No1TitansFan

Corey Davis Never Seems to Make the Big Play

Is it just me, I actually like the guy and his demeanor, but Corey never seems to make the big. slightly out of comfort range play that sets apart the great receivers. The tipped ball to Humphries seemed to me to me the penultimate of his time here, a good effort that he couldn't seem to finish somehow. 

Honestly regarding the throw to Davis at the end to the end zone, sure we were hoping for a TD, but I also believe Tanny threw it up there with hopes of getting a PI call in the end zone. That would’ve put us on the 1. 

it has to be mental with Davis. he has all the physical tools but doesn't have the same mentality Brown does that the ball is his when it's in the air. I like David but he was clearly overdrafted and probably just needs a fresh start somewhere. It wouldn't surprise me if he does much better on another team.

Davis obviously hasn’t lived up to his draft position or developed into the #1 WR the team hoped for, which led them to decline his 5th year option.   

I think they like him as a reasonably solid #2 option, but he’s replaceable;  there are several other guys who will be bigger priorities this offseason.   I imagine they’ll let him test free agency to determine his market value and make a decision from there. 

I’m not sure what happened the rest of the game, but that final pass to the corner from Tannehill was just a bit too long. Seems like Tannehill stares AJ Brown down in big spots (justifiably). 

Just now, Thrill said:

I’m not sure what happened the rest of the game, but that final pass to the corner from Tannehill was just a bit too long. Seems like Tannehill stares AJ Brown down in big spots (justifiably). 

I think Tannehill was trying to put the ball where only Davis could get it and not risk the interception but you have to give your guy a chance to catch it in bounds. Its also possible Davis draws the DPI there as the DB was beat. The decision was fine imo but it was a poor throw.

14 minutes ago, oldschool said:

I think Tannehill was trying to put the ball where only Davis could get it and not risk the interception but you have to give your guy a chance to catch it in bounds. Its also possible Davis draws the DPI there as the DB was beat. The decision was fine imo but it was a poor throw.

I would love to see if the middle of the field was open. We had that timeout. 

Hindsight, they probably should have just taken the checkdown. 

That grounding play really put us in a 2nd and 20, we are probably gonna have to kick a FG situation. I think I would have liked to be a little less aggressive there. 

I didn’t mind the decision to throw to Davis.  You’re in striking distance and time is winding down....try to slam the door and end the game in one play. It’s aggressive...but aggressive moves are what makes this offense so effective.   They just don’t always work out.

Tannehill only missed him by a step or two;  if that throw is just slightly better, we’re probably having a very different conversation today and nobody is complaining a bit about the play call.

14 minutes ago, nine said:

I didn’t mind the decision to throw to Davis.  You’re in striking distance and time is winding down....try to slam the door and end the game in one play. It’s aggressive...but aggressive moves are what makes this offense so effective.   They just don’t always work out.

Tannehill only missed him by a step or two;  if that throw is just slightly better, we’re probably having a very different conversation today and nobody is complaining a bit about the play call.

I was fine with the play call, the throw was off as it didn't give Davis a chance to make a play. I'm not going to Kill Tannehill for it though, they wouldn't have been down there without him.

I hope they resign him for a reasonable number (unlikely they resign him at all). I think he can be a very good number 2 to AJ, not sure you will get a better number 2 or where they would come from. He was very good pre covid even without AJ to draw attention from. 

he won’t live up to his draft slot but he is good. I really like our top 3 right now with AJ, Corey, and Adam. Hope they can keep them together for a while. 

If the salary cap drops to $170-180M next year as some are speculating....a ton of teams will be forced to dump some a lot of big salaries, which means a lot of high-profile talent could be available.

And with virtually every team in a cap squeeze, there just won’t be very much money to go around....salaries won’t be anywhere close to what we’re used to seeing for Tier I talent .

This will have a trickle down effect on guys like Davis.   Why pay a guy like Davis $6-7M if you can get a Julio Jones or an Amari Cooper for $8-10M?    It will be a horrible development  for the players... but it will be very interesting for fans.