NBA players don't develop.

Over the years I've lost alot of interest in the NBA. It just seems like players don't develop and get better anymore. Jimmy Butler is the only exception. It just seems like alot of players with alot of potential just seem to hit a wall. John Wall, Kyrie Irving, Hayward, Jaylen Brown etc etc. Even Russell Westbrooks game hasn't really evolved. To me the NBA is full of superstar role players instead of alpha dog superstars. I just can't get into the NBA because the players just don't seem to develop into great players anymore.

Half the guys you listed have added a lot to their game and developed significantly.

Even as the poster child of “non-development” among NBA fans, Westbrook even developed pretty nicely those first few seasons, but developed bad shot habits in his later seasons in OKC and became more and more selfish - even before Durant bolted. Still though, he was considered a traditional PG that would struggle to score but had great potential when he was coming out of UCLA. Look what he became.

And for every few guys that don’t develop, there is a Marc Gasol, Jokic, Draymond, and more. If you would have told me in 2008 that Gasol would be nailing 3s and winning a DPOY, I would have died laughing. But he did. If you would have told me that one of the least athletic players in the NBA in Jokic was going to become one of the greatest offensively gifted big men to ever play, I would have lol’d some more. Even guys like Anthony Davis, who were already great from day 1, have greatly expanded their game.

If you’re disappointed there aren’t many complete players in the league that have no weaknesses, those players are generational talents and few ever existed.

If anything, more guys develop now more than ever. 

2 hours ago, TitansFan777 said:

Half the guys you listed have added a lot to their game and developed significantly.

Even as the poster child of “non-development” among NBA fans, Westbrook even developed pretty nicely those first few seasons, but developed bad shot habits in his later seasons in OKC and became more and more selfish - even before Durant bolted. Still though, he was considered a traditional PG that would struggle to score but had great potential when he was coming out of UCLA. Look what he became.

And for every few guys that don’t develop, there is a Marc Gasol, Jokic, Draymond, and more. If you would have told me in 2008 that Gasol would be nailing 3s and winning a DPOY, I would have died laughing. But he did. If you would have told me that one of the least athletic players in the NBA in Jokic was going to become one of the greatest offensively gifted big men to ever play, I would have lol’d some more. Even guys like Anthony Davis, who were already great from day 1, have greatly expanded their game.

If you’re disappointed there aren’t many complete players in the league that have no weaknesses, those players are generational talents and few ever existed.

If anything, more guys develop now more than ever. 

That's a ridiculous statement. Go look back at the 90s NBA, every team had superstars, multiple superstars. 

Lebron James caked walked through the East for almost a decade. So many teams looked like they were gonna be good and fizzled out. Indiana being the most notable...Paul George, Hill & Most notably Hibbert all fizzled out. None of these players now a days are certified hall of famers. I stop saying Lebron played in the weak East, because it's not his fault guys games never developed.

Golden State is about the only team that developed. And look how many titles they got. And every one of those guys were drafted, that's how you build a team and develop guys organically. That's how it use to be.

Edited by NFL2K5

Every team in the 1990s def didn’t have superstars. Let alone multiple stars. There were plenty of scrub teams across the league.

LeBron def cakewalked the majority of his career (at least in Miami-Cleveland part. 2 years). No disputing that. The east mostly sucked from the 2000s on (outside of NJ, Det, and Boston’s runs between 2000-2010).

Golden State def did the best of most 2010s teams in not just developing players, but retaining them. They are the modern-day Spurs. However, they still needed star talent like Iggy (he was a star when he signed there) to even get their first championship. After losing to Cleveland, KD basically got them their next 2 championships, because without him, they do not beat the 2016-17 Cavs and prob don't get out of the west in 2018.

Once again, plenty of guys develop - at least as many as any other decade, but it’s increasingly hard to keep them. That’s why guys like Pau/KG/KD/Love and others always end up going to form super teams via Free Agency or trades.

But back to the point - the league has no problem developing players. And the league today is more talent-rich than any other time. 

Edited by TitansFan777
34 minutes ago, TitansFan777 said:

Every team in the 1990s def didn’t have superstars. Let alone multiple stars. There were plenty of scrub teams across the league.

LeBron def cakewalked the majority of his career (at least in Miami-Cleveland part. 2 years). No disputing that. The east mostly sucked from the 2000s on (outside of NJ, Det, and Boston’s runs between 2000-2010).

Golden State def did the best of most 2010s teams in not just developing players, but retaining them. They are the modern-day Spurs. However, they still needed star talent like Iggy (he was a star when he signed there) to even get their first championship. After losing to Cleveland, KD basically got them their next 2 championships, because without him, they do not beat the 2016-17 Cavs and prob don't get out of the west in 2018.

Once again, plenty of guys develop - at least as many as any other decade, but it’s increasingly hard to keep them. That’s why guys like Pau/KG/KD/Love and others always end up going to form super teams via Free Agency or trades.

But back to the point - the league has no problem developing players. And the league today is more talent-rich than any other time. 

Bulls: Jordan, Pippen

Pacers: Reggie Miller, Mark Jackson. Chris Mullins

New York Knicks: Ewing, John Starks, Alan Houston

Orlando Magic: Shaq, Penny.

Rockets: Sam Cassell, Hakeem, Kenny Smith

Super Sonics: Shawn Kemp, Gary Peyton

Jazz: Karl Malone, John Stockton

Pistons: Grant Hill, Joe Dumars, Jerry Stackhouse

Hornets: Glenn Rice, Vlade Divac, Anthony Mason

Spurs: Avery Johnson, David Robinson

Trail blazers: Clyde Drexler, Danny Ainge

Miami Heat: Alonzo Morning, Tim Hardaway

Lakers: Kobe, Shaq

Golden State: Chris Mullin, Sprewell

Nuggets: Mcdyess, Dikembe Motumbo

Mavericks: Mashburn, Mike Finley...

Suns: Charles Barkley, Dan Majorle, Kevin Johnson...

That's just off the top of the head. Must I go on? How many hall of famers did the 90s produce? How many hall of famers has the past decade produced?

Edited by NFL2K5

Half those guys are mid-high level role players and not bonefish stars. Avery Johnson? If that’s a star, there are hundreds of stars in the NBA these days and back in the 50s-80s as well and this debate is over. In addition, Kobe was hardly a star in the 90s, wasn’t even a starter for some time, and didn’t really become “Kobe” until a few years into his career. 

And comparing which decade has more HOFers is stupid. Everyone from that time has retired and had plenty of time to become worthy of the Hall and/or have multiple times on the ballot. The guys from this decade are largely still playing.

But once again, you’re moving away from the premise of the original post.

Clearly, this post isn’t going to change your mind. But I’ve enjoyed the discussion. Have a nice thanksgiving.

Edited by TitansFan777