Gil Brandt Teams Better/Worse Than Their Record.

Number9

https://www.nfl.com/news/three-nfl-teams-better-than-their-records-and-three-that-are-worse

Worse  Titans  6-3

I was excited about the Titans after their 5-0 start -- perhaps too excited, considering four of those early wins came against teams that currently carry losing records (Denver, Jacksonville, Minnesota and Houston) by a combined margin of 12 points. Horrendous third-down defense -- stemming from a mediocre pass rush and the absence to this point in the season of cornerback Adoree' Jackson -- and the kicking woes of Stephen Gostkowskiare ongoing issues, while the loss of left tackle Taylor Lewan to a torn ACL for the season will hurt the offense. I'm not going to write off this team, considering how hot Ryan Tannehill, Derrick Henry and Co. got at the end of 2019, but the next three weeks (at Baltimore, at Indianapolis, vs. Cleveland) are pivotal in the tightly bunched AFC.

Gil Brandt

Opinions

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tannehill's completion percentage before the Houston game: 70%   Tannehill's completition percentage since the Houston game: 56%   Tannehill's touchdown and interceptions aren't al

Every team has injuries. Not hiring a DC was the biggest failure of the offseason. I like Vrabel as a HC but If he refuses to hire a DC again this offseason he needs to be given the Mularkey treatment

Posted Images

Gil has a point, but I think reality is the Titans have suffered the loss of too many players that we expected to deliver this year.  Taylor Lewan*-Out.  Kern*-Hurt.  Beasley*-Bust.  Goscantski*-Dud. Draft picks 1,2,3 unavailable.  Wilson*-0, I think they expected Wilson to be starting by now and mauling DL to open space for DH.  Kristian Fulton*Hurt-I think they had a lot of plans for him and he got hurt before he began to do what the Titans saw in him.  Darrynton Evans*-Hurt. He was expected to be a big part of making the offense more explosive.  A teams can't suffer the loss of that many players and still play on the same level.  They can adjust a game or two, but in the end it's about talent.

5 hours ago, heyitsmeallen said:

Every team has injuries. Not hiring a DC was the biggest failure of the offseason. I like Vrabel as a HC but If he refuses to hire a DC again this offseason he needs to be given the Mularkey treatment. Coaching is wasting the best team the Titans have ever had. Losing Coombs was huge too. The secondary has no fire anymore. He always had them fired up and flying around the field. 

This is not the best team the franchise has ever had talent wise.  JFC.  One could argue that the offense is one of their best but the talent on D is nothing compared to 99-03 or 2008.....And that's not even going back to the Oilers days.

The same flaws this team has are the same fucking flaws they had last year.  They can't rush the passer.  The fact that the defense ran into a horrid NE offense and Lamar last year skewed you idiots into thinking the defense was some juggernaut. 

9 minutes ago, HollyHeap said:

The same flaws this team has are the same fucking flaws they had last year.  They can't rush the passer.  The fact that the defense ran into a horrid NE offense and Lamar last year skewed you idiots into thinking the defense was some juggernaut. 

They’re getting to the passer. We have 2 of the top 20 pressure players in the league. The problem is that almost every QB we’ve faced has released the ball quicker against us than any other team they’ve played. 

13 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

They’re getting to the passer. We have 2 of the top 20 pressure players in the league. The problem is that almost every QB we’ve faced has released the ball quicker against us than any other team they’ve played. 

Their 30th in pressure rate, 30th in sacks, 31st in hurries..........DERP

2 minutes ago, HollyHeap said:

Their 30th in pressure rate, 30th in sacks, 31st in hurries..........DERP

They’re* dum dum. 

Maybe the stat changed, but as has been noted for weeks now Landry and Clowney have been top 20 in NFL pressure ratings.

As I said, which is a fact, QB’s are releasing the ball against our defense much quicker than they are against other opponents. Put the two together. 

1 hour ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Tannehill's completion percentage before the Houston game: 70%

Tannehill's completition percentage since the Houston game: 56%

Tannehill's touchdown and interceptions aren't all that different, which tells me he's still making mostly the same good decisions with the ball.

Tannehill's sacks before Houston and after: 3 to 7. And it seems like he's being hurried and hit more frequently in addition.

Idk how the fuck anyone could argue that losing Lewan hasn't hurt Tannehill's overall production.

We played shit defenses first couple of games aside from denver. Now we are facing all top 10 dvoa defenses since hes been out. Lewan only started and finished in the Jaguars game iirc. Not having him sucks but its possible he would have been struggling along with everybody else thru this stretch with having to face better quality dlinemen and edge rushers.

5 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

They’re* dum dum. 

Maybe the stat changed, but as has been noted for weeks now Landry and Clowney have been top 20 in NFL pressure ratings.

As I said, which is a fact, QB’s are releasing the ball against our defense much quicker than they are against other opponents. Put the two together.

The pass rush hasn't been and isn't good.  WTF do you think Robinson went out and signed Beasley and Clowney for?  

There cetainly are instances where the ball is coming out quick but there are also plenty of cases where QB's had all day to throw or avoided initial pressure to make completions.  The FACT is that the Titans pressure, hurry, and sack QB's at a level that is at the bottom of the league.  If they do this against, say KC or even Pittsburgh or another good passing team, it's not going to work out well.....Just like it didn't in the AFCC, 

7 minutes ago, HollyHeap said:

The pass rush hasn't been and isn't good.  WTF do you think Robinson went out and signed Beasley and Clowney for?  

There cetainly are instances where the ball is coming out quick but there are also plenty of cases where QB's had all day to throw or avoided initial pressure to make completions.  The FACT is that the Titans pressure, hurry, and sack QB's at a level that is at the bottom of the league.  If they do this against, say KC or even Pittsburgh or another good passing team, it's not going to work out well.....Just like it didn't in the AFCC, 

No one is disagreeing with you. I’m not saying it’s all on the scheme or the secondary. I’m saying the system isn’t working and needs to change immediately because on the whole it’s been shit. 

And it isn’t instances as you say. It’s almost every single QB who is releasing quicker than any other opponent they face. That is a fact. Deal with it. Only one of the things can be changed in this circumstance, and it isn’t personnel. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny