Sign in to follow this  
Supdawg

How JROB Built the Titans - Twitter Thread

Saw this kind of obscure tweet, which I thought was pretty dang good. The guy attempts to classify drafted players into 6 tiers. And then goes about ranking each player in each draft. He even "giggles" and throws in Webster's and Reinfeldt's drafts LOL

Pretty interesting take. One of the things I think get's lost in the media particularly about our recent success is just how talented we are. 

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

I will point out so far this season the early draft picks and free agent signings have either done nothing or underperformed. 

I said it a few months ago and I'll say it again:  I firmly believe the 2020 draft class will be the least impactful rookie class ever.   Not just for the Titans, but across the entire league.

This year's rookie class basically had 4 weeks to prepare and adapt to the NFL.  Zero OTAs or offseason workouts....zero preseason games.   Most of them met their new coaches and teammates for the first time in August.

The league will always have rookies who have an immediate impact and turn into great players.     But when we look back a few years from now and compare the 2020 draft class to other drafts before and after.....I think we'll find that 2020 produced a much smaller percentage of players who were ready in year one, and much larger percentage who needed a year or two to develop.

33 minutes ago, japan said:

Safe to say that coaching might have been the problem with Jarad Cook. 

He couldn't get on the field because he couldn't block. Was the most frustrating shit because we saw what he could do as a receiver. If he's only good at receiving, let him do it! 

There have been many posts on here about how horrid the Webster drafts were (and Webster/Beddingfield were running this part of the organization when Reinfeldt was here sans Fisher too).  You'd be hard pressed to do worse if you tried.  They literally were incompetent at their jobs.  Thank God that Amy cleaned house and enabled the current regime to prosper.

Robinson has done a fantastic job overall.  Now, because the cupboard was so bare aside from a handful of guys (Casey, Lewan, Walker), it was pretty easy to jump up from awful to average and we saw that happen with a good GM and improved coaching - yes Mularkey was a big upgrade over Whisenhunt and Vrabel has been a bigger upgrade over Mularkey.  We've seen them go from decent to good and now legitimate contenders but we're also seeing a different phase of team building - maintaining a SB contending team for the long haul. 

This year was the first year where the team had to make hard decisions and see actually good players leave in FA.  Choices had to be made and overall JRob IMO knocked it out of the part in terms of who to pay/keep and who to let walk.  Now, Beasley and Clowney to date do not look like great acquisitions but it's only 5 games in......Joseph was a contingency signing and he's what I expected - smart vet who's a liability in coverage.

The draft - same thing but honestly I think the picks were far more about 2021-2023 than 2020 based on how many starting jobs were open.  We've seen Fulton flash and he'll likely improve with more PT.  Sure, Wilson has done nothing but make the news off the field but that's why they hedged and paid Kelly, who has solid at RT.

2 hours ago, TeamRamrod said:

It’s the Blasingames, Firksers, Pruitts, and Raymonds that have impressed me most. 

This is definitely where the GM earns a lot of his money---mid to late rounds and UDFA's.  The unheralded meat and potatoes of the team.

59 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

There have been many posts on here about how horrid the Webster drafts were (and Webster/Beddingfield were running this part of the organization when Reinfeldt was here sans Fisher too).  You'd be hard pressed to do worse if you tried.  They literally were incompetent at their jobs.  Thank God that Amy cleaned house and enabled the current regime to prosper.

Robinson has done a fantastic job overall.  Now, because the cupboard was so bare aside from a handful of guys (Casey, Lewan, Walker), it was pretty easy to jump up from awful to average and we saw that happen with a good GM and improved coaching - yes Mularkey was a big upgrade over Whisenhunt and Vrabel has been a bigger upgrade over Mularkey.  We've seen them go from decent to good and now legitimate contenders but we're also seeing a different phase of team building - maintaining a SB contending team for the long haul. 

This year was the first year where the team had to make hard decisions and see actually good players leave in FA.  Choices had to be made and overall JRob IMO knocked it out of the part in terms of who to pay/keep and who to let walk.  Now, Beasley and Clowney to date do not look like great acquisitions but it's only 5 games in......Joseph was a contingency signing and he's what I expected - smart vet who's a liability in coverage.

The draft - same thing but honestly I think the picks were far more about 2021-2023 than 2020 based on how many starting jobs were open.  We've seen Fulton flash and he'll likely improve with more PT.  Sure, Wilson has done nothing but make the news off the field but that's why they hedged and paid Kelly, who has solid at RT.

About as good of a take as there is. You nailed it. 

Definitely want to echo the sentiment of us being five games in and expect to see improvement from Beasley/Clowney over time. I see too many fans (mostly casual) already abandoning ship with those acquisitions. 

I think Mariota's grade is too high considering how he sucked and the franchise wasted so much time on him.  Also think the Nate Davis grade should be bumped up to solid starter.

13 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

Interesting that five of our 5-6's ranked are from Rounds 2 and 3. Wonder what that implies? All of our costly trade-ups are 4s. Ready for bear!

Is this guy a robot? Or a loon?