Jump to content
titanskick8851

Titans Defense - Tom Gower Twitter Thread

Recommended Posts

Thought this was interesting and would drum up some good discussion:

 

 

 


Very interesting to see the passes defensed rate up so much and our ability to force turnovers, but such a drop off in being able to get teams off the field on 3rd downs. Part of me says if they get more aggressive and close the ground then even more turnovers will follow, but there is a thing called Turnover Luck and we have been on the plus side of that all year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say the reason why the pass defense rate is higher this year is because teams understand that the defense is very susceptible in the secondary.  Defense might have more pass defenses, but they've been thrown on more this year as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, japan said:

How many big pass deflections does Simmons have. Can’t understate how great he’s playing. 

 

He's been a ridiculous presence on the d-line.  He's been very fun to watch this year as well.  He's the most complete player on defense that we've had in a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The corners have had tight coverage contrary to what many believe here I’ve rewatched games due to work and I see tight throws and good throws made by other teams QBs. I think the biggest issue is that these tight  throws have been mostly on 3rd downs so it makes it look that much worse. The good news is we’re forcing teams into 3rd downs but bad news is we can’t stop them. I think that’s been on coaching. We’re letting teams get to comfortable and these guys are running free no corner can cover all day. Gotta start bringing outside pressure. This is why Logan Ryan is missed he was a best blitzing corner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steelers converted at least 2 3rd and 10+ on their first drive alone iirc. It's why I wasn't too worried when they got up early. That's not sustainable... then the Titans pretty much shut them down the 2nd half iirc.

 

Getting Adoree back could be key for the titans defense.

 

But where's Evans? he's been invisible. Gotta think it has something to do w/ losing Pees who always seemed to have a great ILB in his defenses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Yoshimitsu said:

I'd say the reason why the pass defense rate is higher this year is because teams understand that the defense is very susceptible in the secondary.  Defense might have more pass defenses, but they've been thrown on more this year as well. 

I think it is the crazy amount of soft zone we have played. Either they get a easy catch or the defender gets a good break and gets a hand in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s on coaching. I never understood how guys get open in these zone coverages for first downs. It’s got to be maddening when you’re in 3rd and 8 and some dickhead 4th string receiver is getting a first down on you. Continuing the drive. This is why the chiefs beat us

last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, japan said:

How many big pass deflections does Simmons have. Can’t understate how great he’s playing. 

Came in to post this. Jeff Simmons is literally the only reason the wheels haven't come completely off of this defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

It’s on coaching. I never understood how guys get open in these zone coverages for first downs. It’s got to be maddening when you’re in 3rd and 8 and some dickhead 4th string receiver is getting a first down on you. Continuing the drive. This is why the chiefs beat us

last year. 

It's not just coaching. Too many defenders are covering the grass in their zone rather than the man. Receivers routinely run crossers and no back gets a hand on them. We offer no resistance at the LOS to receivers so they get 100% clean releases every down. It's a mess. You can't stop the short/quick passing game playing the way we currently are and that's where the Steelers hurt us. They'll try it again next time we see them and as of right now we have no answer for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasnt there something about Vrabel installing his "packages" on 3rd down last year? Like it was Dean Pees D but Vrabel controlled 3rd downs.

 

Seems to me that wasnt a strong point last year and we've doubled down on it.

 

I REAAALLY hope that JRob only approved the no DC situation if it could be re-evaluated at the midpoint of the season.

 

Ints are not sustainable. We are getting them because teams know they can throw a lot on us... so they throw a bunch and we are playing a defense that keeps the ball in front of us so the players are more aware of where the ball is once tipped. Added into that is our DBs playing so far off the ball that its easy pitch and catch on 3rd down.

 

We have a couple of really good safeties. We don't need to help them so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

It's not just coaching. Too many defenders are covering the grass in their zone rather than the man. Receivers routinely run crossers and no back gets a hand on them. We offer no resistance at the LOS to receivers so they get 100% clean releases every down. It's a mess. You can't stop the short/quick passing game playing the way we currently are and that's where the Steelers hurt us. They'll try it again next time we see them and as of right now we have no answer for it. 

It's this.  Receivers are just running free into the hole in zone and sitting there.  Ball gets out fast and 3rd and long is converted.  Add in some passes where the ball is caught short and the tackling is atrocious.  And there were a few where the qb just scrambled for a first down (not in this game though) and that's how we suck so bad.

 

Hopefully they learned to adjust because it's been a problem for the entire year it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



Titans Report Footer Logo

Titans Report is a fan operated website for the Tennessee Titans. The site includes a message board, blog, podcast, organized fantasy games,and a mobile site. The podcast has had on many prominent members of the media covering the Titans. Some names include John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, Jim Wyatt of the Tennessee Titans official website, Paul Kuharsky of 104.5 The Zone, Phillip B. Wilson of the Indy Star, Jonathan Hutton of the Titans Radio Network, Sal Capaccio of the Buffalo Bills Radio Network, Scott Wright of Draft Countdown, and others.

Recent Posts

Official Website

Kuharsky's Blog

ESPN NFL Nation

104.5 The Zone

102.5 The Game

TITANSLINKS

×
×
  • Create New...