Jonnu Smith's lack of targets is malpractice

OILERMAN

2 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Total yards for a RB is a pretty good stat. What is your argument otherwise? 

Total yards just means he still gets enough carries or doesn't get injured unless he is off the charts on a ypc basis which is clearly a much better stat on how much they actually help the team... It's all context obviously

Henry is near the top of the league in yards (because volume), it's just a fact to point out. Not something to brag about how good he is.

Edited by wiscotitansfan

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The first 4 or 5 games this season Smith had 5 to 8 targets per game and had 5 TDs and was a legit weapon.    Suddenly he's a forgotten man the last few weeks. I realize he was banged up but

Two things changed for Jonnu he hurt his ankle and more importantly Lewan got injured and the offense hasn't consistently looked the same since.   Willing to bet he was kept inline a fair bi

Its pretty obvious that they don't fully trust both OT right now and its really starting to affect the offense, the fact JRob reportedly attempted to trade for an OT before the trade deadline expired

3 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Total yards just means he still gets enough carries or doesn't get injured unless he is off the charts on a ypc basis which is clearly a much better stat on how much they actually help the team... It's all context obviously

Henry is near the top of the league in yards (because volume), it's just a fact to point out. Not something to brag about how good he is.

Fair. Obviously ypc in conjunction with volume of carries are a factor in total yards. I think its a little off to say yards don't matter. It's not like Henry is averaging 3 ypc while being 2nd in rushing yards. Henry is still the best of the non all around RBs. I'll say it again, this team needs to stop trying to make him into an all around back. McNichols and Foreman have earned more carries in my opionion. Its a shame Evans can't get in the field as he would give the offense the one thing its really missing in a pass catching RB.

10 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Fair. Obviously ypc in conjunction with volume of carries are a factor in total yards. I think its a little off to say yards don't matter. It's not like Henry is averaging 3 ypc while being 2nd in rushing yards. Henry is still the best of the non all around RBs. I'll say it again, this team needs to stop trying to make him into an all around back. McNichols and Foreman have earned more carries in my opionion. Its a shame Evans can't get in the field as he would give the offense the one thing its really missing in a pass catching RB.

I don't think they try to make him an all-purpose back though, He leads the league in carries but Titans are dead last in the NFL in terms of targeting their RB. Only the Jets target their most passed to RB less than us too.

I agree with you though that he has too many carries early on and we don't use him as the closer role that he really shines in (i think that's what you are getting at). I have no problem with the amount of touches that Henry gets, I just won't ever brag when that player is near the top of the league in yards. If a player leads the league in both carries by a long shot and also has the longest carry, that player is without a doubt gonna be the leagues leading rusher. It's just not something to be impressed about to me though. I'm probably downplaying it, but at least I am providing context compared to just blindly telling people he leads the league in rushing.

Edited by wiscotitansfan

Does anyone remember which game it was where Jonnu got a catch very early in the game and he cut up-field and seemed to be easily the fastest person on the field till he ran into some secondary like 15 yards upfield? I think there may have been a flag even.

I remember a couple posters in the game thread simultaneously mentioning how he switched a gear that made him look just faster than everyone around him. Want to check that out again with gamepass.

58 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Total yards DOESN'T MATTER. It's not a valid point to argue for someone's effectiveness.... It seems like you try to make anyone who disagrees with you look like they hate Henry because you use such simple ideas to prove someone's value.

Henry is fine, even better than that too. But total yards is not a reasonable point to make almost ever unless you are talking about career longevity

Total yards DO matter because those yards reflect plays that helped the team progress towards the goal of an offense which is to score points. If total yards "didn't matter" every legitimate football site wouldn't track it as a stat. Now, that doesn't mean that total yards are the most important stat, or even one of the most representative of good play; efficiency stats for example are more reflective (and I've said that a million times at this point). This is why I have no problem saying that despite Cook and Henry only being separated by less than 50 rushing yards, Cook's efficiency shows he's been much better. 

I don't make anyone feel like anything. You're responsible for your own feelings. You're a grown ass man. You decided to quote me, misrepresent what I was saying as if you had some brilliant point no one else has ever thought of, and then got sensitive when I had the nerve to directly respond to you. I'm not the one with the problem. I also don't think you're a hater, I just think you're wrong and trying way too hard to make me look dumb or something. It's not working. 

10 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

I just think you're wrong and trying way too hard to make me look dumb or something. It's not working. 

I called you out for just straight up being wrong about facts and then you went into a diatribe about how you weren't.... After that was when all the whining on both of our sides happened. You value total yards more than me. Period. We're done with this exchange.

Edited by wiscotitansfan

1 minute ago, wiscotitansfan said:

I simply called you out for just straight up being wrong about facts and then you went into a diatribe about how you weren't.... After that was when all the whining on both of our sides happened. You value total yards more than me. Period. We're done with this exchange.

No. Had you offered a simple correction to my stat (which was outdated by like 2 days) like oldschool did, it would've been fine. I've never minded being corrected. You misrepresented my including Henry being the leading rusher as if I was saying that for that sole reason he was the best back in the league when that was not the point I was making. Then you proceeded to be condescending dick about a stat that was largely irrelevant to my point and you didn't even know was inaccurate until oldschool pointed it out. But yeah, I'm done with this exchange now too.