Thought on Steelers match up

OILERMAN

Yeah, it will be interesting for sure to see how this games plays out. If I had to guess we are going to a run heavy game plan. Sambrailo is clearly a better run blocker than pass protector and this isn't the game we want to do a lot of pass protection in longer pass plays. Obviously will need to mix it up. 

I think it's a good that that the Steelers are coming off an easy win against the Browns last week and have to play the Ravens next week. I believe there is a chance for them to not to play as well as they could due to those circumstances. 

Im interested to see if the Steelers still try to blitz heavy on early downs this week. Right now they are blitzing the most on early downs in the NFL at 55%. Their signal caller MLB Devin Bush was knocked out for the season last week and their main Swiss Army knife in the blitz package Mike Hilton hurt his arm and hasn’t practiced all week so far. Add in the fact that if Henry gets to the second level he is likely gone and IIRC Tannehill is currently the best QB in the NFL against the blitz... I can see them playing a somewhat less aggressive early down defense this week. I think it’s more likely they alter their defense to try and stop our offense. Them having a completely new starting play caller at MLB could be huge for us. Bush previously played 100% of the snaps and a lot of fans and analysts seem concerned about how he will be replaced.

4 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

Im interested to see if the Steelers still try to blitz heavy on early downs this week. Right now they are blitzing the most on early downs in the NFL at 55%. Their signal caller MLB Devin Bush was knocked out for the season last week and their main Swiss Army knife in the blitz package Mike Hilton hurt his arm and hasn’t practiced all week so far. Add in the fact that if Henry gets to the second level he is likely gone and IIRC Tannehill is currently the best QB in the NFL against the blitz... I can see them playing a somewhat less aggressive early down defense this week. I think it’s more likely they alter their defense to try and stop our offense. Them having a completely new starting play caller at MLB could be huge for us. Bush previously played 100% of the snaps and a lot of fans and analysts seem concerned about how he will be replaced.

Hilton is a huge loss, he was likely the NFL's best slot CB. 

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

I think the big question is how the Titans are going to attack the Steelers defense. My first thoughts are if they try and go run heavy and use playaction against this defense it could go poorly. I might remind people a few years ago in preseason the Steelers did a great job rushing and blitzing the Titans playaction sets and really disrupting the QB drop backs. I saw some cut ups last week where the Steelers were doing the same thing vs the playaction heavy Browns and blew it up. The Steelers blitz the most on 1st and 2nd down so it plays right into what I'm saying. 

I think there are a few options. The Titans can play more 3 WR sets and exploit the Steelers injuries at their slot CB and let Tanny attack with a short quick passing game and nulify the Steelers pass rush. Maybe even mix in a lot of McNichols to use his speed through the hole vs Henry who needs better blocking. I also expect a lot of screens on passing situations. 

The other option is to play a lot of 2 and 3 TE sets, pound the ball and throw to the TEs, max protect and take more shots. Force Henry into a 30 carry 100 yard grinder.

Of course there is also the thought that the Titans have scored 30+ points in almost all of Tannehill's starts, they beat every AFC playoff team in this stretch and it's the Steelers who have to figure out how to stop the Titans juggernaut offense and we're doing what we do. 

That was with a retard at QB. I saw a stat last week where good QBs are shredding the blitz this year at an historic rate. I think the Titans should play their own game like they have te last couple weeks. They've been throwing more on 1st down it seems and throwing more in general. The Steelers secondary is helped big time by the pass rush so there's opportunities there

I think it depends on how their defense adjusts without their slot CB and Bush. If they decide to keep blitzing over 50% then yeah I like the idea of more quick passes and getting Humphries more involved in early downs. If they decide to go more conservative because of the losses then run our regular sets until they revert back to what they know. 

I also fully expect Tannehill to want a redo on that deep post to Raymond. If he puts that out over the wide open field it’s a TD. Raymond had Roby beat. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

30 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I think it depends on how their defense adjusts without their slot CB and Bush. If they decide to keep blitzing over 50% then yeah I like the idea of more quick passes and getting Humphries more involved in early downs. If they decide to go more conservative because of the losses then run our regular sets until they revert back to what they know. 

I also fully expect Tannehill to want a redo on that deep post to Raymond. If he puts that out over the wide open field it’s a TD. Raymond had Roby beat. 

Nah, Raymond falls down any time he catches a pass with anyone within 5 yards of him.  Would have been a big gain but certainly not a TD.

McNichols needs to be featured. He’s fast as hell and can navigate holes very well. 

Firkser. If they’re too stupid to shut him down, let him light them up. Thats what he does and we all know it. The talking heads have never heard of him. That’s a good thing. 

Same with Pruitt. Who? Yeah. 

If Jonnu comes back, they’re fucked. 

AJ. Enough said. 

Where is Davis? We could use his amazing sideline hands. 

Humphries. Whenever he’s needed, he’s the man. 

I want Jeffery Simmons to kill and maim. That’s a small task for him. He is the heart of the D. He never gives up. Never stops. None of the talking heads mention him either. 

I want more defensive stunts. Cross them outside in. Clowney is a clown on the outside. He just doesn’t care. Put him in a position to care. 

Somebody tell Byard to shit can that red sleeve. Where’s the safety? Oh yeah, he’s the one with the bright red sleeve. Vrabel should have shut that shit down already. Sticks out like a sore thumb. 

That’s it. Not great commentary but it’s all I’ve got. 

Go Titans. 

1 hour ago, Bongo59 said:

you spread them  Pitts has always had trouble with the spread.  Tanny needs to get 4 first downs with his legs and Pitts D can be had.  Vrabel knows how Bellicheck beat them constantly.  

I expect the Titans to come out in heavy and then spread them at the line to keep the nickel defense off of the field and create a mismatch with a Lb. They have done that a lot this year.