Matt Patricia and GM Bob Quinn fired by Lions

TitansGuru

2 minutes ago, Btowner said:

Agree. This guy is supposed to be a good DC. At what point, does a good DC stop pressing Fuller?

To me, it's not even his qualifications as a quality DC.  Just listen to what his own guys have to say about him.  They literally had a party to celebrate not having to deal with him.  He's certainly not good enough to risk blowing up a pretty healthy locker room over.  Besides, I'm 100% confident that him and Vrabel would clash.  

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In before someone calls for Patricia to be the Titans DC next season, don't want him anywhere near this franchise he is an abrasive figure who has an over complicated defense that has failed when not

Why would you want Matt Patricia as the DC?  I don’t get it.  He’s proven nothing and everyone knows when you’re in NE you’re doing what Belichick tells you to do.

I think Andy Reid should hire Patricia.  Then they could start their own Sumo wrestling team.  Or scare the crap out of every KC buffet owner when they walk through the door.

We need a DC.  It doesn't have to be MP.  But you have to ask, what did he do in New England?  Now after being a HC, he may not be capable of being what he was.  We still need a DC.  We don't need no de'facto.  We need a somebody who has run successful defenses who will have time to put in the work needed for the position.  The Titans are one of the better franchises in the league.  Why would it make any sense to have a DC with a record of one poor season being a DC?  

4 hours ago, tgo said:

Patricia is the best option (of the realistic options) to be DC here next year, followed by Romeo Crennel. My hope is that it will be one of them rather than one of the inexperienced Houston castoffs and if not Dean Pees of course. 

In what universe are the choices so limited that Patricia and Crennel are the best options? There are certainly more choices in the off season than that.

3 minutes ago, JT2000 said:

In what universe are the choices so limited that Patricia and Crennel are the best options? There are certainly more choices in the off season than that.

In the universe that they will be running a version of Vrabel’s defense no matter who is the defensive coordinator. And Vrabel isn’t likely to bring in someone he doesn’t know or isn’t familiar with running the Belichick scheme. 

It is more likely that Trump is AOC’s VP running mate in 2024 than it is that Vrabel gives up his defensive scheme.  

And yeah - there are plenty of options - Bowen, Pees, Crennel, Patricia, Haslett, Weaver, Coombs. The guys that know the scheme. I could see him going with Marcus Freeman who he tried to hire too. 

Edited by tgo

21 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

@tgo how do you explain Vrabel's reported interest in James Bettcher before he lured Dean Pees out of retirement, maybe he isn't completely locked into the Patriots/Pees/Texans defensive tree.

He did have interest in Bettcher and then they realized the pairing wouldn’t work after talking - Vrabel literally said that.

I guess there’s a non zero chance that he could go outside the direct tree to make a hire, but whoever it is would just be running Vrabel’s defense, that is a certainty. 

Bret Bielema is another option I forgot to mention btw. 

Edited by tgo

38 minutes ago, tgo said:

And yeah - there are plenty of options - Bowen, Pees, Crennel, Patricia, Haslett, Weaver, Coombs. The guys that know the scheme. I could see him going with Marcus Freeman who he tried to hire too. 

Pees and Crennel are too old.  Haslett may be as well.  Coombs isn't giving up that cushy tOSU coaching spot he has now.  Weaver and Bowen have both struggled big time in their first seasons as DC.  Patricia may not be so bad.  I'd like Pees to return but out of those other choices, I'd probably go with Patricia.

50 minutes ago, tgo said:

In the universe that they will be running a version of Vrabel’s defense no matter who is the defensive coordinator. And Vrabel isn’t likely to bring in someone he doesn’t know or isn’t familiar with running the Belichick scheme. 

It is more likely that Trump is AOC’s VP running mate in 2024 than it is that Vrabel gives up his defensive scheme.  

Vrabel's defense is not the same BB's so I don't agree with your logic. Of course there are others out there that can do  a "Vrabel" defense besides the corpses of ex-Patriot coaches.  I only wish that our defenses adapted the way the Belichick's do. There's no evidence that Patricia has done in in Detroit. Crennel's too old to consider at this point.

3 minutes ago, JT2000 said:

Vrabel's defense is not the same BB's so I don't agree with your logic. Of course there are others out there that can do  a "Vrabel" defense besides the corpses of ex-Patriot coaches.  I only wish that our defenses adapted the way the Belichick's do. There's no evidence that Patricia has done in in Detroit. Crennel's too old to consider at this point.

? The defense under Pees was excellent at adaptation, it is just a matter of DC inexperience (Bowen) with the Titans at this point. 

And yes, there are slight differences in Vrabel’s defense from Belichick’s (like the Diamond front) but it is still the foundation of Vrabel’s defense and the philosophy is the same - bend but don’t break / prevent big plays at all costs / play coverage / morph game to game based on opponent and personnel, and highly similar verbiage. 

Titans/Texans/Patriots/Giants/Dolphins/ Lions all play highly similar defenses. 

1 hour ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

@tgo how do you explain Vrabel's reported interest in James Bettcher before he lured Dean Pees out of retirement, maybe he isn't completely locked into the Patriots/Pees/Texans defensive tree.

This. Just seems to be a lot of assumptions about Vrabel. Most HC/GM in general will go for someone they have some past connection with. That's nothing new. Happens around the league, but doesn't mean Vrabel isn't open to someone else.

Our interest in Bettcher would suggest Vrabel isn't married to a defensive scheme

Just now, socaltitan said:

This. Just seems to be a lot of assumptions about Vrabel. Most HC/GM in general will go for someone they have some past connection with. That's nothing new. Happens around the league, but doesn't mean Vrabel isn't open to someone else.

Our interest in Bettcher would suggest Vrabel isn't married to a defensive scheme

The reason it didnt work out with Bettcher is precisely because Vrabel is married to the defensive scheme - Vrabel alluded to this when he point blank said they discussed it and determined it wasn’t the right fit. 

45 minutes ago, rns90 said:

Pees and Crennel are too old.  Haslett may be as well.  Coombs isn't giving up that cushy tOSU coaching spot he has now.  Weaver and Bowen have both struggled big time in their first seasons as DC.  Patricia may not be so bad.  I'd like Pees to return but out of those other choices, I'd probably go with Patricia.

Patricia would be terrible. He's openly shown he will throws players under the bus.

Edited by socaltitan