A few thoughts

code

5 hours ago, rns90 said:

This makes no sense at all.  They have a winning record in a league with only 32 teams.  You measure teams by W/L and other stats, like PPG allowed.  They're a good team which means they are better than average and will make the playoffs with a winning record.  Oh as for that we've been beaten badly by teams that a good team would compete with bullshit..they lost by 3 to the Steelers and led into the 4th quarter before the meltdown on ST against the Colts. As for the Bengals loss, the Colts also lost against the one win Jags.  It was one of those shit happens games.

You must have a different definition of what the word "good" means.

What confused you, exactly?  

It sounds like your definition of good is one modicum better than average.  If that is the case, then we do have different definitions of good, and that might be the issue.

I assume you understand the point with the Baltimore and Buffalo wins, as well as how awful the defense is at getting off the field and pressuring the passer.  I also will assume that since you didn't mention the methodically inept play calling that hampers the offense for solid stretches, you understand that is true as well.

It's a little funny that you stick to the final score of the Steelers game while going back to the start of the 4th quarter to justify your stance with the Indy embarrassment.  There really isn't any context in your argument, which is how you convince yourself the team is good.

As far as the strength of schedule, you're right...it isn't the lowest in the league.  It's important to note, however, that the teams we've beaten have a combined winning percentage of .42, and if you take out the teams that we had 10+ days to prepare for, it's an amazing .34.  Against those teams (the ones we beat without 10+ days to prep for), we outscored them by 19 points total.  19 points better over 5 games against teams with a .34 win percentage.  

As far as the loses...

I don't know if you remember the Cincy game, but we were down 31-14 before they shifted to prevent and we scored a garbage time TD.  

Steelers game was a total domination in the first half, and they obviously took their foot off until the final drive, where we would have been put away if not for a timely TO.  Do you remember getting 3 INTs without committing a TO ourselves, but still losing?  That isn't super common, nor is it a sign of a quality team.

You're 100% correct we were with Indy until the last quarter.  In the end, it was a rout.  We were at home, against a division rival that we are fighting for the division against, and we folded.  

Sincerely, I hope you're right.  I hope we are able to overcome all the injuries, the special teams issues, the lack of a playoff caliber defense, and the lack of creative play calling.  I hope we make the playoffs because who knows what happens then....but, I think the odds right now are that we make the playoffs by the skin of our teeth and then get absolutely demolished by a team like KC or Pitt (who won't let up to protect their aging QB early in the season).

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As much as I love this site, sometimes it can be a bit too reactionary and too much.  This is a good team.  I know they have issues all over the place BUT they are 7-3 and have shown an ability to ove

The Titans are a good team that is flawed like every other good team. They have some major injuries but as long as Tannehill is healthy they have a chance.    Their biggest problem, even vs

The bad snap wasn’t Brewer, it was Douglas. 

17 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

The Titans are a good team that is flawed like every other good team. They have some major injuries but as long as Tannehill is healthy they have a chance.

You mean as long as Tannehill AND even more importantly Derrick Henry is healthy they have a chance.

6 hours ago, Oiler FANatic said:

You mean as long as Tannehill AND even more importantly Derrick Henry is healthy they have a chance.

No I posted what I meant. Without Henry the Titans could still be competitive but not without Tannehill. 

The Panthers lost McCaffery and still played well, the Titans could too

20 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

QB>RB. Without Tannehill we have no shot. Y'all notice how when Tannehill is even a bit off, the offense just doesn't work right? This isn't hard boys.

It is and will always be all about the QB. 

9 minutes ago, IowaOiler said:

If only we got 10 days to prep for every team!

I’m not sure why this is the hill you’re dying on but it doesn’t make much sense. Anytime you have to pull random numbers such as ‘oh so the average record of teams we play is this, but if you take out teams we had a chance to prepare for ten days it’s this!’ means you’re losing the argument.

The Titans are a good team by most measures, including the most important two which are points per game and win/loss. 

On 11/24/2020 at 6:51 AM, heyitsmeallen said:

Smith made some incredibly questionable play calls on offense. Running wildcat on second and goal with a cold center who is only coming in for one play was pretty stupid.  Kick protection and return blocking are beyond terrible and have been all year. When people say coaching is holding the team back they are talking about things like these.

That being said, I’m proud of the team for stepping up when it counted most. The defense held the ravens to a FG after getting gashed on a 5 min drive and then completely stonewalled the ravens in Ot and the offense scored on their last 4 possessions to make the comeback complete. 

That was absolutely the worst call of the game. WTF was he thinking? That being said, nobody bats 1.000 but overall, Smith called a good game. But that wildcat call was a serious head scratcher.

Edited by freakingeek

56 minutes ago, IowaOiler said:

If only we got 10 days to prep for every team!

Your standard for "good" seems to be more appropriate for "great". The Titans have too many deficiencies right now to be considered great but this is also the case for all the other "good" teams (Ravens, Browns, Colts, Seahawks, etc. The great teams like KC, Pittsburgh, and I would still say the Packers, aren't perfect but don't have such glaring holes. You're right that we aren't some juggernaut but we certainly are a good team by most metrics and if we can clean up some of the ST debacles, play more press on 3rd down, and do our job vs the run, we certainly have enough talent on the roster to be great this year.

59 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I’m not sure why this is the hill you’re dying on but it doesn’t make much sense. Anytime you have to pull random numbers such as ‘oh so the average record of teams we play is this, but if you take out teams we had a chance to prepare for ten days it’s this!’ means you’re losing the argument.

The Titans are a good team by most measures, including the most important two which are points per game and win/loss. 

I'm not dying on any hill.  Statistics can be found to 'prove' almost any point, but those claiming we are good have one...the record.  Analyzing the record by providing context and couple stats isn't looking too deep, but just providing context. 

7 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Your standard for "good" seems to be more appropriate for "great". The Titans have too many deficiencies right now to be considered great but this is also the case for all the other "good" teams (Ravens, Browns, Colts, Seahawks, etc. The great teams like KC, Pittsburgh, and I would still say the Packers, aren't perfect but don't have such glaring holes. You're right that we aren't some juggernaut but we certainly are a good team by most metrics and if we can clean up some of the ST debacles, play more press on 3rd down, and do our job vs the run, we certainly have enough talent on the roster to be great this year.

The teams you list as "good" teams don't have anything close to our deficiencies, and that includes the two we've beat in Buffalo and Baltimore.  I do like the board's optimism/homerism though...if we can just clean up a few things, like learn how to rush the passer, get off the field on 3rd down, and stop being shitty on special teams, we can be great.  I would personally add stop being overly predictable on offense, but even keeping it to yours comment above, that can be said for nearly every team in the NFL, including the Jets....wait, the Jets actually get teams off the field better than we do, have more sacks than we do, create pressure and hurries more than we do...nevermind, you get the point. 

Another stat that people have seemed to forget...Time of Possession (TOP).  Titans rank 29th, just above the Jets, Jags, and Texans.  That's "good," right?

We don’t have the same problems as Buffalo and Baltimore. It’s true. We don’t have a deficiency at QB like those teams. I’ll gladly take injuries over having a bad QB. 

We score more points than them as proven by record against and PPG, the two most important stats. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

1 minute ago, IowaOiler said:

I'm not dying on any hill.  Statistics can be found to 'prove' almost any point, but those claiming we are good have one...the record.  Analyzing the record by providing context and couple stats isn't looking too deep, but just providing context. 

The teams you list as "good" teams don't have anything close to our deficiencies, and that includes the two we've beat in Buffalo and Baltimore.  I do like the board's optimism/homerism though...if we can just clean up a few things, like learn how to rush the passer, get off the field on 3rd down, and stop being shitty on special teams, we can be great.  I would personally add stop being overly predictable on offense, but even keeping it to yours comment above, that can be said for nearly every team in the NFL, including the Jets....wait, the Jets actually get teams off the field better than we do, have more sacks than we do, create pressure and hurries more than we do...nevermind, you get the point. 

Another stat that people have seemed to forget...Time of Possession (TOP).  Titans rank 29th, just above the Jets, Jags, and Texans.  That's "good," right?

You're going over the top with the Titans and letting things slide for the other teams I mentioned. Cut all the stupid homer shit out and just have the discussion if you want to have it. People aren't homers for disagreeing with you. If you'll notice, I didn't mention the pass rush on my list of things we can improve and the reason why is because I don't believe we have the talent on the roster to improve the pass rush (what a homeristic take right?). All the things I mentioned are things that can improve with a change in approach. For instance, there is nothing stopping the DC from playing tighter on receivers, particularly on 3rd down. Doing this would definitely help our atrocious 3rd down rate and is VERY doable. The problems vs the run also aren't talent related, they're more due to Evans not doing his job and randomly shooting gaps, leaving gaping running lanes. Again, that's something that is very fixable and I expect it will be addressed. Special teams will improve dramatically once Kern comes back. Had Kern never gotten hurt we never see the debacles we did with Trevor Daniel so again, that's very correctable.  We've seen the secondary improve a ton since cutting Joseph and adding Borders/King. When we get Fulton/Adoree back, this unit might become a strength for us. There is nothing unreasonable about any of that. Now let's address the other teams;

The Ravens can only move the ball in the passing game by throwing to Mark Andrews and Lamar Jackson seems completely incapable of completing balls outside the numbers. Their entire scheme has been exposed and they are currently struggling to find ways to counter that.  On defense, they've been outcoached by us twice now, are currently soft in the middle, and their best corner gambles way too much and in ways that hurt the deep in critical moments. Those are certainly glaring problems and a few of them, I'm not sure they can address.

The Seahawks are elite on O but their entire D is an embarrassment and probably as bad as ours was a few weeks ago. Not much else that needs to be said there. 

The Colts have an elite D but their QB is turnover prone and their skill players frankly aren't very good.  I will say though, after watching them beat the Packers (got a gift at the end) they are unfortunately closer to great than we are and really on the cusp of breaking through. We have to put an end to that on Sunday. 

Also, time of possession is far less relevant/indicative than total points, in which the Titans are ranked 10th. The Jets and Jags are bottom of the barrel in total points while the Texans are middle of the pack.