that Guru quoted is "Derrick Henry isn't changing the game".

Before the toe, he was a pretty damn good back.  You watch some games like 97 and 99 against the Raiders and plenty of others games (I remember a couple against the Jags) and he looked great.   

Posted Images

Everybody knows how I feel about Derrick Henry. But I wouldn't say he is changing the game. I think he is a phenom at the position though. Lawrence Taylor changed the game.

Derrick Henry is doing what I predicted would happen. Me and my boy use to talk about how We hated how the Runningback position was being devalued. I told him the NFL is like society, it's mostly about trends. And it's a copycat league. I told him before we had Henry (We just drafted Bishop Sanky) that eventually the Runningback position would be back. I noticed teams were building their defenses to deal with the potent passing games. Up front teams were getting weaker. I told him eventually teams were gonna catch on. The Colts were smart to build the front to try to deal with Henry, but not every teams built that way. 

I think Henry is the most complete back because he literally does everything so well. And he is big with break away speed and nimble enough to get through the hole and make defenders miss with great vision. That's a lethal combination.

Im not really sure how he is changing the game. All he is doing is bringing back something that was becoming devalued. 

Edited by NFL2K5

I don’t get why these guys when he extends his arm don’t go for a full arm bar and grab and take him down instead of trying to take him down near his legs or body. Grab and twist the arm. They should have martial arts experts teaching how to defend

Edited by Stan
3 hours ago, JoelinBellevue said:

It wasn't a "wow" stiffarm, but in the Colts game he stiffed a tackle. Guy never got a hand on him. Said he learned it in HS.

Yeah, who was the guy on tv earlier this season that was saying that he wasn't impressed with Henry stiffarming DBs and they he couldn't do that to DL and LBs?

I don't care if he is as good or better or worse than Earl. We are watching one of the best backs to every put on a Titans jersey. He's a freak and no use comparing him to others. Just enjoy it.  Who knows how long it will last. He is currently the best pure RB in the NFL and currently has the best stiff arm among any RB in the NFL. When was the last time this franchise could claim they had the number one player at any position?

Remember when we wanted to trade him? Yeah that would have been the single worst mistake this franchise ever made. He’s been a constant pro, never caused trouble on or off the field., great teammate, hard worker and durable as hell. He became one of my favorite players and I honestly haven’t had once since maybe Keith Bulluck

1 hour ago, Stan said:

I don’t get why these guys when he extends his arm don’t go for a full arm bar and grab and take him down instead of trying to take him down near his legs or body. Grab and twist the arm. They should have martial arts experts teaching how to defend

Because Henry would just lift them over his head and slam them into the ground like Rampage did to Arona (albeit, that was a triangle submission attempt), but my argument still stands. 😆

6 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Eddie George had speed to the edge? Uh...

I don't get that and I'm more of an EG defender than some. EG wasn't slow, but did he ever really run much toward the edge? 

Before the toe, he was a pretty damn good back.  You watch some games like 97 and 99 against the Raiders and plenty of others games (I remember a couple against the Jags) and he looked great. 

I think we all remember too much of 2001 - 2003 when he was done yet still getting too many carries at the expense of the offense.