Who's moving to Oregon?

2 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Ever read up on Portugal? They seem to be doing just fine. Their crime rates have dropped precipitously after legalization, and less people per capita actually use drugs now because of the rehabilitation facilities they’ve opened across the country. 

Let's hope that works here too. Oregon isn't Portugal

9 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Let's hope that works here too. Oregon isn't Portugal

Agreed on both accounts. I’m saying there is evidence and data that supports decriminalization of drugs. Instead of incarceration which often times leads to lifelong criminals, rehabilitation is a better option in most cases. From what I read about the law it is still a felony to sell narcotics if proven not to be for personal use. I think that makes sense in a lot of ways and I’m looking forward to reading data over the next decade on how it all pans out. 

@Bink man, it's time to hit the Oregon trail!  Get out that cool knife and let's chop some up! :D  @woolfolksunclesuncle said he's in too!  Edit:  2 days later and still no reply/reaction from @woolfolksunclesuncle?  I'm stunned.  The Oregon trail will truly miss his presence!  Ah, well, more rock to chop for me and Bink!

41ARbjFUd%2BL._AC_.jpg&key=d520342a2bab4

Edited by OilerTitanHybrid

I will have the debate about drug control all day every day. You want to reduce drug related crimes and violence? Pass better laws, legalize, and regulate. 

Drug laws in this country have been historically bad. 

This law in Oregon is a good step. They are decriminalizing possession of small amounts. 

What this means is that everyone caught with a small amount of drugs gets a shot at rehab and help, not just your upper-middle class cokehead daughter at the University of Oregon. 

6 minutes ago, Bink said:

I will have the debate about drug control all day every day. You want to reduce drug related crimes and violence? Pass better laws, legalize, and regulate. 

Drug laws in this country have been historically bad. 

This law in Oregon is a good step. They are decriminalizing possession of small amounts. 

What this means is that everyone caught with a small amount of drugs gets a shot at rehab and help, not just your upper-middle class cokehead daughter at the University of Oregon. 

Seriously though, here's what came to mind when I thought about this. 

I happened to find myself in a book club discussing "Just Mercy" by Bryan Stevenson. You should read it, or watch the Michael B. Jordan movie. 

Most of the rest of the people in this small group were black women. 

We started sharing stories. I had a friend who in the past who was in legal trouble because he was busted with magic mushrooms, a small amount of weed, baggies, and a scale. 

They shared their stories too. One woman's brother served years in jail because of a bar fight. Multiple women had a relative or neighbor who had served time because of a minor drug offense, which in every case was simple possession of marijuana. The sentences varied from months to years. 

My friend? He looked like a shorter, more clean cut version of Trevor Lawrence. He got phone probation. He only had to piss in a cup for month before it was making a call sporadically, a call he often made while rolling a joint to pass between us. 

This isn't right. If you don't have a strong opinion about drug reform, I encourage you to read up on the subject and listen to the stories of people who have been affected by it.  I realize drug use and addiction can cause problem, but we need significantly better answers, and laws like what Oregon is trying are a good step towards that.

On 11/5/2020 at 7:55 AM, headhunter said:

Did you see drug law they passed? Embarrassing

Why is it embarrassing? Why is it so bad to let people do what they want to their bodies if they choose to? Why do you hate freedom?

FYI no one is saying they have the right to drive or work high.

Edited by unauthorizedcinnamon