Some Aaron Brewer Notes

TeamRamrod

One thing about Brewer’s size, he’s only 274 but he’s very lean. He may have close to the amount of muscle the 300 lb sloppy guys have. Sure he’ll probably need to add a dozen or so good pounds but with his athleticism Id like him in the 285 range, especially for a zone blocker. Jeff Saturday is an all time great center who was basically the same size.

2 hours ago, Face said:

In fairness why the fuck call a wildcat play when Jamil Douglas comes in for one play at center. Backed up to. I mean cmon. Coordinators take too much blame at times but it also needs to be pointed out when they try to get too smart for their own good. This was stupid.

Excuse the language.

I’m sure the team line would be that they expect every player to enter the game and do their job. Sure they would take that play back though if they had the choice. 

2 hours ago, Face said:

One thing about Brewer’s size, he’s only 274 but he’s very lean. He may have close to the amount of muscle the 300 lb sloppy guys have. Sure he’ll probably need to add a dozen or so good pounds but with his athleticism Id like him in the 285 range, especially for a zone blocker. Jeff Saturday is an all time great center who was basically the same size.

He reminds me of one of those OL the Broncos used to churn out during Shanahan's heyday.  A little undersized but he could move and fit the ZBS really well, that type of template.

3 hours ago, Face said:

I'm pretty sure Mawae was similarly sized too. Size inside can be overrated IMO

Just now, japan said:

Brewer - 6'1" 274

Mawae - 6'4" 290

I think his playing weight was often a bit lower than that but I didnt realize he was that tall. Although I guess it explains why he was lean by OL standards - a bit under weight for C and quite taller than the average.

5 hours ago, rns90 said:

He reminds me of one of those OL the Broncos used to churn out during Shanahan's heyday.  A little undersized but he could move and fit the ZBS really well, that type of template.

Yeah exactly. Denver used to have such a small, athletic OL when they went to the ZBS exclusively in the late 90’s. Guys like Dan Neil & Mark Schlerth.

This kid Brewer is interesting though. He really did look good outside of one or two plays where he was just mauled back, but Tanny got the ball out quick enough. He’s apparently a great athlete & he does look very well built & quick twitch. My concern for now is the plays where he isn’t perfect technique wise, they might be a lot worse then other guys who are standard size. Remember Williams & Campbell didn’t play, it could’ve been a lot different. But there’s no question that we found something in him, even if he only winds up being an interior swing guy, that’s great for somebody that literally nobody heard of. But I think he could be our long term center, at least I think he has a chance.

11 minutes ago, Face said:

Yeah exactly. Denver used to have such a small, athletic OL when they went to the ZBS exclusively in the late 90’s. Guys like Dan Neil & Mark Schlerth.

This kid Brewer is interesting though. He really did look good outside of one or two plays where he was just mauled back, but Tanny got the ball out quick enough. He’s apparently a great athlete & he does look very well built & quick twitch. My concern for now is the plays where he isn’t perfect technique wise, they might be a lot worse then other guys who are standard size. Remember Williams & Campbell didn’t play, it could’ve been a lot different. But there’s no question that we found something in him, even if he only winds up being an interior swing guy, that’s great for somebody that literally nobody heard of. But I think he could be our long term center, at least I think he has a chance.

With a full offseason he should easily be able to increase his weight and mass.  Extremely small sample size but I was encouraged by what we saw yesterday.  A good coaching staff can get creative with someone that is athletic but undersized, definitely reminds me of a prototypical Denver OLineman under Shanahan.

18 minutes ago, CharrdWood said:

With a full offseason he should easily be able to increase his weight and mass.  Extremely small sample size but I was encouraged by what we saw yesterday.  A good coaching staff can get creative with someone that is athletic but undersized, definitely reminds me of a prototypical Denver OLineman under Shanahan.

Yeah if he’s really 6’1 274, just another 10-12 lbs would be fine. The guy is lean, he has a good amount of muscle. Scale weight doesn’t tell you the whole story. Technically Aaron Donald is very small & he destroys everybody.

If he comes in at 285 next year he can really add something with his athleticism. Personally I think his ideal spot is center, where he can use his athleticism to get to the 2nd level & deliver crucial double team blocks. 

Maybe we’re getting ahead of ourselves but I’m excited to see him play again. 

Taier Tart is another UDFA that might be a guy. He’s gotten some pressure the last 3 weeks.

1 minute ago, Face said:

Yeah if he’s really 6’1 274, just another 10-12 lbs would be fine. The guy is lean, he has a good amount of muscle. Scale weight doesn’t tell you the whole story. Technically Aaron Donald is very small & he destroys everybody.

If he comes in at 285 next year he can really add something with his athleticism. Personally I think his ideal spot is center, where he can use his athleticism to get to the 2nd level & deliver crucial double team blocks. 

Maybe we’re getting ahead of ourselves but I’m excited to see him play again. 

Taier Tart is another UDFA that might be a guy. He’s gotten some pressure the last 3 weeks.

Agreed on both counts.  Let's hope they both work out.  This season is really pointing out how important depth is to a team's success.  Not everyone has to be an All-Pro, but you definitely need guys that can step in and do a job on short notice.  Everyone talks about depth, but hopes you never need to find out.