Taysom Hill starting at QB

9 Nines

https://fantasy.nfl.com/

Receiving starting reps

Hill has been receiving the reps with the No. 1 offense at practice this week and may start Sunday's game against the Falcons, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

Analysis: Coach Sean Payton said Monday that he wouldn't name a starting quarterback until the end of the week, but it appears Hill is trending toward being the fill-in starter this weekend with Drew Brees (ribs) sidelined. Jameis Winston stepped in when Brees exited last week's contest and was the favorite to start Sunday, but it appears Hill could be leading the offense. Payton should provide more information after Friday's practice.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't see how anyone who is a huge fan of a team can watch more than 1 game at the same time.

Its downright crazy Hill is starting over Winston. Payton's obsession with Hill is nuts. 

He is legit trying to look for offers for Hill by talking him up

7 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Its downright crazy Hill is starting over Winston. Payton's obsession with Hill is nuts. 

Winston was absolutely terrible last weekend. He was throwing like 5 yards over receivers head fairly consistently. I bet that’s what drove the decision but I’d be surprised if Hill wasn’t equally bad

2 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

Winston was absolutely terrible last weekend. He was throwing like 5 yards over receivers head fairly consistently. I bet that’s what drove the decision but I’d be surprised if Hill wasn’t equally bad

I'm not a Winston fan but he's won games. Hill has 10 completions in his entire NFL career. The guy simply isn't a QB. There is no question Winston with a full week of starter reps in practice and gameplanning gives the Saints a better chance to win than Hill. This is simply Payton scratching his itch for Hill.

2 minutes ago, oldschool said:

I'm not a Winston fan but he's won games. Hill has 10 completions in his entire NFL career. The guy simply isn't a QB. There is no question Winston with a full week of starter reps in practice and gameplanning gives the Saints a better chance to win than Hill. This is simply Payton scratching his itch for Hill.

Sean Payton is on record saying he sees enough in Taysom Hill to see him as Saints future starter.  Earlier in the week, after Winston played after Brees's injury, casual observers saw that as a sign that Winston was the backup QB, but people following the Saints said no, it meant Hill did not practice that week as QB but instead as TE/WR/gadget so Winston, who did, played in relief.   Now, as Payton envisioned, Hill focuses on quarterback.  Hill is playing for future Saints starter. 

In regular NFL games, he has only played TE and gadget player.   In preseason games, he played as QB.  Here are some highlights - first part is just rushing but last 3/4 shows his passing.  He throws to open receivers, so it is hard to tell how he will do on timing routes, but his long passes look good and are placed well:

They already know what they have in Winston and that is a guy with a career 40% winning percentage.

I love this decision.  Taysom has worked hard and done everything they've asked to keep that roster spot.  Give the kid a chance to prove he can play QB.  If he sucks, it's only one game and then you go to Winston.

Watching his preseason play, he plays a lot like Steve McNair.   Doesn't see what he wants, and takes off instead of holding the ball risking a sack or making a risky throw.  I like that decisive play. 

Edited by 9 Nines

13 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Holy shit 10 passes lol

10 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Holy shit 10 passes lol

18 and he is averaging 11.4 yards per attempt. In preseason games, where he played QB versus gimmick as he has in NFL regular season games, his play reminds me of Steve McNair a lot.   If Payton has gotten him to even average quarterback passing abilities, he could be one of the best - think McNair toughness and running but in a system where he is allowed to focus on passing.  

Edited by 9 Nines

1 minute ago, 9 Nines said:

18 and he is averaging 11.4 yards per attempt. In preseason games, where he played QB versus gimmick as he has in NFL regular season games, his play reminds me of Steve McNair a lot. 

I saw those preseason highlights. He's no McNair lol

And please don't quote yards per attempt. His big yards come from the fact teams are legit shocked when he actually throws it so of course he gets chunks.