JRob's 2020 Decisions Will Bite Us In The Butt.

Number9

On 1/10/2021 at 12:26 AM, Number9 said:

CT.  I have stayed out of this over the years, but I believe this one is dead.  j/s

v3imagesbin0f837dae8f118186210b0640f19ed

It's ain't dead. In fact, it is reviving. Suddenly there is looming suspicion about J-Rob-- concerns I voiced years ago and consistently.

J-Rob had an extended Honeymoon Period complete with Rose-colored Glasses because the Webster era was so awful.

We've nearly been to the summit in the last couple of years riding a couple of horses (Tannehill and Henry) and what I read here is that our roster is a disaster. It is. Why? His management of draft capital has been detrimental and we have been scrambling. Every GM is going to misjudge now and then, but I fear we are striking out too often.

Conklin is the only 2020 all-pro that required three premium draft picks to acquire. Most of our "stars" are 2nd and 3rd round picks. Look it up.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These arguments about whether Robinson is elite or a great GM are meaningless.   Building an NFL team is always changing inexact process that requires risk/reward decisions based on how clos

Here, I'll toss Charlie a bone. Trading picks to move up inherently feels risky because we know how much of a crap shoot the draft can be. The idea that you should have as many picks as possible (akin

BTW   I'm definitely extending King this off season 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, charleytolar said:

It's ain't dead. In fact, it is reviving. Suddenly there is looming suspicion about J-Rob-- concerns I voiced years ago and consistently.

J-Rob had an extended Honeymoon Period complete with Rose-colored Glasses because the Webster era was so awful.

We've nearly been to the summit in the last couple of years riding a couple of horses (Tannehill and Henry) and what I read here is that our roster is a disaster. It is. Why? His management of draft capital has been detrimental and we have been scrambling. Every GM is going to misjudge now and then, but I fear we are striking out too often.

Conklin is the only 2020 all-pro that required three premium draft picks to acquire. Most of our "stars" are 2nd and 3rd round picks. Look it up.

It's a miracle!  I never would have believed it possible, but in light of current events it's part of an ever changing situation.

6 hours ago, charleytolar said:

Conklin is a two time all-pro.

2 minutes ago, rns90 said:

Jeez, it must be that time of the month for Charley.  The topic isn't really about Conklin and he still whines about that trade that happened in 2016.

It's really unbelievable.  I'd have thought by now, with all of the shit he gets for only talking Conklin, that he would at least try a different tact.

1 hour ago, japan said:

It's really unbelievable.  I'd have thought by now, with all of the shit he gets for only talking Conklin, that he would at least try a different tact.

I nominate Isaiah Wilson as @charleytolar new greatest Jon Robinson mistake.  Charley can keep up with every Isaiah fuck up and blast JRob with each incident.

15 hours ago, rns90 said:

Jeez, it must be that time of the month for Charley.  The topic isn't really about Conklin and he still whines about that trade that happened in 2016.

I got a mention that I thought deserved and needed a response. Whining? That changes nothing. I'm alerting us to the bad draft management practiced by J-Rob. There are several comments that point to that in this and other threads. Ignore at your own peril!

3 hours ago, charleytolar said:

I got a mention that I thought deserved and needed a response. Whining? That changes nothing. I'm alerting us to the bad draft management practiced by J-Rob. There are several comments that point to that in this and other threads. Ignore at your own peril!

I have my opinions about the change of operating method in 2020.  Now you see the Rams.  The Titans got all those picks from them and they went to the SB.  One step behind are the Titans trading for Conklin and going to the AFCCG.  Both those teams came from the bottom of the league to success.  What do you think about the Rams?  They have now out pick traded JRob twice?

28 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I have my opinions about the change of operating method in 2020.  Now you see the Rams.  The Titans got all those picks from them and they went to the SB.  One step behind are the Titans trading for Conklin and going to the AFCCG.  Both those teams came from the bottom of the league to success.  What do you think about the Rams?  They have now out pick traded JRob twice?

Have you seen the gaggle of picks that Jared Goff has cost the Rams-- first to acquire and then to dispatch. It's ridiculous. I'll see if I can find it.

If memory serves correct, they went to the Super Bowl, then missed the playoffs I believe, and this year got bounced out of the playoffs after winning a wild card game.

I think you're giving a single player too much credit for a team's success. No one gets that save a QB or maybe a stud RB and Goff is not the reason the Rams were in that Super Bowl.

Edited by charleytolar

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

I have some serious complaints/observations about QB ruining teams.

Well, the wrong one sure! But no single player can make a difference like a good QB can. Look how Tannehill lifted this bunch in 2019 from the dismal Mariota reign.

2 hours ago, charleytolar said:

Well, the wrong one sure! But no single player can make a difference like a good QB can. Look how Tannehill lifted this bunch in 2019 from the dismal Mariota reign.

Tannehill is closer to a fair value.  Some teams trade draft picks and overpay bad QBs.  Mariota sucked 22M from the Titans his last year.  There are never more than a couple who can win a SB with a team weak  in one area and even then they can not be that weak.  Chicago Bears.  Baltimore Ravens.  Eagles.

Baltimore is going to be in Cap Hell when they pay Jackson.  They have to pay him and the market is set.  I don't think he'll last more than two years.  So there they will be.  Gigantic QB salary with a QB who has to have a whole lot of help.

25 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Tannehill is closer to a fair value.  Some teams trade draft picks and overpay bad QBs.  Mariota sucked 22M from the Titans his last year.  There are never more than a couple who can win a SB with a team weak  in one area and even then they can not be that weak.  Chicago Bears.  Baltimore Ravens.  Eagles.

Baltimore is going to be in Cap Hell when they pay Jackson.  They have to pay him and the market is set.  I don't think he'll last more than two years.  So there they will be.  Gigantic QB salary with a QB who has to have a whole lot of help.

Not sure how you mean "fair value." We got a top QB for a 4th and a 6/7th. That is a BOTH a steal and a gamble because it was a 1-year rental. J-Rob read those tea leaves properly.

The Bears' and Ravens' Super Bowl wins were by virtue of dominating defenses and stud running games, but they were outliers really. No repeats (or even close). Foles had one great year in Philly before he left and then he came back after Wentz's injury to be heroic in the late season including a Super Bowl win before returning to his mediocrity in both Jacksonville and Chicago.