Week 7: Steelers @ Titans Game Thread

Jonboy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The kicker has to be cut. You can't be 5/11 on kicks under 50 yards. 

Probably the toughest match up the Titans will have in the regular season. It sucked early but they came so close it's hard to get too down.    They have to fix the CB situation, it's obviou

Sambrailo pitched a shutout on Dupree. Not just zero sacks, zero stats.

Posted Images

Just now, japan said:

Every screen that they ran was blown up for a loss.

Yep. They should have tried some TE and WR screens. Even some little toss outs to Humphries in the flat with Davis or Brown blocking would have worked. We needed more quick passing and more 11 personnel under center, which would have kept them off-balance guessing it could still be a run. 

It was overall a pretty poor game plan that the team almost overcame. 

9 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Henry was terrible in pass pro in this game

Thats a player issue not a scheme issue 

I noticed the play Aussie showed where Davis hits the in route wide open that Henry hits Kelly and knocks him off balance, which let Watt come inside for the sack. He’s just so damn big lol. He needs to play that type of help almost a step back from the tackle and not try to chip the DE. 

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Listened to Warren Sharp talk about this game and he discussed one of my complaints.....

The Titans ran the ball on 1st down in the first half the majority of the time. The Titans had 3 3 and outs and Tanneill overcome poor first down runs on the TD drive. 

This isn't difficult. The Steelers are an elite run defense on 1st down, the Titans are not a good running team on 1st down. 

1st down runs in the 1st half:

holding penalty now 1st and 15

-4 yard

6 yards

3 yards

2 yards

0 gain

-4 yards

6 runs for 3 yards. 

This is flat out stupid and a huge coaching error. You have one of the best QBs in the league. RT had a 117 passer rating on 1st down last year, best or close in the league. 

You are literally leaning on an offensive weakness against an elite defense vs your weakness while saddling your elite 1st down passer. 

I don't think Vrabel will ever change it either 

Seattle finally figured it out.

I tried to find it, but someone posted a chart the other day showing how much they're passing now. The Titans were on the complete opposite side of the chart and all the teams in the area had bad QBs.

Anyone remember the chart I'm talking about? It may have been @Titans279 that posted it.

I'm going to try and take a glass half full approach here. Despite how bad they whooped us in the first half and our defense again being abysmal on third down, the fact that we were a missed field goal away from OT says a lot about the heart of the team. The Steelers aren't a pushover and we'll definitely see that when they clash with Baltimore on Sunday but overall if we clean some things up there's no reason why if we play them again we can't come away with a W. Then again, I've been hoping see our D make a turn around for weeks now.

It's a fair criticism that the Titans run far too much on 1st down.  On par with Baltimore and Cleveland.  It needs to be at least 50/50 and it's more like 2/3's run to pass.  The success rate is also higher for pass versus run but in fairness the 1st down run game has a 52% success rate so far - better than I had expected.

Of course, having Derrick Henry as your lead back is part of this.  This is the trade off if you want your two down back to get carries/yards......

Edited by BudAdams

1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

Seattle finally figured it out.

I tried to find it, but someone posted a chart the other day showing how much they're passing now. The Titans were on the complete opposite side of the chart and all the teams in the area had bad QBs.

Anyone remember the chart I'm talking about? It may have been @Titans279 that posted it.

Pass rate above/below expectation

The irony is that pass happy Seattle ran on 3rd and 2 when a 1st down would have iced the game in regulation.  Their rookie guard missed the line call, went left instead of right, and blocked his center while the tackler had a clean hit on the RB.

1 hour ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I noticed the play Aussie showed where Davis hits the in route wide open that Henry hits Kelly and knocks him off balance, which let Watt come inside for the sack. He’s just so damn big lol. He needs to play that type of help almost a step back from the tackle and not try to chip the DE. 

That play was identical to the one people posted last week to make fun of Conklin. The back's chip actually made it way more difficult to block Watt. If I didn't know better I would think the Steelers somehow do this intentionally.

2 hours ago, BudAdams said:

Of course, having Derrick Henry as your lead back is part of this.  This is the trade off if you want your two down back to get carries/yards......

I think McNichols should play more in the first half and on 1st down 

Pretending Henry is an all around RB good in the passing game and blocking doesn’t make it so 

7 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Listened to Warren Sharp talk about this game and he discussed one of my complaints.....

The Titans ran the ball on 1st down in the first half the majority of the time. The Titans had 3 3 and outs and Tanneill overcome poor first down runs on the TD drive. 

This isn't difficult. The Steelers are an elite run defense on 1st down, the Titans are not a good running team on 1st down. 

1st down runs in the 1st half:

holding penalty now 1st and 15

-4 yard

6 yards

3 yards

2 yards

0 gain

-4 yards

6 runs for 3 yards. 

This is flat out stupid and a huge coaching error. You have one of the best QBs in the league. RT had a 117 passer rating on 1st down last year, best or close in the league. 

You are literally leaning on an offensive weakness against an elite defense vs your weakness while saddling your elite 1st down passer. 

I don't think Vrabel will ever change it either 

It is what it is, at this point.  Are they good enough to overcome this and win the Super Bowl (assuming the defense improves)?  I'd say yes.  You live with it and Vrabel's other positive coaching traits balance this out, I guess.

24 minutes ago, rns90 said:

It is what it is, at this point.  Are they good enough to overcome this and win the Super Bowl (assuming the defense improves)?  I'd say yes.  You live with it and Vrabel's other positive coaching traits balance this out, I guess.

Id agree