Corey Davis Never Seems to Make the Big Play

No1TitansFan

16 minutes ago, ctm said:

Where Davis was drafted and the resulting expectations are now irrelevant.

The issue is what to do going forward.  How much does he cost?  Does the cost match his current productivity?  What is the impact of him leaving have on the offense overall in 2021?  etc.....

Look forward, not back.

For sure. He won't be resigned and ironically the better he plays the less likely he is to be a Titan next year. 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You just said earlier this week that Jonnu shouldn't be paid and Firkser was better.  Which is it?

I honestly don't have any complaints with Corey. He's a victim of being drafted too high. He's a solid #2 who makes all the catches he should.    A Byard/Adams safety duo still has me drooli

Well, this abortion of a thread didn't age well after one week. 128 yards and a TD. Kid can play. 

Posted Images

The way Tanny was playing and spreading the ball around in prior weeks made Davis expendable.  After yesterday's game I wonder if be down for trading him....if we get a good offer.

Hump being hurt complicates that now however.

33 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Except he has made plenty of big plays. It's not on him that people have the memory of a goldfish. AJ Brown had plenty of one on one matchups yesterday too, he just didn't win them at the rate he usually does. He wasn't getting doubled every play as you suggest.

I have never seen Davis make plays like AJ Brown or DK Metcalf or even some of the new rookies that came this year.  It's not about memory. They don't exist. He has solid plays but hardly something to remember. 

I don't know why you're arguing this when it's obvious.

Davis makes solid catches in coverage. That's it. 

There's nothing about his game right now that says No. 1 receiver right now. He's a solid No. 2.

And hey, maybe that changes, but he needs more plays after the catch.

On 10/26/2020 at 8:54 AM, gaskill15 said:

I honestly don't have any complaints with Corey. He's a victim of being drafted too high. He's a solid #2 who makes all the catches he should. 

A Byard/Adams safety duo still has me drooling though. 

We should have drafted Pat Mahomes II

2 hours ago, big2033 said:

I have never seen Davis make plays like AJ Brown or DK Metcalf or even some of the new rookies that came this year.  It's not about memory. They don't exist. He has solid plays but hardly something to remember. 

I don't know why you're arguing this when it's obvious.

Davis makes solid catches in coverage. That's it. 

There's nothing about his game right now that says No. 1 receiver right now. He's a solid No. 2.

And hey, maybe that changes, but he needs more plays after the catch.

I argue because I disagree with your position that Davis is nothing more than a  decent possession receiver that doesn't make big plays. Given the way you're talking, it seems that the only plays that you consider to be big plays are taking slant to the house or hauling in a 40 yard go route for a TD. While those are certainly two examples of big plays, I would add that making a contested catch in overtime to ice a game is a big play. I think that climbing the ladder to catch a TD from your runningback in the playoffs is a big play. I also think that beating 2 patriots all pro cornerbacks for multiple touchdowns big plays. That's without mentioning many tough, contested 3rd down conversions that not just any receiver can make. I think Davis IS a big play receiver and has made plenty of them in his time here.  You can disagree and that's fine. I don't need anyone to agree with me. 

44 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

I argue because I disagree with your position that Davis is nothing more than a  decent possession receiver that doesn't make big plays. Given the way you're talking, it seems that the only plays that you consider to be big plays are taking slant to the house or hauling in a 40 yard go route for a TD. While those are certainly two examples of big plays, I would add that making a contested catch in overtime to ice a game is a big play. I think that climbing the ladder to catch a TD from your runningback in the playoffs is a big play. I also think that beating 2 patriots all pro cornerbacks for multiple touchdowns big plays. That's without mentioning many tough, contested 3rd down conversions that not just any receiver can make. I think Davis IS a big play receiver and has made plenty of them in his time here.  You can disagree and that's fine. I don't need anyone to agree with me. 

6 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Someone remind Mr wishbone that Davis is a great blocker. He'll probably change his tune.

Who cares that he's a great blocker lol.

It's just that you guys have a fondness for him as a Titan. Which is nice. But our love for a Titan doesn't equate to on-the-field value. He's solid. And a good Titan.

But his value is not at a WR 1 level right now and we're in a contract year.

And please, PLEASE don't get into "Mariota did this once" scenarios with him. I don't want to go down that road again.

You don't throw the ball to Davis trusting he makes a play like you would a DeAndre Hopkins or even a Tyreek Hill. You throw it to him when he gets open and yeah he'll make the catch and move the chains. Great!

Brown is already becoming more than that.

But hey, if he starts putting these starts together consistently I'll gladly say he's improved. But this game isn't an indicator. He's projected for 843 receiving yards this year. Solid.

1 minute ago, big2033 said:

It's just that you guys have a fondness for him as a Titan. Which is nice. But our love for a Titan doesn't equate to on-the-field value. He's solid. And a good Titan.

And please, PLEASE don't get into "Mariota did this once" scenarios with him. I don't want to go down that road again.

You don't throw the ball to Davis trusting he makes a play like you would a DeAndre Hopkins or even a Tyreek Hill. You throw it to him when he gets open and yeah he'll make the catch and move the chains. Great!

But hey, if he starts putting these starts together consistently I'll gladly say he's improved. But this game isn't an indicator. He's projected for 843 receiving yards this year. Solid.

This schtick is so tired, especially when you try to apply it to posters who clearly don't operate with this mindset. Davis is a good not great player hampered by injuries. Could he be a #1 somewhere else? maybe. Is he an average Wr who can't make plays like you are insinuating? Not at all

2 minutes ago, big2033 said:

He is projected for over 1200 yards if u average his numbers over 16 games

1 minute ago, big2033 said:

Taywan Taylor was a Titan too and when I saw that he sucked I said it. Davis being a Titan has nothing to do with. I legitimately believe he's better than you think and capable of being a team's #1. He's not DeAndre or Tyreek but he doesn't have to be to be very good player. It's inaccurate to say Corey Davis never makes big plays when he's made plenty of them. Has he made as many big plays as AJ? No. But he's certainly made enough to see what kind of player he can be when targeted. 

Just now, oldschool said:

This schtick is so tired, especially when you try to apply it to posters who clearly don't operate with this mindset. Davis is a good not great player hampered by injuries. Could he be a #1 somewhere else? maybe. Is he an average Wr who can't make plays like you are insinuating? Not at all

I'm not sure why you're arguing with me then. You've pointed out what I've been saying I'm just not laying homer praise. I'm being unbiased.

He just hasn't done what Brown has done and he's been here longer. Period. Brown is what you expect from a WR1. Not just make catches. But make plays consistently.

Brown is a playemaker. Davis is a receiver.

2 minutes ago, oldschool said:

I know. The "everyone is a homer but me" thing is washed. 

2 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Taywan Taylor was a Titan too and when I saw that he sucked I said it. Davis being a Titan has nothing to do with. I legitimately believe he's better than you think and capable of being a team's #1. He's not DeAndre or Tyreek but he doesn't have to be to be very good player. It's inaccurate to say Corey Davis never makes big plays when he's made plenty of them. Has he made as many big plays as AJ? No. But he's certainly made enough to see what kind of player he can be when targeted. 

So he's a starter. You know what he is I just don't think you like the label.

Edited by big2033