Poor Cian

Jonboy

8 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

As last year started you posted you hoped Mariota would blow up to stick it to us. 

I’m not going to rehash it because it’s been gone over numerous times. You’ve also lost a bet because Dion Lewis couldn’t beat out DHen on touches. 

The point is we are all wrong at some point or another. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They can’t all be president at once...

This guy...      

My take:   Scine sucks at evaluating QBs. Even so he's a good poster   BudAdams is a total douchbag even if his football takes are pretty good   Mariota fooled alot of pe

20 hours ago, scine09 said:

The only thing I said about the guy is he studies it for his job and literally only looks at QB film.  That was my point the whole time.  

The problem is before he started doing it he had never even seen a game live.

He was the ultimate armchair nerd who just built some number in the analytics era.

Edited by big2033

2 hours ago, big2033 said:

The problem is before he started doing it he had never even seen a game live.

He was the ultimate armchair nerd who just built some number in the analytics era.

I don’t know much about him.  What’s

his background in all of this?  He must have some to have gotten to where he did.

Edited by scine09

3 minutes ago, scine09 said:

I don’t know much about him.  Whats

his background in all of this.  He must have some to have gotten to where he did.

Heard an interview where he said he had never seen a game live but watched a lot of games and came up with some of his own analytics in the growing analytics era then starting publishing.

Sites/Teams got interested and here we are. Seems like he's had a slow descent while others have managed to stay relevant though . It seems like it's because he's extremely arrogant and hot headed. Can't face it when he's wrong and has blocked 90% of Twitter. 

@scine09 here's a message from Reddit for context.

"Fahey got fired/left espn for having a meltdown at a bar (that's all he said about the matter) also his tweets over time have suggested that he's wrong about a ton of critical things"

5 minutes ago, big2033 said:

@scine09 here's a message from Reddit for context.

"Fahey got fired/left espn for having a meltdown at a bar (that's all he said about the matter) also his tweets over time have suggested that he's wrong about a ton of critical things"

He seems to have real thin skin.

Fahey covered a few teams for some small Irish site 10 years ago and parlayed that into his own blog. He continued to work on his brand and ended up writing for football outsiders and then got hired by ESPN. ESPN fired him in 2018 although he was asked to resign to keep some shred of his dignity...

I think the above covers it. As I said hes always been a crackpot and guys like him are why some give advanced statistics a wide berth or don't trust them at all. He is the perfect example of someone misusing stats to craft a pre-constructed narrative rather than allowing the data to take you where it leads. He also doesn't understand stats without contexts are worthless. He's done more to halt the adoption of analytics than anyone I can think of.

Edited by oldschool

3 hours ago, Justafan said:

I'll admit I took too long to completely give up on Mariota.  I kept hoping that the 8 game streak wasn't just a fluke even though the evidence was staring me in the face.  It seems so obvious in hindsight.  It's easy to be blinded by fandom.

It was pretty obvious the first time we watched Ryan Tannehill in the same system.  I still held out a modicum of hope until the first Browns game that somehow the light would turn back on.  He was horrible though.  Even though the team won, Mariota was just too bad to deny any longer.  Probably should have given up on him completely about a year earlier than I did actually.  I had serious doubts in 2018 that he could be the guy but the fan in me just held out hope and them making it to the playoffs made it easy to justify but then when you saw them against the Patriots you just knew they would never be able to compete against the elite teams as long as Mariota was playing the way he was.

You go back and look at the stats or watch the games now and it's just painfully obvious.  He was done at the end of 2017 and it just took a long time for fans to finally give up on a guy they had invested their hopes in.  

Quitter.

17 minutes ago, scine09 said:

He seems to have real thin skin.

100% that seemed like his main problem. A guy who didn't even live in America was arrogant and thin-skinned about his analytics and QB study. It got him far but the wheels started to fall off when he couldn't let go of his mistakes.

1 hour ago, StephenIsLegend said:

I’m not going to rehash it because it’s been gone over numerous times. You’ve also lost a bet because Dion Lewis couldn’t beat out DHen on touches. 

The point is we are all wrong at some point or another. 

The point isn't right or wrong

The point is people are crying about bud constantly bringing up Mariota or trying to stick it to people when you openly posted you were hoping to stick it to people

18 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Fahey covered a few teams for some small Irish site 10 years ago and parlayed that into his own blog. He continued to work on his brand and ended up writing for football outsiders and then got hired by ESPN. ESPN fired him in 2018 although he was asked to resign to keep some shred of his dignity...

I think the above covers it. As I said hes always been a crackpot and guys like him are why some give advanced statistics a wide berth or don't trust them at all. He is the perfect example of someone misusing stats to craft a pre-constructed narrative rather than allowing the data to take you where it leads. He also doesn't understand stats without contexts are worthless. He's done more to halt the adoption of analytics than anyone I can think of.

I'd argue he doesn't use stats as much as he tries to watch film and use his own analysis from the film study. 

Imagine being so stubborn or stupid that you still maintain Mariota an elite QB. 

19 minutes ago, oldschool said:

100% out of all the analytics guys he was the worst at context. 

13 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I'd argue he doesn't use stats as much as he tries to watch film and use his own analysis from the film study. 

Imagine being so stubborn or stupid that you still maintain Mariota an elite QB. 

He does use stats when it suits him - like the infamous Mariota is the best QB in obvious passing situations one that titanruss crowed about.  Never mind that the stat was passer rating only and didn't consider 3rd down conversion rate or sacks, which of course dropped Mariota way down.  Think the Texans game where he had a perfect passer rating but they converted something like 2 of 10 on 3rd down pass plays.....

Just to illustrate how dumb he is, check out what he wrote this offseason prior to the 2020 season......Note the Titans in 2019 had the most explosive offense and 2nd highest scoring offense after RT took over and RT led the league in all of the efficiency metrics - at a HISTORIC level.  And they are doing it again this year.....LOL

Tannehill's success probably isn't sustainable. Arthur Smith's offence isn't that far a departure from Mike Mularkey's offence that preceded it. Schematically, it's run-oriented. It doesn't scheme open receivers or create easy offence for the quarterback. Marcus Mariota played very well for most of his career in Tennessee. But he was worn down. The expectation to make high-end plays at a much higher rate than his peers made it impossible to sustain success.

Efficiency is what wins in the NFL. You can't be like Jameis Winston, racking up touchdowns and yards while making mistake after mistake. Andy Reid and Kyle Shanahan create easy plays for their quarterbacks so they can be efficient. That's how you consistently win with different quarterbacks.

Basically, Arthur Smith asks his quarterbacks to write a thesis on nuclear fusion while expecting them to keep up with quarterbacks doing basic arithmetic.

Being behind the down-and-distance means the running game is less of a factor. Play action isn't as impactful and the defence can abandon gaps in the running game to execute complex blitzes. It forces the quarterback to think and act quicker while making him more likely to throw an interception or take a sack.

Even quarterbacks who thrive in those scenarios can't do it often enough to keep pace with their counterparts in better offences. Mariota was the best quarterback in those scenarios during the 2018 season.

Tannehill elevated everyone in Tennessee last season. He covered for an offence that lacked dynamism and explosiveness. He re-established himself as one of the better quarterbacks int he NFL and he's worth more than the contract he was given this offseason. But that doesn't mean the Titans' success as a team with him from last season is sustainable.

I'd add that it's hysterical that Scine claims ignorance about Fahey when he flat out defended him back in 2019 when we were all bringing up how bad Cian was.   All he does is watch QB play!  Give me a fucking break.

Edited by BudAdams