The real bogeymen

El Guapo

https://greenwald.substack.com/p/the-new-ruling-coalition-opposition

One of the few true journalist left.  This guy doesnt seem to answer to anybody.

He is right that the left has seemingly embraced institutions that in the past were anathema to them. 

Interesting opinion and would like some commentary...

There is a faction of the democratic party that has allied with neocons.  There is a ridiculous amount of propoganda on all sides floated around constantly and no one is innocent.  It is impossible to argue that Republicans, George Bush, Donald Trump, or Moscow Mitch have had the best interests of the American people at heart and governing Republicans in the highest offices have both disgraced and weakened America for more than two decades.

All of these things are simultaneously true.  Yes, Trump is withdrawing troops and I applaud him for doing so.  I won't lie, there are several policies he's implemented that I strongly agree with.  That doesn't excuse the incredible damage he's done to our government and society, the institutions he's completely eroded, the lives he's cost, the alliances he's weakened, or our reputation around the world that he's completely tarnished.

Biden isn't JFK and there are definitely factions of the left that have their own agenda and will actively work to enhance that agenda even at the cost of America.  It's still a better alternative to Trump the dictator.  Trump will be remembered as the worst president in history and that's difficult to imagine after Bush.  There's your opinion and commentary.  

19 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Not allied with neocons, they are neocons. Biden was one of them

He was against invading Iraq and wanted a more limited incursion like what we did in Libya and Syria. He also did not want to surge in Iraq or to go into Libya. He definitely believes in projecting American power, but I wouldn’t classify him as a neocon. 

As for the article, I don’t disagree with all of it, but it is pretty hypocritical to note Trump wants to leave Iraq and Afghanistan while not noting he has continuously bragged about rebuilding the military and has signed the largest DOD bills in the history of our country, also touting that as an achievement. You can’t have it both ways.

We need to get out of both of those countries and leave residual forces. Leaving in a rush for the president’s legacy isn’t the proper method. He had four years to accomplish this and is now simultaneously trying to spark a collision with Iran while leaving Iraq and Afghanistan.

Our foreign policy has been a wreck since GW, and any notion it hasn’t further eroded under Trump because he wants to cement a legacy is at best a misnomer. 

1 hour ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

As for the article, I don’t disagree with all of it, but it is pretty hypocritical to note Trump wants to leave Iraq and Afghanistan while not noting he has continuously bragged about rebuilding the military and has signed the largest DOD bills in the history of our country, also touting that as an achievement. You can’t have it both ways.

We need to get out of both of those countries and leave residual forces. Leaving in a rush for the president’s legacy isn’t the proper method. He had four years to accomplish this and is now simultaneously trying to spark a collision with Iran while leaving Iraq and Afghanistan.

Our foreign policy has been a wreck since GW, and any notion it hasn’t further eroded under Trump because he wants to cement a legacy is at best a misnomer. 

I think you absolutely can have it both ways. 

Edited by El Guapo

12 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I think you absolutely can have it both ways. 

He’s used more drone strikes than any other president. That is war. Don’t act like because he wants troops off the ground he’s maneuvering for sustained peace or to have the US not be the police of the world. 

He had to be talked down from striking Iran for nuclear material they wouldn’t have if not for him unilaterally removing us from a multilateral, international agreement. 

14 hours ago, El Guapo said:

https://greenwald.substack.com/p/the-new-ruling-coalition-opposition

One of the few true journalist left.  This guy doesnt seem to answer to anybody.

He is right that the left has seemingly embraced institutions that in the past were anathema to them. 

Interesting opinion and would like some commentary...

Well, I'm not sure I'd say "true journalist left".  He made several comments that would suggest a biased opinion.  

That said, the overarching point is, I think, fair.  There is a long standing belief of those in power, left or right, of engagement militarily.  While Trump wasn't purely anti-militarism, he didn't get us engaged in another official war.  For that, I give credit.  But that doesn't mean we weren't engaged.  You probably don't remember super Trump supporter Ben, who went off on Trump for bombing Syria.  Don't fret, he quickly got back in line.  

To the author's point, no doubt office Democrats has a propensity for being the global police, but it's ridiculous to suggest office Republicans do not.  Again, I think this is where Trump deserves some credit.  I don't mind a draw down of troops.  

Another note in which the author eclipsed was the Trump supporter desire for ending endless wars.  That would appear on the surface to be correct.  A lot of Trump supporters are on the "get out the endless war" train.  But honestly, if Trump decided to declare war on some Middle Eastern nation, do you think they would be against it?   Seriously?  I mean really, seriously?  

Aside from political "hey, let's do what our leader says", which is default, I do think there is some validity to the modern Republican base that resents the endless war phenomenon.  Ron Paul had an effect on Conservatism in that regard.  As does a significant portion of the Democratic base. 

It's an odd thing, I'll admit, that the current Republican base has an anti-war sentiment, however, I have no illusion that it wouldn't change overnight by Trump declaring war on someone.  Do you?  

12 minutes ago, Rogue said:

It's an odd thing, I'll admit, that the current Republican base has an anti-war sentiment, however, I have no illusion that it wouldn't change overnight by Trump declaring war on someone.  Do you?  

They supported the Iraq war and would support another one in a heartbeat 

Both sides are or have been pro war. Both sides have different reasons for wanting to go to war (or not wanting to). Both sides are going to support the military to protect the US from attack, or to respond to one (like Afghanistan). Democrats are more likely to want to try to intercede militarily to stop civilians from being killed (like Clinton in Bosnia or Obama in Libya). Republicans tend to have less altruistic motives when they want to use the military (or CIA) and instead generally try to overthrow an unfriendly government.

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

They supported the Iraq war and would support another one in a heartbeat 

And that's the conundrum we all know, right?  Some of the base has a current negative view on the "endless wars" mindset, but we also know the most of them are willing to drop bombs on anyone. 

It's not a divide the GOP has to worry about. I do think there's a base of people tired of war, but when the rubber meets the road, they are all for it.