JRob's 2020 Decisions Will Bite Us In The Butt.

Number9

50 minutes ago, TWR said:

The colts hit on 2 of their picks last (2019)year the other 7-8 picks are either off the team or will be after this season (Paris Campbell)

the Steelers don’t even roster 7 of their draft picks from 2019.

the draft falls this way for most teams- there’s a less than 50% success rate and the teams that suck more in the nfl don’t suck more because of their draft picks, it’s typically because of their QB play or their ability to protect their QB and in turn impacts his play.

yes the draft is important, and it’s helpful to the overall roster when you can hit on your 1st and 2nd round picks, but the league as a whole doesn’t have a great success rate with the draft. 

That is shocking about the Steelers 2019 draft. I'll have to look at that.

Maybe I'm just the jealous type, but it feels like I'm always envious of the drafts garnered by the Steelers and Ravens (old Oiler fan here) and the Colts. Seems like they always find more contributors.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These arguments about whether Robinson is elite or a great GM are meaningless.   Building an NFL team is always changing inexact process that requires risk/reward decisions based on how clos

Here, I'll toss Charlie a bone. Trading picks to move up inherently feels risky because we know how much of a crap shoot the draft can be. The idea that you should have as many picks as possible (akin

BTW   I'm definitely extending King this off season 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TWR said:

the Steelers don’t even roster 7 of their draft picks from 2019.

1-10: Devin Bush, LB (Michigan): Signed

3-66: Diontae Johnson, WR (Toledo): Signed

3-83: Justin Layne, CB (Michigan State): Signed

4-122: Benny Snell, RB (Kentucky): Signed

5-141: Zach Gentry, TE (Michigan): Signed

6-175: Sutton Smith, LB (Northern Illinois): Signed

6-192: Isaiah Buggs, DT (Alabama): Signed

6-207: Ulysees Gilbert III, LB (Akron): Signed

7-219: Derwin Gray, OL (Maryland): Signed

That is the Steeler 2019 draft class. All but 6-175 and 7-219 are listed on the team roster... in addition to 5 FAs. The Steelers show a total of 12 second-year players on their roster including almost all of that 2019 draft class.

Maybe you are thinking of 2018 or something?   NOPE-- they show nine 3rd year players rostered.

Edited by charleytolar

2 hours ago, Starkiller said:

But he isn’t remotely some elite, perfect GM

For real though, who are the elite GMs? For years Packer fans would brag about Ted Thompson and lived by the "In TT We Trust" mantra that polluted this state. He had like 45 or 50 of the 53 man roster as drafted, home grown talent.

He was a shit GM because him being so adamant on not ever paying for a starter in Free Agency. Everyone LOVED TT..... He leaves and the Smith Twins start being the face of the defense after they get paid and the team immediately improves even without taking into account Rodgers.

I'm honestly just a little curious as to what GM is elite, because as long as a QB is on the team, pretty shitty GM's usually look pretty damn good no matter what. (not implying anything about JRob)

Edited by wiscotitansfan

Where is this narrative coming from that Vrabel is running things and JRob is just this weak, meager chimp who scurries to do whatever Vrabel wants him to do?  The coaching staff is Vrabel's.  If he wants to be his own DC, that's his decision as HC to make.  JRob can obviously trump him but does he really want to create friction by overruling his HC over a decision the HC is empowered to make?  Pick your battles and all that....

No GM is 'perfect'. Name a GM who has not made poor signings, had busted draft picks, or had failures on their franchise's coaching staff.  You can't.  That GM doesn't exist.

It can be argued that JRob has one of the highest levels of accountability in the NFL, both with coaches and players.  You don't get with the program?  You're out.  He worked to fire a head coach who made it to the playoffs, FFS.  

We're in very good shape with JRob at the helm.  I think he's one of the top 5 GMs in the league.  

1 hour ago, TWR said:

Also do you think any team did better than the titans in the 2019 draft ?

Simmons 

AJ Brown

Nate Davis

Amani Hooker 

David Long

Walker didn’t cut it, was a developmental pass rusher worth the shot of a 5th round pick. 

im not saying Robinson is perfect, but the 2019 draft was very impressive- the talent and depth we’ve added to this team in his tenure is also impressive. When could we have ever lost a  Pro bowl LT and LG in the past and go out and hang 30 on the Ravens for a W?

give the 2020 draft class some time, it’s a weird year- and even if it does pan out to be bleh that’s the curve- Overall he’s good at the draft, typically adds pieces in FA that workout for the team —- just really needs to be better hitting at Edge. 

Yup. Its also way too early to give him shit over the 2020 draft. 

7 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

For real though, who are the elite GMs? For years Packer fans would brag about Ted Thompson and lived by the "In TT We Trust" mantra that polluted this state. He had like 45 of the 53 man roster as drafted, home grown talent.

He was a shit GM because him being so adamant on not ever paying for a starter in Free Agency. Everyone LOVED TT..... He leaves and the Smith Twins start being the face of the defense after they get paid and the team immediately improves even without taking into account Rodgers.

I'm honestly just a little curious as to what GM is elite, because as long as a QB is on the team, pretty shitty GM's usually look pretty damn good no matter what. (not implying anything about JRob)

This is pretty spot on.  If you don't have a stud QB, it's nearly impossible to have sustained big time winning and it goes without saying that getting a really good to great QB is the ultimate crap shoot.   This team was a mediocre team at best before Tannehill fell into their laps.

7 hours ago, charleytolar said:

1-10: Devin Bush, LB (Michigan): Signed

3-66: Diontae Johnson, WR (Toledo): Signed

3-83: Justin Layne, CB (Michigan State): Signed

4-122: Benny Snell, RB (Kentucky): Signed

5-141: Zach Gentry, TE (Michigan): Signed

6-175: Sutton Smith, LB (Northern Illinois): Signed

6-192: Isaiah Buggs, DT (Alabama): Signed

6-207: Ulysees Gilbert III, LB (Akron): Signed

7-219: Derwin Gray, OL (Maryland): Signed

That is the Steeler 2019 draft class. All but 6-175 and 7-219 are listed on the team roster... in addition to 5 FAs. The Steelers show a total of 12 second-year players on their roster including almost all of that 2019 draft class.

Maybe you are thinking of 2018 or something?   NOPE-- they show nine 3rd year players rostered.

Roster was a poor choice of wording, because i meant won’t roster likely after this year like i mention with the colts and Paris Campbell. 

Steelers

Justin Layne 3rd pick- 10 career tackles, be surprised if he makes it another year. 

Benny Snell i marked as a hit, but hardly a hit. 195 yards rushing this season with a 3.5YPC /+ a sub 4 YPA avg in his entire career. He could be let go this offseason or atleast won’t see a second contract. 

Gentry has played in 6 career games and one career catch and just caught a trip to the IR, he will be cut this offseason. 

Sutton Smith is bouncing around the league, likely already out of it. 

Isaiah Buggs I’ll be honest i thought he was already cut but that’s coming— 13 career total tackles. He’ll be replaced. 

ulysees Gilbert has 3 career solo tackles and no registered stats this year, likely not making the team next year. 

derwin gray has played 9 career snaps, doesn’t look like he will be sticking around. 

9 hours ago, oldschool said:

Yup. Its also way too early to give him shit over the 2020 draft. 

I look at 2020 as a draft where JRob swung for the fences and hit a foul ball. The only real unforgivable given the depth and roster of the team going into the draft is drafting Cole McDonald when the top kicker is sitting there. I have to think JRob thought he could sign Blankenship as an UFA. I HOPE JRob thought he could just sign Blankenship....

1 minute ago, Starkiller said:

It’s far too early to judge the 2020 draft. The top guys have all been injured. 

As for drafting a kicker, it’s generally a poor idea. Usually kickers take a few years to mature. Plenty of drafted kickers have been busts.

And It’s not like Rodrigo was some amazing college kicker. He missed 6 FGs his senior year and was a career 82% in college. Gostkowski is a career 87+% in 14 NFL seasons for perspective.