Let’s talk about Breon Borders

kyle021

This guy has been locking receivers down since he became the starter opposite Butler. How this dude went undrafted is beyond me just watching him. 

Marquise Brown had zero receptions today. None. Nadda. I assumed with Browns speed outside, and Andrews at TE (I think he is right up there with Kelse) that our pass defense would be abused today since we were down Clowney af edge rusher on top of Jackson, Fulton, Vaccaro all out in the secondary where we are paper thin. 

However, this kid... Borders is playing like a borderline #1 CB and has been locking his guys down each week. 

I truly believe he is making it easier on the staff to bring Jackson back after his elite play since becoming a starter, and honestly I think once a Jackson comes back he continues to start, and it will be Butler who takes a step back as the primary backup corner and our starting corners will be Jackson, Borders, and King with Butler, and Fulton the backups. 

Also, I think Hooker may have taken Vaccaros job after today. He has played well all year. Vaccaro had a great first few weeks and tapered off to being mediocre at best, and I said last night that I think Vaccaro gives us a boost over Vaccaro in coverage due to his athleticism and instincts in coverage, and is just as good as Vaccaro in run defense and today that showed. 

If we can get Dean Pees to come back as the DC I would be excited as our defense would take a big step forward. Pees would take full advantage of Clowney, and with the additions of Borders, and King in the secondary we would be a better defense than we were last year as King is an upgrade over Ryan, and Borders is an upgrade over Butler. 

We have some optimism going forward sitting at 7-3

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's played really well. Grading out as elite so far on PFF and he has been passing the eye test. I love his competitiveness out there most of all. 

If everyone is healthy, Borders becomes the dime back at best (him vs Fulton).   But Borders has been an excellent addition. A huge step up over old man Joseph.

This guy has been locking receivers down since he became the starter opposite Butler. How this dude went undrafted is beyond me just watching him.    Marquise Brown had zero receptions today. N

2 minutes ago, Nash said:

Nick Saban , was bemoaning the fact that good defense no longer beats good offense.. admittedly he’s talking college ball but that analysis applies..he also says that today’s football requires an elite secondary..Nick Saban concedes it’s the offense now

If you're not at least 3 deep at corner, you have no shot these days.