tgo

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't trust polling at all anymore. 

Someone needs to run an ad campaign in Georgia:   "The whole world knows the election was STOLEN from Donald Trump....and Senators Perdue and Loeffler stood there and let it happen.   They d

This past weekend, my son ran sound at a rally-style David Perdue event in NW Georgia that featured an appearance by Don Jr. and Kimberly What-her-face.  (Guifoyle or whatever.)       The ev

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Starkiller said:

Yeah well I haven’t found any clear answer on that

I thought I read somewhere that it would revert to the last power sharing agreement and that it wasn't something the dems should want. I'll see if I can find it. 

23 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

I thought I read somewhere that it would revert to the last power sharing agreement and that it wasn't something the dems should want. I'll see if I can find it. 

It seems that things revert to the rules the last congress operated under which be the 2018 congress the GOp controls. Schumer actually wants to use the last power sharing agreement from 2001. what isn't clear is how long can McConnell stonewall on this issue? if Its indefinite why wouldn't he go that route? I feel like something is being under reported here.  

1 hour ago, Mythos27 said:

Perhaps the old rules simply stay in place until there is a new set of rules. But I have no clue if there is some deadline...

41 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Perhaps the old rules simply stay in place until there is a new set of rules. But I have no clue if there is some deadline...

It's actually kind of odd that I can't find any solid explanation of what happens if they fail to reach a new agreement. It really speaks to how rare it is to have a 50/50 senate.

It seems this is another in a long line of situations the Constitution was not ready to resolve. Without getting the committees in place getting rid of the filibuster doesn’t make any sense as everything will be taken down before it can even reach a vote. McConnell has no reason to change anything at all if he isn’t forced to do so. 

“McConnell rolled over Democrats unapologetically, and kept tight control over his fellow Republicans, while in the majority. But he's showing equal skill as minority leader, using political jiujitsu to convert a perceived weakness into strength.”

“The same 50-50 Senate that empowers Schumer through Vice President Kamala Harris' tie-breaking vote also has an inherent thin margin of error. McConnell is exploiting that to ensure Senate business still operates on his terms.”

“It was McConnell — not Schumer — who laid out the schedule for former President Trump's impeachment trial, demanding it to be pushed to mid-February. Schumer acquiesced, arguing he would use the time to pass President Biden's Cabinet nominations.”

(Note: Schumer acquiesed because Biden backed McConnell’s approach over Pelosi/Hoyer/Schumer’s approach) 

“White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki cited McConnell — not Schumer — while discussing those nominees. "I know that our secretary of State is just about to get confirmed, or so Sen. McConnell tells us," she told reporters Friday.”

“Schumer told reporters to "ask McConnell" when they peppered him with questions last week about Janet Yellen's confirmation vote for Treasury secretary.”

McConnell is such a superior tactician to Schumer it’s embarrassing, and has superior resolve. Only Harry Reid was capable of going toe to toe with him. No one in the current Dem Senate caucus can match him - will be glad when he retires. 

3 minutes ago, tgo said:

“McConnell rolled over Democrats unapologetically, and kept tight control over his fellow Republicans, while in the majority. But he's showing equal skill as minority leader, using political jiujitsu to convert a perceived weakness into strength.”

“The same 50-50 Senate that empowers Schumer through Vice President Kamala Harris' tie-breaking vote also has an inherent thin margin of error. McConnell is exploiting that to ensure Senate business still operates on his terms.”

“It was McConnell — not Schumer — who laid out the schedule for former President Trump's impeachment trial, demanding it to be pushed to mid-February. Schumer acquiesced, arguing he would use the time to pass President Biden's Cabinet nominations.”

(Note: Schumer acquiesed because Biden backed McConnell’s approach over Pelosi/Hoyer/Schumer’s approach) 

“White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki cited McConnell — not Schumer — while discussing those nominees. "I know that our secretary of State is just about to get confirmed, or so Sen. McConnell tells us," she told reporters Friday.”

“Schumer told reporters to "ask McConnell" when they peppered him with questions last week about Janet Yellen's confirmation vote for Treasury secretary.”

McConnell is such a superior tactician to Schumer it’s embarrassing, and has superior resolve. Only Harry Reid was capable of going toe to toe with him. No one in the current Dem Senate caucus can match him - will be glad when he retires. 

Yup. Schumer is weak and uninspiring. McConnell runs circles around him.

4 minutes ago, tgo said:

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

You keep citing this nonsense and its still as wrong now as it was the first time.

Claire McCaskill mentioned a procedural move today that Schumer could potentially invoke to lower the threshold on voting for the power sharing structure, making it only require a 51 vote majority vs a 60 vote majority. Something about changing the rule via simple majority to then vote for the agreement via simple majority. 

20 minutes ago, tgo said:

McConnell isn’t really a superior tactician, he just has the power to do what he wants and Schumer doesn’t.