Arthur Smith is Titan's MVP

No1TitansFan

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Attention Titans fans, this is what an offense with an elite qb running it looks like.  Tannehill's play is making everyone look great.  Smith is good at play design but someone still has to execute t

I think it’s pretty friggin’ great that we’re debating who has had the biggest role in making the Titans one of the NFL’s most dominant and prolific scoring offenses.

Did you not see RT's stats without playaction? He was great last season without playaction   The one game RT played last year without Henry he had a 133 passer rating and threw 3 TDs and 0 I

It's all about putting your best players in position to make plays, including RT; and Arthur is doing a hell of a good job of it in often somewhat unconventional ways. The MVP comment in the title was intended to be hyperbolic. 

Edited by No1TitansFan

1 hour ago, titanruss said:

So RT just doubled his QBR when he got here because he decided to?

added 33% to his passer rating because all of a sudden he learned how to play?

QBs matter a lot. OCs matter a lot. Scheme matters a ton. Scheme fit matters the most.

No. I said IN THE END. I didn't say it was all them.

RT was asked to do too much in Miami because of marginal talent around him. They wanted him to be Aaron Rodgers. If his talent was up to the task like a Rodgers he could likely handle it.

Instead, RT needs a run-first, PA offense that takes the pressure off. Every QB can have success in this offense. In fact, if you can't have some kind of marginal, game-manager success in this kind of offense you shouldn't be a starter.

However, when it comes to making this offense sing like it has, it lies with him.

Our offense doesn't ask our QB to do the heavy lifting, but it does give plenty of opportunities to shine if you have the talent. And as the QB gets used to it, you start letting him do more. Which is happening now.

A previous QB we had here couldn't even survive despite that. THATS HOW BAD HE WAS.

Edited by big2033

1 hour ago, oldschool said:

Tannehill was 22/25 on non playaction throws on Sunday.... next easily debunked argument please.

Well he threw the ball 10 times on the final drive... obviously your not running playaction in 2 min offense.

Out of 30 remaining passes 15 were playaction...Titans ran a heavy playaction offense vs the Texans

Which makes sense.

24 minutes ago, big2033 said:

RT was asked to do too much in Miami because of marginal talent around him. They wanted him to be Aaron Rodgers. If his talent was up to the task like a Rodgers he could likely handle it.

Instead, RT needs a run-first, PA offense that takes the pressure off. Every QB can have success in this offense. In fact, if you can't have some kind of marginal, game-manager success in this kind of offense you shouldn't be a starter.

However, when it comes to making this offense sing like it has, it lies with him.

Our offense doesn't ask our QB to do the heavy lifting, but it does give plenty of opportunities to shine if you have the talent. And as the QB gets used to it, you start letting him do more. Which is happening now.

I agree with all of this. I'm just tempering praise as a "top 5" guy until he shows he can do more and improve his QBR on second and 3rd reads. Beat good teams if DH goes down... etc.

23 minutes ago, big2033 said:

A previous QB we had here couldn't even survive despite that. THATS HOW BAD HE WAS.

RT failed in Miami largely due to horrid OL play, which allowed defenses to exploit his weakness - passing under duress.  The Titans OL, for the most part, is good at pass protection whether it's with or without play action.

Play action is not used to protect the QB.  Play action is used formationally to get one on one matchups for explosive pass plays down the field. 

Tannehill is a very accurate passer with upper tier arm strength when he has time to throw.  That didn't magically appear and would succeed in any scheme per se provided the pass protection is good.

5 minutes ago, titanruss said:

I agree with all of this. I'm just tempering praise as a "top 5" guy until he shows he can do more and improve his QBR on second and 3rd reads. Beat good teams if DH goes down... etc.

LOL.  A Mariota homer tempering praise on Tannehill and clinging to scheme fit and OC's......We all know why you don't want to credit how good Tannehill and make no mistake - he's been ELITE since taking over for dumb dumb.  Thankfully, your opinion is as completely worthless as Scine's on this subject.

11 minutes ago, titanruss said:

LOL, what more can he do?  For the last year, he's had similar or slightly better numbers than Mahomes.

1 hour ago, BudAdams said:

The most reasonable explanation for RT being great here and not in Miami is that the Dolphins OL/pass protection consistently was at the bottom of the NFL whereas the Titans have a good OL.  Anyone watching Tannehill knows that his one big weakness, as with many QB's, is when he's under duress. 

Dolphin pass protection rankings from PFF:  2013 - 21st, 2014 - 32nd, 2015 - 31st, 2016 - 30th, 2018 - 27th

The Titans pass protection rankings:  8th in 2019, 2nd in 2020.

I think its this, much better coaching and the fact that he definitely upped his game overall. For example, Tanny in Miami was a bad deep ball thrower. He's close to elite here in that area. He is also a little better at getting the ball out quicker

I was waiting for this season to say it, but he's obviously a top 5 QB at this point, it isn't really a debate

1 hour ago, IrishTitansFan said:

I think its this, much better coaching and the fact that he definitely upped his game overall. For example, Tanny in Miami was a bad deep ball thrower. He's close to elite here in that area. He is also a little better at getting the ball out quicker

I was waiting for this season to say it, but he's obviously a top 5 QB at this point, it isn't really a debate

So going from one of the worst teams in terms of pass protection to one of the best is a minimal factor?  I think it's a huge reason why he's been consistently great here.  If you pressure him in the pocket, it goes downhill for him quick but the same applies to pretty much every QB outside of Wilson or Mahomes.

He's deadly accurate when he has time to read the field and make the throws.  That didn't just happen.

37 minutes ago, unauthorizedcinnamon said:

Great video of the throws vs Texans break down.

The guy goes on about the offensive play calling and credits Smith alot. If you have time in your hands I'd suggest you watch the whole video.

He does a good job reviewing plays for various QB's.  I like his content.

1 hour ago, rns90 said:

LOL, what more can he do?  For the last year, he's had similar or slightly better numbers than Mahomes.

I define top 5 differently. I define that as being successful in any offense and I dont think RT is that guy .. yet. 

So what could he do? Create on his own more for one. Better pocket awareness (though that does look better this season)

I'd like to see his ratings after his 1st read be above 30th in the league.  That last one may be fixed already but last year it was RT hitting the first read in Arthur Smith playcalls and after that PFF had him like 32nd/33rd

Don't get me wrong. I think hes been great and is a perfect fit for this offense and his numbers are pretty damn close to top 5.

9 minutes ago, titanruss said:

I define top 5 differently. I define that as being successful in any offense and I dont think RT is that guy .. yet. 

So what could he do? Create on his own more for one. Better pocket awareness (though that does look better this season)

I'd like to see his ratings after his 1st read be above 30th in the league.  That last one may be fixed already but last year it was RT hitting the first read in Arthur Smith playcalls and after that PFF had him like 32nd/33rd

Don't get me wrong. I think hes been great and is a perfect fit for this offense and his numbers are pretty damn close to top 5.

Two weeks in a row he’s made good plays buying time scrambling and finding his WRs downfield. In my mind that was one of his weaknesses and something the fins fans mentioned several times. If he can add that to his arsenal then he is going to be almost impossible to stop. He’s entrenched himself as a top 5 QB, but he can move up the ladder to top 3 if he can keep developing his scramble drill. 

36 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

So going from one of the worst teams in terms of pass protection to one of the best is a minimal factor?  I think it's a huge reason why he's been consistently great here.  If you pressure him in the pocket, it goes downhill for him quick but the same applies to pretty much every QB outside of Wilson or Mahomes.

He's deadly accurate when he has time to read the field and make the throws.  That didn't just happen.

No I think it's a pretty big factor. I just think the coaching has helped him take an extra jump as a QB too. I think regardless of the talent around him he's developed into a much better QB than he was in Miami 

Edited by IrishTitansFan