Derrick Henry is the most complete Runningback of all time.

Been a huge fan of the Runningback position my whole life. Even played the position myself. I'm kind of a historian and seen old footage and obviously have seen everything from the 90s til now (80s born).  I'm not one to live in the moment or be bias. I absolutely think Derrick Henry is the most complete back of all time. We should thank Mularkey  for drafting him & Eddie George for igniting the fire.

What Runningback has ever been like Henry? I mean Emmit Smith was obviously really good, but dude did have a great offensive line. Barry Sanders was great, but he wasn't going to run anybody over or deliver punishment. Barry was great, but he wasn't carry a team on his shoulders great. Sure Barry was great, but in the playoffs give me a guy like Henry.

Power Henry has it. Speed Henry has it. Elusiveness and shiftyness Henry has it. Size and strength. He can catch a screen pass and take it the distance. He is solid catching out the back field. His Ball carrier vision is actually some of the best I've ever seen. He never misses the right hole. His football I.Q is very high. Not to mention his blitz pickup has also improved. 

Where is the weakness in his game?

The beginning of this video shows you how good he is.

Edited by NFL2K5
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not the most complete of all-time due to him not being involved as a receiver more. He's the best in the league and on his second contract who will likely be discussed as one of the best players of al

Chris Simms broke down the All 22 and one of the big differences was in the 1st Colts game the Colts played man and sold out to stop the run on 1st down. In the 2nd match up the Titans exploited this

This year his shiftiness has notably improved. I’ve seen several runs where earlier in his career he would try to bounce outside or just fall forward while this year he’s making people miss in the hol

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

Nate Bureleson: Derrick Henry is the most significant player in the NFL right now.

Nates goofy and kind of corny at times lol, but he says alot of stuff I agree with. And he isn't a Titans hater. I think he picked us or said we had a chance to win against the Patriots and Ravens in the playoffs last year, and I remember his coworkers thinkin he was crazy.

He’s definitely the best pure runner I’ve ever seen. 

It was nice to see them get him more involved in the passing game. I think the offensive design we saw yesterday with a more shotgun centric offense that sees 3-5 targets to Henry a game will continue to be used a lot more going forward.

The broadcasters even mentioned how watching tape Henry and Tanne saw plays against the Ravens they left on the field because he was trying to push the ball instead of taking some easy gains to Henry. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

IMO, Henry's only weaknesses (if you want to call them weaknesses) is that his change-of-direction and initial acceleration aren't great.    Some players have tremendous get-off and are very explosive with their first 2-3 steps....Henry doesn't have that.     And the fact that he's so big and tall makes it hard for him to spin and accelerate quickly.   (Which limits his effectiveness in the passing game, IMO.)

But the bottom line is, Henry has been the NFL's most dominant and productive runner over the past couple seasons;   there's no question that his career is currently on track to land him in Canton.    There might have been other runners who appeared to be more complete on paper....but the bottom line is, very few runners in NFL history have ever matched Henry's consistent production on a week-in-and-week-out basis.

16 minutes ago, NFL2K5 said:

Nates goofy and kind of corny at times lol, but he says alot of stuff I agree with. And he isn't a Titans hater. I think he picked us or said we had a chance to win against the Patriots and Ravens in the playoffs last year, and I remember his coworkers thinkin he was crazy.

He said today September and October don't matter. When it gets cold I want a back like Henry. There will be times the passing game isn't working, but with Henry you can still win. He proved it in the playoffs. 

19 minutes ago, nine said:

But the bottom line is, Henry has been the NFL's most dominant and productive runner over the past couple seasons;   there's no question that his career is currently on track to land him in Canton.    There might have been other runners who appeared to be more complete on paper....but the bottom line is, very few runners in NFL history have ever matched Henry's consistent production on a week-in-and-week-out basis.

You hit the nail on the head with this part.

14 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

He said today September and October don't matter. When it gets cold I want a back like Henry. There will be times the passing game isn't working, but with Henry you can still win. He proved it in the playoffs. 

That's why I couldn't understand why guys on this forum were saying Cook was gonna take the rushing title. This is Henry's time of the year. Weather is colder, defenders are tired from the season.

Not sure how you can call a guy that is a poor receiver the most complete running back of all time.   He is not even as good as a pure runner as Earl Campbell.    And though before my time, Jim Brown's accomplishments stand alone.

Not to take away anything from Henry, he has been a joy to watch.

11 minutes ago, oldschool said:

your takes are almost always hilariously wrong. I'm not aware of anyone saying as a matter of fact, Cook was going to win the rushing title. Some of us just think he's the best RB in the NFL right now due to his impact in all phases of the game. It's so tiresome when homers get mad whenever a Titans fan thinks a non Titans players is as good or better than a player on the Titans. Its rudimentary thinking which you know a lot a about. 

As for Henry, If he plays like he did yesterday he'll win the rushing title easily. 

Your comment is similar to a mut with his tail tucked lol. 

I have said all along that Henry is what makes the Titans go.  And, he is one of the greatest backs of all time.  If he were to have played in the 60's, 70's, or 80's he would be regarded as highly as Jim Brown, OJ Simpson, Jim Taylor, or Erick Dickerson.  He would be getting talk of MVP votes.  It was a different time, where running backs were running backs and TE's and WR's did the pass catching stuff.  Heck, even TE's weren't targeted like they are today.

He is in year five, and has eclipsed 5000 yards.  He currently ranks 139th in NFL history.  By the end of the season, he should find his way around 110th in NFL history.  Next year, I actually expect him to push for 7000 career yards which will put him top 65 in the NFL.

In a different era, Henry would be viewed, perhaps as the greatest player in the game.

I would hesitate to call him a great all around back in today's NFL.  A great all around back is good at blocking and receiving.  While Henry 'can' catch the ball, Henry is not fluid doing so.  Of course, how many 240lb players do catch the ball 'fluidly'.

The key here is that Henry fits this system perfectly.  He is a perfect match for a defensive minded head coach, an offensive coordinator that values the run, and a QB that is humble enough to play second fiddle to the running back and the running game.

9 minutes ago, oldschool said:

your takes are almost always hilariously wrong. I'm not aware of anyone saying as a matter of fact, Cook was going to win the rushing title. Some of us just think he's the best RB in the NFL right now due to his impact in all phases of the game. It's so tiresome when homers get mad whenever a Titans fan thinks a non Titans players is as good or better than a player on the Titans. Its rudimentary thinking which you know a lot a about. 

As for Henry, If he plays like he did yesterday he'll win the rushing title easily. 

I'll admit I said Cook had a good shot at winning the title, especially with our injuries on the offensive line.  This was right after Cook's 200+ yard game and had a good stretch of games.  Now the homer has been following me around like a lost puppy, because god forbid you give another player credit.