Homegrown Hate-The War Among Us

Number9

1 minute ago, Mercalius said:

I take none of this too seriously.  People agree and have commonality on roughly 90-95% of their personal preferences.  The remaining percent, as contentious as it can be, is largely dissolved when folks get in a room and actually talk to one another.  All this flexing online is largely for the ego and immediately dissipates once the next thread page begins.  Clearly we all (mostly) like each other around here even if we wished certain viewpoints were different.  It’s why we’re all still here, through all the shit talk.  Until recently it certainly wasn’t because of the Titans play lol. 

I’m going with deal. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And on the "homegrown hate" front:    

Not a democrat either. I have supported Republicans in the past on levels as high as governor (even supported the guy who voted for a dead person, which embarrasses me).    I read what peopl

I put this YouTube up because it's time for everybody, including @Mercalius @Little Earl  @SleepingTitan  @El Guapo and my friend @Soxcat to accept that Donald Trump refused to condemn white separatis

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I didn’t mean it in a bad way. 

It is a contentious situation. I personally don’t think the president is necessarily racist in terms of how we understand it today. I think he sees things more through a lens of class,  

In America, race is our most prevalent, complicated issue. It is coded into virtually every aspect of society in ways that are both subtle and not. This is reflected in how our communities and cultural groups code things as racist or not and the implications of the racist label and how that intersects with white guilt. Trump has certainly done things that are explicitly racist, I think he also has a lot of supporters who are non-white, allies who are non-white, and has positive relationships devoid of racist ideology. 

We are taught to view racism in a cartoonish way, which impacts progress. Racism must mean that hate-filled, blood boiling, clan robe wearing monster of a person, irredeemable. 

This cultural output has certainly contributed to sentiments that form groups like the Proud Boys, many factions of which are less about white supremacy and more anti-white guilt--a relatively new thing in this country. 

The most dangerous aspects of Trump's presidency are the rise of anti-immigrant sentiment and how this has fueled a truly horrific treatment of many people, a thing that even at this point it is clear history will objectively condemn. In this case, the rhetoric of criminality is the justification. This has been repeated throughout history, not just American, ad nauseum. 

Maybe the problem is that we can't look at racism with any kind of nuance. I am not sure we really can, as a collective society.

I try to focus more on how systemic racism influences the actions of individuals, but at the same time we are discussing the person who has more systemic power than anyone else. 

2 hours ago, Mercalius said:

Funny how these dog whistles are overwhelming heard and recognized by the far left.  I thought only dogs heard the dog whistles?

Dogs, and machines monitoring for the audio frequency.

Personally, I don't think Trump is enacting some concerted effort to enhance the white supremacy movement using his power as president, as would be the suggestion if he is a supporter of their cause. However, a lot of what he believes and at least claims to support and be about is shared - the circles in the venn diagram have a lot of overlap. Politically, he does have to be careful because of that. If people can claim they're fed up with the political class, I think it's fair for people to claim they're disgusted by Trump for this political configuration he embraces.

I always hear about how Biden is a puppet of the extreme left, but what has Trump done to distance himself from these types of people? because it obviously isn't working and he doesn't seem to care. To me, that is where the genuine criticism can be found. I get that, as a candidate or movement or whatever, you can't choose who else decides to lend their support to you, but you can choose how you react to it, and so far, it's at best been a lousy listless reaction from Trump if he is trying to distance himself and his brand from it, usually requiring combative reporters to draw it out, often like pulling teeth. The "oh I don't know who they are" act of his tired and played out now, wake the fuck up and inform yourself you clown - they are using your name for their cause!

This is not some lame force, this is a serious threat in the US as clearly noted by 3 letter law enforcement and anti-terror agencies, and it requires a leader who treats it with the seriousness it deserves. That's where the racism is as it stands now, because there is no way in hell he'd be this ill informed and disinterested in it if the supremacy was anything but white.

I am ready for this election, covid, 2020, masks, statues going down, defund police, racism, and boiling anger to just be fucking over. Regardless of results. I will hate Democrat policies if they win but on my deathbed, it will not mean shit. My goal is to enjoy life more, post in politics less, and spend more time with my family. Maybe improve on guitar. Maybe putt the ball better. Maybe actually take more time off. 

I absolutely understand why Democrats want to paint Trump as worse than he really is.  

Having said that, this shit ain't hard.  We've all seen it.  It's been in our faces for years now.  Trump might not be a KKK racist who likes to string up black people but his dad did get arrested at a KKK gathering.  He's been sued several times for discrimination.  He's made several remarks that most reasonable people would say were insensitive and derogatory towards minorities.  He's been accused of using denigrating language behind closed doors by several credible people.  We all saw him on tape how he really talks about women when he doesn't think the public is watching.  I'm not even going to go into the NY five or the tenant situations he's had in NYC.  

And then you want to pretend like the Proud Boys, who have repeatedly gone on the air and called for violence, to the point of being targeted by authorities as a terrorist group, is not racist.  Bro, what the fuck are you talking about?

1 minute ago, Justafan said:

I absolutely understand why Democrats want to paint Trump as worse than he really is.  

Weren't you a John Kelly fan?

Marine Gen. John Kelly, has told friends that President Donald Trump "is the most flawed person" he's ever known.

Just now, OILERMAN said:

Weren't you a John Kelly fan?

Marine Gen. John Kelly, has told friends that President Donald Trump "is the most flawed person" he's ever known.

Never met him but I have respect for his service and the road I know he took to get there.  One more guy who had his reputation ruined for trying to do his job under the worst administration in US history.  

Mattis and Lemaster basically said the same thing.  Funny how some of the most respected Generals of the last generation all had the same things to say about Trump.  

Military brass and Trump will always be at odds because he has tried to slow down military spending, bring troops home, and that impacts wallets and job opportunities.  This isn't about that though.  These guys believe every word of what they are saying about Trump.  

1 hour ago, LongTimeFan said:

Like HBCU funding?

Are you talking about signing a bill that Congress passed, where if he didn't sign it, he would have looked even more like a racist?

Just to be clear in case anyone has missed this in the past, I don't consider myself a Democrat and think that party is plenty fucked up too.

Edited by abenjami

6 hours ago, abenjami said:

Are you talking about signing a bill that Congress passed, where if he didn't sign it, he would have looked even more like a racist?

Just to be clear in case anyone has missed this in the past, I don't consider myself a Democrat and think that party is plenty fucked up too.

Not a democrat either. I have supported Republicans in the past on levels as high as governor (even supported the guy who voted for a dead person, which embarrasses me). 

I read what people write and I honestly don't understand how most Americans see what they see. 

I truly don't believe people are paying attention to Trump, or they've been desensitized towards him. I don't know how else to call it. It's so far beyond what "normal" should be. 

Even the posts in this thread. I just don't understand it. 

Edited by Bink