Champions have to be better on Defense.

Number9

The Titans showed again Sunday, they are a championship caliber team.  One game comes to mind that happened two years ago in the playoffs.  New England was laying the smackdown on Kansas City while little Patty Mahomes sat on the bench and watched.  Halftime score, New England a bunch and Kansas City not much.  AFCCG and KC looked like dog poop.  Come the second half and KC went on a tear to almost win the game.  KC got better the next year and won the SB.

The 2020 Titans.  

The Titans are not known for pulling off dramatic comebacks when a strong defensive team has us by the nuts.  But you saw it Sunday, the 2020 Titans came back like champions.  Down 24-7, the game ended when the Titans failed to make a 45yd FG to tie the game.  The Titans have a winners spirit and believe they can beat anybody.  Vrabel teams play better in late November, December, January.  We are missing players every week, but only one major season ending injury.  Smith has to figure out how to score against anybody while he's getting Henry his carries early.  It's obvious the entire team feeds off Henry.  The 2020 Offense is better than last year's, imo.

I have been a big JRob/Vrabel backer, but I think it might be time to force more questions about what has happened to the D.  Coming into the Steelers game, the Titans were giving up 7+ yards per carry. So, there are legitimate reasons to question the front seven, including the ILB.  Even though JRob added two playmakers to the front, they performed better last year.  Did Vrabel take on too much responsibility?  Is this JRob's first big error as a GM to let a third year HC be HC/DC?

I think we rightly expected the D to be better in 2020.  Teams don't get many units capable of winning it all.  When you do get an exceptional team together, you have to get the most out of them.  Could a full time DC get more out of this D?   When they come together, they get stops.  The D needs to be more consistent.  Clowney has been playing well.  Vic Beasley, not so much.  Kamalei Correa asked to be and was traded.   This isn't what I envisioned all summer.

It's just one loss.  I didn't expect them to go 16-0.   The problem is this could have easily happened in some of these other close games this season.  This team has a whole lot of talent, someone has to get the most out of it.

Beasley played by far his best game against the Steelers. It isn’t much to harp on given the fact he’s been MIA, but it’s a glimmer of hope. 

On 3rd and long the front needs to be Landry, Simmons, Clowney, Beasley. I imagine the reason we haven’t ran a ton of that package is because we are only carrying 3 active OLBs. Welp, they need to quit that shit immediately. They also need to get Evans involved on 3rd down from the DE/OLB spot. 

Our offense is fine.  Enough so to bail out poor defensive games.  Over and over.  

It's clear our defense is the weak link, despite the talent being there, caveat being some players not being on the field. 

I just don't see the decision to forego a DC as being positive.  

25 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Beasley played by far his best game against the Steelers. It isn’t much to harp on given the fact he’s been MIA, but it’s a glimmer of hope. 

On 3rd and long the front needs to be Landry, Simmons, Clowney, Beasley. I imagine the reason we haven’t ran a ton of that package is because we are only carrying 3 active OLBs. Welp, they need to quit that shit immediately. They also need to get Evans involved on 3rd down from the DE/OLB spot. 

There’s a lack of creativity. Vrabel has a big job. The coaches. The players. The media. Isaiah Wilson.  He’s great at motivating the team. I think he’s especially good spending time with individual players. He just lacks the time to spend with one aspect of running the team. 

16 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Beasley graded out @91.1, highest grade on the team.  He just didn't play that much because they are still easing him in.  

My point is the DC should be catching a lot of heat.  Why?  The Titans are averaging 31 points per game and five of the games have come down to the last few seconds with the Titans needing to score.  So the problem is the DC or the OC?

The DC should be taking a lot of heat in the media.  If the offense was averaging 19 points per game and the defense was giving up 18, I bet you would hear a lot of talk/articles/tv about Arthur Smith.  Obviously, this is still the Nashville media.  So, I guess it's up to the fans.

3 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Beasley graded out @91.1, highest grade on the team.  He just didn't play that much because they are still easing him in.  

My point is the DC should be catching a lot of heat.  Why?  The Titans are averaging 31 points per game and five of the games have come down to the last few seconds with the Titans needing to score.  So the problem is the DC or the OC?

The DC should be taking a lot of heat in the media.  If the offense was averaging 19 points per game and the defense was giving up 18, I bet you would hear a lot of talk/articles/tv about Arthur Smith.  Obviously, this is still the Nashville media.  So, I guess it's up to the fans.

Oh for sure. I was being tangential but also noting the flaw in our 3rd down personnel, which of course leads back to Vrabel or Bowen. I also noted only keeping 3 OLBs has to stop, which is directly on Vrabel. They need to get their shit together. 

Archived