AvgJoe

What’s Our Defensive Scheme?

It’s obvious this team is not good defensively really at any facet save for Simmons and probably Landry. When you look at the talent, on paper, it’s one of the more talented groups across the NFL. Yet, week after week, teams have their way with us. It’s ok that we don’t get sacks, but this team is not getting pressure. It doesn’t play contain. TE’s and WR’s run 5 yards open on nearly every play. 

Normally a team is good at stopping the run or stopping the pass. This team sucks at both and offenses impose their will.

This team has Simmons, Clowney, Landry, Beasley, Evans, Jayon, Byard, and Vaccaro. What is the issue? Are players regressing? Is the scheme that bad? And what exactly is the scheme? How much are we missing the MLB’s Coach that left?

Unless this team gets TO’s, it’s unable to get off the field on even 3rd and long. It’s going to catch up with us at some point and they need to get this shit figured out. Imagine what Mahomes or Wilson will/would do to us

Edited by AvgJoe

I think it's both scheme and players.  There was play in the first quarter--third and long and the Texans throw this short pass and 2 or 3 of our guys whiff and the Texans get a first down.  Plus Brown has regressed as a coverage linebacker.

And the scheme is this really soft man off type.   Makes it easy on qb to do pitch and catch.   That's on scheme. 

I think they do get decent pressure but they just don't get there enough for sacks and the qb runs around and buys enough time to throw for a first down.

1 minute ago, rns90 said:

I think it's both scheme and players.  There was play in the first quarter--third and long and the Texans throw this short pass and 2 or 3 of our guys whiff and the Texans get a first down.  Plus Brown has regressed as a coverage linebacker.

And the scheme is this really soft man off type.   Makes it easy on qb to do pitch and catch.   That's on scheme. 

I think they do get decent pressure but they just don't get there enough for sacks and the qb runs around and buys enough time to throw for a first down.

It's interesting that we're running this soft off-man shit when Fulton, Butler, and Adoree are all primarily press-man guys who excel when they can get a hand on the receiver early and feel him throughout the route. I get it situationally but I feel like our "base" should be straight up man coverage close to the LOS

They play soft as hell and I said in the game thread they need to start over and take chances blitzing on almost every down mixing zone and man principles on the back end. There needs to be at least 5 after the QB every play because they had the most success bringing extra guys after Watson which was maybe 3 times the entire game. Offense is more than capable playing in shootouts evidenced by the last 2 weeks so who cares about game control. All I care about is scoring as many points as possible

Edited by Maker84

We miss Pees. Vrabel sucks coordinating defenses. No excuses for being as bad as we are. None. It's mostly on the coaches. Although I know the players are at fault as well. 

Going into today, the Titans were 9th in points allowed and 1st in long pass plays. 

We did allow the long ball today due to the blown coverage. 

Its well known that Vrabel/Pees/Belichick simply do not care about yards allowed. 

The real issue we have is third down and red zone pass defense, we need work in this area. 

But as far as the scheme, it is so multiple that is designed to be changed week to week. It involves multiple zone coverages, mix/morph coverage, man coverage and it involves 2,3, 4, and 5 man fronts. They run simulated pressures with, according to Pees, the ability to blitz any player on the firld while dropping another player to make up for the coverage loss.  

The defense needs work in critical areas. But it is not reliant on sacks or upfield pressure, and its not as bad as people think from the layman’s eye. 

The problem is so hard to nail down because it's really everything. Coverage is way too soft on the outside, and the pass rush isn't getting there. 

I'm in the camp that thinks Adoree will make a major difference immediately. Joseph is a total liability at this point. Butler is too, but you can't have two or three liabilities out there. Fulton will get better. Joseph will get worse.

Edited by kgsTitan

11 minutes ago, TF_Titan said:

Pray for a turnover.

Best response I've seen LOL. Short, simple and factual lol. I really don't understand how our pass rush is so awful. We wasted money at this point lol.

6 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

It's interesting that we're running this soft off-man shit when Fulton, Butler, and Adoree are all primarily press-man guys who excel when they can get a hand on the receiver early and feel him throughout the route. I get it situationally but I feel like our "base" should be straight up man coverage close to the LOS

It’s interesting that we’re playing soft zones and off man when we’re playing Fuller/Stills/Cooks? With a scrambling QB? 

You guys realize that we’d get absolutely roasted playing man right? And Watson would run for like 150 with our corners turning their backs on the QB constantly? 

You seriously want this pedestrian CB group, missing Adoree, playing more man coverage? 

No thank you, I’d rather not get totally obliterated on deep passes constantly and at least give the offense a chance. 

Just now, oldschool said:

They are protecting Fulton and Joseph. 

Thank you. 

Imagine Joseph playing man coverage on Fuller. LOL.