Sambrailo's play during the Texans game

oldschool

20 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I’m not even worried about Sombrero 

I didn’t know he started the first 5 games of the Denver SB team 

What's the story there? Did he get benched?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

NFLN aired the game yesterday and I decided to sit down and focus on Sambrailo after Lewan went out. Sambrailo was nothing short of fantastic outside of the 3rd and long sack/fumble he gave up to Watt

As long as he learns to not try and run with a fumble...SMH.   That play made me so mad.

I just went back and watched all of his snaps. A few thoughts:   Of course the sack fumble was a disaster, but that's a really tough position to be in for a guy coming in cold.   

2 minutes ago, 10 A See said:

It seemed like Watt gave him trouble maybe 3-4 times, but Tannehill unloaded the ball quickly, so it didn't matter. That said, there were no quick wins for Watt or anyone else he was lined up against after the fumble. And I agree he wasn't getting help either. Taylor could be traded in the offseason if Samb develops a bit. 

I only recall Watt getting semi close on an outside rush in the 4th but I wouldn't call it pressure. It looked like Sambrailo adjusted to Watt's speed rush and forced him wide a few times. I'm not going to say he was perfect on every play but if I'm being honest, there wasn't any drop off from Lewan in that game and likely the season so far. Even good Offensive lineman get beat sometimes.

1 hour ago, oldschool said:

NFLN aired the game yesterday and I decided to sit down and focus on Sambrailo after Lewan went out. Sambrailo was nothing short of fantastic outside of the 3rd and long sack/fumble he gave up to Watt on his 2nd play in the game. He mauled defenders in the run game and opened massive holes for Henry and McNichols. What was even more impressive is how he settled into pass protection. The Titans did not give him a lot of help and he delivered over and over. On the game tying drive he stonewalled Watt numerous times one on one. It will be interesting to see how he holds up against Dupree this week. Either way I think Sambrailo has shown he can be effective filling in for Lewan based on his snap count through 5 weeks. 

Im gonna have to back and rewatch now but I wouldnt be surprised. He gave up one sack to a future hall of famer and people were acting like he was just getting his ass kicked relentlessly. 

2 hours ago, Jonboy said:

What's the story there? Did he get benched?

2 hours ago, 10 A See said:

I think he got hurt, maybe to ir? Former 2nd round pick, so he's got talent. 

His wiki said it was 3 games and the. He got hurt. He started 4 the next year and played in 10 but he was healthy. So they thought he was easily replaced. That was his first two years in the league though 

Pittsburgh depends a lot on 5 man pressure.  Titans defeat those looks via Tannehill and Henry making plays, rather than via the OL winning matchups per se.

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I’m not even worried about Sombrero 

I didn’t know he started the first 5 games of the Denver SB team 

I did.  And surprised more people haven't mentioned that, or that he was a 2nd round pick.  Wasn't thought of as a scrub coming out.  He played at Colorado State, which was my EX father in law's school where he played, so I ended up following them a bit.

Didn't show up so much on paper, but what I would call Functionally Athletic.  Definitely more of a zone block scheme guy than power man scheme.  Not a run mauler but gives it some effort.  Long arms.  Was probably meant to be a RT more but whatever now.  Injuries have derailed his career as much as anything, so just have to hope that doesn't kick in again.  Was very happy we picked him up for depth.  Now extremely happy.  Like Rudy in a hotel room with a 15 year old happy.

So now have to hope that Wilson can become functional depth.... and that we don't need him outside of maybe a jumbo package.

Edited by chef

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

I keep going back to the fact damn near everyone forgot Sambrailo was in the game. Can you ask for more than that from a backup? I say no.

That's really what you want of all your OL: forget about them while you watch your skill players make plays.