3rd down defense is a big problem. Bend but don't break has to work better to get off the field. 

I do see some progress of improvement. I don't think we will stay dead last in 3rd down defense. 

13 minutes ago, Supdawg said:

3rd down defense is a big problem. Bend but don't break has to work better to get off the field. 

I do see some progress of improvement. I don't think we will stay dead last in 3rd down defense. 

Simmons being out was a boost for their offense. I have a feeling if he played Allen would have been running for his life every dropback. When we get him and Adoree back this d will come together. Just hope noone else major goes out.

Personally I could care less about those numbers. What I've been seeing with my own eyes has not been good. So called experts also refuse to acknowledge Tannehill and statistical facts in his production.

I don't need people to tell me what I'm seeing. I been watching Football a long time and I know good defense when I see it, and we do not play sound defense. Abysmal pass rush and terrible 3rd down defense, and terrible coverage. Oh and let's also mention the fact we haven't played a top 15 quarterback yet.

I don't need other people to tell me what I'm seeing. I can think and observe with my own eyes. This is just more fluff bull crap to try to give credit somewhere else rather than giving Tannehill props for winning us ball games with his arm because your so called experts WERE WRONG ABOUT HIM & hate to admit it lol.

Edited by Makaveli

1 hour ago, Supdawg said:

Whenever Adoree comes back it should improve a ton. 

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

Listening to some experts and looking at some stats I think the Titans defense might be better than I thought and I believe they will get even better. 

They are currently 9th in points allowed per game, which is really all that matters. They are 2nd in takeaways per game and they have allowed the fewest 20+ pass plays this season(one less game than most teams/bye). They are also 7th in opposing passer rating. Thse are the most important defensive stats. 

I listened to Chris Simms throw out some interesting stats. QBs are absolutely killing the blitz this season, even the rookie QBs. If you are blitzing you really don't know what you are doing. You have to play coverage in the NFL today. He specifically pointed out how good the game plan was vs the Bills. The Bills have a big play offense and the Titans gave up a long of 22 yards to Yeldon for the TD, which was a crazy lazer pass. 

The Titans have been in one game(Vikes) where the opposing team had to drop back and throw and the Titans pass rush looked dominant. 

Warren Sharp pointed out that the Titans gave up 13 of 17 3rd downs vs the Bills but said the real issue the Bill had was having 17 3rd downs in the first place. The Bills had to scratch and claw down the field and turned the ball over and had penalties. They had 10 points before the game was out of reach. 

Interestingly the Titans and Pats are very similar in some of the stats. Not many sacks but they don't give up any big plays, both teams play coverage more than pressure and they are both top 3 in takeaways per game. 

Dude. Just watch the games. We need to do better. We have to do better if we’re gonna get anywhere. Numbers mean jack diddly in hindsight. 

We’re getting some starters back. That is encouraging. 

These assholes don’t watch the games like we do. They don’t see every play with the eagle’s eye.

Goddamnit. We’re the professionals here. 

I agree with the optimism on defense.  Stats aside we've had a bunch of core players miss time (adoree, simmons, evans) and a few that have should make more impact as the season goes on (incl. Clowney).  Personally I don't like to read too much into season stats this early in the year but the pass rush info is interesting. 

I also think our def coaching is exceptional.  Lots of reason to be optimistic

I also think once the crowds get larger the defense will get better, call me crazy, but the defense was noticeably better with a crowd.

The biggest thing is that offensive numbers are up league wide. We have watched the Titans D giving up more points than they were last year and it seems like they are struggling, but it seems like it’s not just us. I think a lot of it is the general lack of holding calls on the OLine changing the balance. 

Edited by Starkiller

The Titans have played 2 bad offenses and 2 good offenses. Sure they've bowed up in their own territory but they have to play much better. That starts with getting Jackson back and Brown, Evans, and Byard playing up to their ability. The last piece is to play better on 3rd down and 3rd and long in particular. If they can do those things the defense will be plenty good enough to win a superbowl with.

49 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

The biggest thing is that offensive numbers are up league wide. We have watched the Titans D giving up more points than they were last year and it seems like they are struggling, but it seems like it’s not just us. I think a lot of it is the general lack of holding calls on the OLine changing the balance. 

The NFL legalized holding.