Don’t Tell Derrick Henry That Running Backs Don’t Matter(538)

OILERMAN

23 minutes ago, TampaTitan said:

Was also our 4th straight road game with must win implications dating back to the Houston game. The guys were all tired and you could tell. It would have been an incredible giant slaying run to the SB had we pulled it off. 

I'm pretty sure DH was hurting a little. Crazy amount of carries the 3 prior games. He was supposed to be having hamstring issues at the end of the year that kept lingering though you couldnt tell with his production. He did get caught from behind a couple of times in the Ravens game that never happened during the season.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You mean to tell me the Titans currently have a dominant QB and a dominant RB? Not to mention a dominant WR and dominant TE when healthy?   What a time to be alive.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/dont-tell-derrick-henry-that-running-backs-dont-matter/   In fact, we are unexpectedly witnessing one of the best performances ever by a RB in back-to-ba

I posted in another thread, I think there is a realistic chance Henry gets 2000 yards

Posted Images

Henry will obviously be a focal point of the Steelers' defensive gameplan this week.

But lest we forget... last year against the Buccaneers' #1-ranked rushing defense , Henry had 16 attempts for 75 yards (4.7 yds/carry)  and would have gone for 125+  if not for a freak fumble where his own knee knocked the ball loose just as he broke free for what would have been a 50+ yard TD.

Against a dominant run defense that averaged 3.3 yards/carry and hadn't allowed a run longer than 16 yards all season, Henry had runs of 35 and 18 yards and had a long 42-yard run nullified by penalty.    

Henry will have his work cut out for him this week, no doubt.   

But then again, so do the Steelers.

6 hours ago, Jonboy said:

You mean to tell me the Titans currently have a dominant QB and a dominant RB? Not to mention a dominant WR and dominant TE when healthy?

What a time to be alive.

I never thought a day would come where I see my Titans scoring 30 plus points every Sunday with ease.

Loving it.

8 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I posted in another thread, I think there is a realistic chance Henry gets 2000 yards

Im good with that if we can keep his carries under 350-375. Right now he's on pace for close to 400 carries. I don't want to force feed him ala CJ2k just to get numbers. 

2 minutes ago, Supdawg said:

Im good with that if we can keep his carries under 350-375. Right now he's on pace for close to 400 carries. I don't want to force feed him ala CJ2k just to get numbers. 

The days of people like Jamal pretending they care how many carries the RB gets from the coach are over. 

They are gonna ride Henry into the ground, accept it. 

8 hours ago, Oiler FANatic said:

He's not quite on pace for 2000, but he definitely could have the 22nd 1800-yard rushing season in NFL history.

Which would also be the 3rd in team history after Campbell's 1934 yards and Johnson's 2006 yards. Interesting fact: Earl Campbell is the only RB to ever rush for 1900 yards without eclipsing the 2000-yard mark. Back in 1980 his 1934 yards rushing was the 2nd highest total ever after OJ's 2003 yards seven years earlier.

For what it’s worth, Henry heats up in the end of the season and he currently has 100ish more yards than any other 2k back had after 5 games. 

7 hours ago, dcblanton said:

Derrick Henry is a beast of a man.  The question will be, as the season progresses and he gets this much use, does he wear out before the playoffs.

I have no doubt that the Chiefs holding him to less than 100 yards was partly because the Chiefs knew that stopping Henry was more important than stopping Tannehill and partly because Henry had been used a lot last year.

Henry is still only human.  

The Chiefs held Henry to less than 100 yards by scoring touchdowns and stopping Tannehill.  Once Mahomes got going on the second half and the defense got a couple stops, Henry was out of the game plan.

You don't even know your own team, man.

9 hours ago, Oiler FANatic said:

He's not quite on pace for 2000, but he definitely could have the 22nd 1800-yard rushing season in NFL history.

Which would also be the 3rd in team history after Campbell's 1934 yards and Johnson's 2006 yards. Interesting fact: Earl Campbell is the only RB to ever rush for 1900 yards without eclipsing the 2000-yard mark. Back in 1980 his 1934 yards rushing was the 2nd highest total ever after OJ's 2003 yards seven years earlier.

Oh what could have been if Campbell had stayed healthy all 16 games in 1980.   He missed 1 game and the majority of 2 others that year, all against bad teams.   Campbell had four 200 yard games that season.

9 hours ago, nine said:

Henry will obviously be a focal point of the Steelers' defensive gameplan this week.

Henry will have his work cut out for him this week, no doubt. But then again, so do the Steelers.

Henry is always the focal point of any defensive game plan against the Titans. Not Tannehill.

7 hours ago, patsplat said:

The Chiefs held Henry to less than 100 yards by scoring touchdowns and stopping Tannehill.  Once Mahomes got going on the second half and the defense got a couple stops, Henry was out of the game plan.

You don't even know your own team, man.

Henry averaged 3.6 yards for the game.   He was more effective in the first half when he averaged 3.9 yards per carry.

In the second half, he averaged 1.75 yards per carry.   He had two catches for minus 8 yards. 

So, fourth possession.... Henry for 1 yard, Henry for no gain, Tannehill pass for 6 yards.  Punt

Fifth possession (first one in the second half)  1st and ten, Henry for 3 yards.  few plays later:  Henry for 4 yards.  Henry for no gain.  Henry for No gain.   (holding penalty as well)  Tannehill scrambles for six yards.  Punt.

Sixth possession.  Tannehill scrambles for 15.  Tannehill passes to Henry for two yard loss.  Tannehill five yard completion.  Tannehill sacked for 8 yard loss.  Punt.

Seventh Possession.  Tannehill passes to Henry for an 6 yard loss.  Titans got the Chiefs with a fake punt at this point, and cashed for a TD on that drive.  So, with a fake punt to convert a fourth down, the Titans were able to make it a 11 point loss rather than 18.  So, at least it looks a little less bad in the history books.

They didn't go away from Henry.  Henry became ineffective.  Henry had some success early, but the Chiefs keyed on him and dared RT to beat them because they knew he couldn't.  (and he didn't)

They even tried to get him the ball in space because the Chiefs were dominating the line of scrimmage and he lost 2 yards, and then lost six yards.

Henry was ineffective.  Vrabel wouldn't have gone away from him if not.  The Chiefs were not the Ravens.  He got a couple of runs early, but once the Chiefs made adjustments, his longest run was 4 yards.  And, that was right before two runs for no gain. and no gain with a hold.

Henry is great.  Henry also will wear down by the end of the year like he did last year.

2 minutes ago, dcblanton said:

Henry averaged 3.6 yards for the game.   He was more effective in the first half when he averaged 3.9 yards per carry.

In the second half, he averaged 1.75 yards per carry.   He had two catches for minus 8 yards. 

So, fourth possession.... Henry for 1 yard, Henry for no gain, Tannehill pass for 6 yards.  Punt

Fifth possession (first one in the second half)  1st and ten, Henry for 3 yards.  few plays later:  Henry for 4 yards.  Henry for no gain.  Henry for No gain.   (holding penalty as well)  Tannehill scrambles for six yards.  Punt.

Sixth possession.  Tannehill scrambles for 15.  Tannehill passes to Henry for two yard loss.  Tannehill five yard completion.  Tannehill sacked for 8 yard loss.  Punt.

Seventh Possession.  Tannehill passes to Henry for an 6 yard loss.  Titans got the Chiefs with a fake punt at this point, and cashed for a TD on that drive.  So, with a fake punt to convert a fourth down, the Titans were able to make it a 11 point loss rather than 18.  So, at least it looks a little less bad in the history books.

They didn't go away from Henry.  Henry became ineffective.  Henry had some success early, but the Chiefs keyed on him and dared RT to beat them because they knew he couldn't.  (and he didn't)

They even tried to get him the ball in space because the Chiefs were dominating the line of scrimmage and he lost 2 yards, and then lost six yards.

Henry was ineffective.  Vrabel wouldn't have gone away from him if not.  The Chiefs were not the Ravens.  He got a couple of runs early, but once the Chiefs made adjustments, his longest run was 4 yards.  And, that was right before two runs for no gain. and no gain with a hold.

Henry is great.  Henry also will wear down by the end of the year like he did last year.

You've got this backwards.  Those Henry lines aren't atypical of a lot of Titans TD drives.  Titans were running the ball to shorten the game not to get first down yardage.  The difference is whether Tannehill makes the play to convert.   

Yes the Chiefs pass defense came on strong.  Adding Terrell Suggs made a huge difference.  The pass defense is what you should be proud of, because that plus the effectiveness of Mahomes is what makes the Chiefs dominate.

12 hours ago, titanruss said:

I'm pretty sure DH was hurting a little. Crazy amount of carries the 3 prior games. He was supposed to be having hamstring issues at the end of the year that kept lingering though you couldnt tell with his production. He did get caught from behind a couple of times in the Ravens game that never happened during the season.

This was pretty much my point.  He got banged up and worn down over the season because the Titans had to ride him to have a shot at winning.

At this point last year, he had 98 carries and 5 catches.  

He has 123 carries this year and 15 receptions. 

He missed the Saints game last year.  

Last year, he was over 300 carries for the first time in his career.  He is currently on pace for 491 carries.  And, 48 receptions.

The most carries ever in a season were 416 by Larry Johnson in 2006.  They year after, he struggle with injuries and played in half the season and had 559 yards.  He never played a full season again or broke 1000 yards again.

Jamal Anderson had 410 carries in 1998.  He blew his knew out in 1999.

James wilder had 407 carries in 1984 and then came back in 1985 and played all 16 games with 365 carries.  The only two years he broke 1000 yards.

Eric Dickerson had 404 carries in 1986.  The next two years he played a total of 12 games.  He did manage to play 16 in 1988.   That was the last year he played all 16 games with a full workload

IN 1985 Gerald Riggs got 397 carries.  He got a full workload the following year and played all sixteen games.  After that, he never played a full season again.

In 1998 Terrell Davis had 392 carries.  In 1999 he blew out his knee.

In 2014, Demarco Murry had 392 carries.  He had 702 yards the following season in 15 games.  And, topped 1000 yards only once after.

In 2003, Ricky Williams had 392 carries.  He still went on to have a productive career after that, but never had even another season with 250 carries.

In fact, in the history of the NFL, I think Eric Dickerson was the only guy that was able to have the durability to have four seasons in the top 20 highest carry seasons of all time.  Most make the list once, or twice if they are lucky.  No one has ever run as many times as Henry is on pace for.

If they don't back of him, then he won't make it through the season healthy and if he does, #1) He won't have much for the playoffs and #2) I can't see him making it through next year.  History tends to repeat itself.

3 minutes ago, dcblanton said:

If they don't back of him, then he won't make it through the season healthy and if he does, #1) He won't have much for the playoffs and #2) I can't see him making it through next year.  History tends to repeat itself.

Yeah I agree. I'm a hug proponent of spelling him. Which is why i was a big fan of bringing D.Evans on board.

You gotta hope that we can blow a few teams out and he's getting rest by the mid third Q a few times.

I sad earlier in the season that his pace was unsustainable. Luckily his carry load has slowed a bit the past few games.

16 minutes ago, patsplat said:

You've got this backwards.  Those Henry lines aren't atypical of a lot of Titans TD drives.  Titans were running the ball to shorten the game not to get first down yardage.  The difference is whether Tannehill makes the play to convert.   

Yes the Chiefs pass defense came on strong.  Adding Terrell Suggs made a huge difference.  The pass defense is what you should be proud of, because that plus the effectiveness of Mahomes is what makes the Chiefs dominate.

Henry ran for 34 times with a 5.4 yard average against the Pats.

Henry ran for 6.5 yards per carry with 30 carries against the Ravens.

The Titans ran for 8.2 yards a carry against the Chiefs in the regular season.

Suggs did help.  He helped the run defense.  And, in the first game, we didn't have Pennel either, who is one of our best run defenders.   In fact, KC radio was talking about why the Chiefs didn't use him.  Our defensive coordinator said that he gave a little too much respect to Tannehill for the game and didn't focus on stopping Henry.

They didn't make that mistake in the playoffs.